Background: Previous studies have reported significant correlations, indicating an emerging relationship, between severity of auditory hallucinations and reduced size of temporal lobe cortical regions implicated in language processing. The present study used high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanning, along with assessment of functional lateralization via a dichotic listening task (DLT), to extend these findings.
Methods: Thirty patients with schizophrenia and a history of auditory hallucinations participated in the study. All were completely right-handed. Eleven subjects were currently hallucinating at the time of the study. Volumetric T1-weighted MRI scans were obtained and regions of interest were manually traced using the BRAINS package (
Andreasen et al 1993). Whole brain, bilateral temporal lobe, and anterior superior temporal gyrus volumes were calculated. Subjects completed a binaural consonant–vowel DLT.
- Andreasen N.C
- Cizadlo T
- Harris G
- et al.
Voxel processing techniques for the antemortem study of neuroanatomy and neuropathology using magnetic resonance imaging.
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1993; 5: 121-130
Results: Increased severity of hallucinatory experience was significantly associated with smaller left anterior superior temporal gyrus volumes. Current hallucinators demonstrated a reduction in right ear advantage on the DLT.
Conclusions: The results suggest that auditory hallucinations are subserved by a trait-like dysfunction in language-related neural networks, of which the superior temporal cortex forms one component. The findings are also consistent with theories proposing abnormal lateralization in the etiology of auditory hallucinations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd ed. revised. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1987
- The Scale for the Assessment of Negative Symptoms (SANS). The University of Iowa, Iowa City1983
- The Scale for the Assessment of Positive Symptoms (SAPS). The University of Iowa, Iowa City1984
- Voxel processing techniques for the antemortem study of neuroanatomy and neuropathology using magnetic resonance imaging.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1993; 5: 121-130
- Automatic atlas-based volume estimation of human brain regions from MR images.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1996; 20: 98-106
- A classification of hand preference by association analysis.Br J Psychol. 1970; 61: 303-321
- The distinction of positive and negative symptoms, the failure of a two-dimensional model.Br J Psychiatry. 1991; 158: 317-322
- Auditory hallucinations and smaller superior temporal gyral volume in schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1990; 147: 1459-1462
- Reliability of in vivo volume measures of hippocampus and other brain structures using MRI.Magn Reson Imaging. 1993; 11: 993-1006
- Smaller right ear (left hemisphere) advantage for dichotic fused words in patients with schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1995; 152: 932-935
- Increased basal ganglia blood flow during memory activation in schizophrenia, relationship with auditory hallucinations.Schizophr Res. 1995; 15: 79
- Regional brain metabolism during auditory hallucinations in chronic schizophrenia.Br J Psychiatry. 1990; 157: 562-570
- Temporal lobe asymmetries as the key to the etiology of schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 1990; 16: 433-443
- Brain asymmetry. MIT Press, Cambridge1995
- Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test—revised manual. American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, MN1981
- Symptom dimensions and brain morphology in schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders.J Psychiatr Res. 1995; 29: 261-276
- Effects of diagnosis, laterality, and gender on brain morphology in schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1995; 152: 704-714
- Reliability of cerebral measures in repeated examinations with magnetic resonance imaging.Psychiatry Res. 1995; 61: 113-119
- Dichotic listening during auditory hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1994; 151: 357-362
- Verbal hallucinations and language production processes in schizophrenia.Behav Brain Sci. 1986; 9: 503-548
- Patterns of cerebral blood flow in schizophrenia.Br J Psychiatry. 1992; 160: 179-186
- Correction for head size in brain-imaging measurements.Psychiatry Res. 1993; 50: 121-139
- Dichotic listening in schizophrenia and its relationship to clinical symptomatology.Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 1993; 9: 166-167
- Neuropsychological correlates of MRI temporal lobe abnormalities in schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1993; 150: 1849-1855
- The brain’s record of auditory and visual experience, a final summary and conclusion.Brain. 1963; 86: 595-696
- Abnormalities of the left temporal lobe and thought disorder in schizophrenia.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 604-612
- Sensory Deception. Croom Helm, London1988
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R, Patient Edition (SCID-P, Version 1.0). American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1990
- Oxford University Press, New York1991: 280-282 A Compendium of Neuropsychological Tests.
- Left Brain, Right Brain. Freeman, New York1981
- Cerebral asymmetry, MR planimetry of the human planum temporale.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1989; 13: 996-1005
- The ventricular-brain ratio using planimetric measurement of EMI scans.Br J Radiol. 1976; 49: 233-237
- Language and thought disorder in schizophrenia, brain morphological correlates.Schizophr Res. 1995; 15: 243-251
- Dichotic listening asymmetries and psychotic symptoms in schizophrenia, a preliminary report.Psychiatry Res. 1988; 25: 31-39
- Functional correlates of temporal lobe neuroanatomy in schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 1997; 42: 72S
- Cerebral laterality, symptoms, and diagnosis in psychotic patients.Biol Psychiatry. 1991; 29: 103-116
- The ventricular-brain ratio on computed tomography scans, validity and proper use.Psychiatry Res. 1983; 8: 207-214
Accepted: November 19, 1998
Received in revised form: November 12, 1998
Received: August 29, 1997
© 1999 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.