Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
- Conserved cell types with divergent features in human versus mouse cortex.Nature. 2019; : 61-68
Kasthuri N, Hayworth KJ, Berger DR, Schalek RL, Conchello JA, Knowles-Barley S, et al. (2015): Saturated reconstruction of a volume of neocortex. Cell 162: 648–661.
- The fuzzy logic of network connectivity in mouse visual thalamus.Cell. 2016; 165: 192-206
- Large-volume en-bloc staining for electron microscopy-based connectomics.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 7923
- High-resolution whole-brain staining for electron microscopic circuit reconstruction.Nat Methods. 2015; 12: 541-546
- A connectome and analysis of the adult Drosophila central brain.Elife. 2020; 9https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.57443
- A petascale automated imaging pipeline for mapping neuronal circuits with high-throughput transmission electron microscopy.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 4949
- Connectomes across development reveal principles of brain maturation.Nature. 2021; 596: 257-261
- High-contrast en bloc staining of neuronal tissue for field emission scanning electron microscopy.Nat Protoc. 2012; 7: 193-206
- Functional connectomics spanning multiple areas of mouse visual cortex.BioRxiv. bioRxiv. 2021 July 29; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.28.454025
- Reconstruction of neocortex: Organelles, compartments, cells, circuits, and activity.Cell. 2022; 185: 1082-1100.e24
- Why not connectomics?.Nat Methods. 2013; 10: 494-500
- The big data challenges of connectomics.Nat Neurosci. 2014; 17: 1448-1454
- Researchers add live human cells to brain database.Nature. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1038/nature.2017.22889
Shapson-Coe A, Januszewski M, Berger DR, Pope A (2021): A connectomic study of a petascale fragment of human cerebral cortex. bioRxiv. Retrieved from https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.29.446289v1.abstract
- Connectomic comparison of mouse and human cortex.Science. 2022; 377eabo0924
- Deep brain stimulation of the substantia nigra pars reticulata for treatment-resistant schizophrenia: A case report.Biol Psychiatry. 2021; 90 (–e59): e57
- Scanning and transmission electron microscopy of the ependyma of the fourth ventricle in the monkey brain.Acta Anat (Basel). 1982; 112: 365-375
- Preparation of non-human primate brain tissue for pre-embedding immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy.J Vis Exp. 2017; https://doi.org/10.3791/55397
- April 1): High-contrast en-bloc staining of mouse whole-brain samples for EM-based connectomics.BioRxiv. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.03.30.486341
- Perfusion-fixation of the human brain for immunohistochemistry: comparison with immersion-fixation.J Neurosci Methods. 1987; 19: 183-192
- The extracellular space in the edematous human cerebral cortex: an electron microscopic study using cortical biopsies.Ultrastruct Pathol. 2009; 33: 102-111
- Three-dimensional relationships between perisynaptic astroglia and human hippocampal synapses.Glia. 2010; 58: 572-587
- FIB/SEM technology and Alzheimer’s disease: three-dimensional analysis of human cortical synapses.J Alzheimers Dis. 2013; 34: 995-1013
- 3D electron microscopy study of synaptic organization of the normal human transentorhinal cortex and its possible alterations in Alzheimer’s disease.eNeuro. 2019; 6 (ENEURO.0140-19.2019)
- Ultrastructural heterogeneity of layer 4 excitatory synaptic boutons in the adult human temporal lobe neocortex.Elife. 2019; 8https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.48373
- Circuit reorganization shapes the developing human foveal midget connectome toward single-cone resolution.Neuron. 2020; 108: 905-918.e3
- Imaging ATUM ultrathin section libraries with WaferMapper: a multi-scale approach to EM reconstruction of neural circuits.Front Neural Circuits. 2014; 8: 68
Eberle A, Mikula S, Schalek R, Lichtman JW, Tate D (2015): High-resolution, High-throughput Imaging with a Multibeam Scannig Electron Microscope. 29.
Saalfeld S, Fetter R, Cardona A, Tomancak P (2012): Elastic volume reconstruction from series of ultra-thin microscopy sections. Nat Methods 9: 717–720.
Meirovitch Y, Matveev A, Saribekyan H, Budden D, Rolnick D, Odor G, et al. (2016, December 7): A multi-pass approach to large-scale connectomics. ArXiv [q-Bio.QM]. Retrieved from http://arxiv.org/abs/1612.02120
Meirovitch Y, Mi Lu, Saribekyan H, Matveev A, Rolnick D, Shavit N (2019): Cross-Classification Clustering: An Efficient Multi-Object Tracking Technique for 3-D Instance Segmentation in Connectomics. Proceedings of the IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 8425–8435.
- A formaldehydeglutaraldehyde fixative of high osmolality for use in electron microscopy.J Cell Biol. 1965; 27
- Extracellular space preservation aids the connectomic analysis of neural circuits.Elife. 2015; 4https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.08206
Wakai A, McCabe A, Roberts I, Schierhout G (2013): Mannitol for acute traumatic brain injury. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD001049.
- Hyperosmotic stress induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition through rearrangements of focal adhesions in tubular epithelial cells.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0261345
Tenny S, Patel R, Thorell W (2022): Mannitol. StatPearls [Internet]. StatPearls Publishing.
- The cellular mechanisms of neuronal swelling underlying cytotoxic edema.Cell. 2015; 161: 610-621
- An evaluation of fixation methods: Spatial and compositional cellular changes observed by Raman imaging.Vib Spectrosc. 2017; 91: 31-45
- Cytochemical staining procedures selective for sarcotubular systems of muscle: modifications and applications.J Ultrastruct Res. 1977; 60: 306-327
- The structure of the endoplasmic reticulum revealed by osmium tetroxide-potassium ferricyanide staining.Eur J Cell Biol. 1981; 26: 102-111
- The reactions between formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde and osmium tetroxide, and their fixation effects o bovine serum albumin and on tissue blocks.Histochemie. 1970; 24: 50-64
Hayat MA (1981): Fixation for Electron Microscopy. Academic Press.
- Factors affecting ultrastructural quality in the prefrontal cortex of the postmortem human brain.J Histochem Cytochem. 2019; 67: 185-202
- Critical assessment of the involvement of perforations, spinules, and spine branching in hippocampal synapse formation.J Comp Neurol. 1998; 398: 225-240
- Trans-endocytosis via spinules in adult rat hippocampus.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 4233-4241
- Rapid turnover of spinules at synaptic terminals.Neuroscience. 2009; 160: 42-50
- Invaginating structures in mammalian synapses.Front Synaptic Neurosci. 2018; 10: 4
- Invaginating structures in synapses - perspective.Front Synaptic Neurosci. 2021; 13685052
- Cytonemes with complex geometries and composition extend into invaginations of target cells.J Cell Biol. 2021; 220https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.202101116
Makarov V, Zueva L, Sanabria P, Wessinger WD, Golubeva T, Khmelinskii I, Inyushin M (2015): On the role of the blood vessel endothelial microvilli in the blood flow in small capillaries. J Biophys 2015: 529746.
- Functional changes in frog neuromuscular junctions studied with freeze-fracture.J Neurocytol. 1974; 3: 109-131
- Synaptic vesicle exocytosis captured by quick freezing and correlated with quantal transmitter release.J Cell Biol. 1979; 81: 275-300
- Structural changes after transmitter release at the frog neuromuscular junction.J Cell Biol. 1981; 88: 564-580
- Review of electron microscopic evidence favouring vesicle exocytosis as the structural basis for quantal release during synaptic transmission.Q J Exp Physiol. 1989; 74: 1051-1069
- Active zone material-directed orientation, docking, and fusion of dense core vesicles alongside synaptic vesicles at neuromuscular junctions.Front Neuroanat. 2018; 12: 72
- The chemical nature of osmium tetroxide fixation and staining of membranes by x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1976; 436: 577-592
- Quantitative 3D ultrastructure of thalamocortical synapses from the “lemniscal” ventral posteromedial nucleus in mouse barrel cortex.Cereb Cortex. 2018; 28: 3159-3175
- Synaptic organization of the human temporal lobe neocortex as revealed by high-resolution transmission, focused ion beam scanning, and electron microscopic tomography.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 5558
- Glycogen, its chemistry and morphological appearance in the electron microscope. II. The complex formed in the selective contrast staining of glycogen.Histochem J. 1975; 7: 205-229
- Glycogen, its chemistry and morphological appearance in the electron microscope. III. Identification of the tissue ligands involved in the glycogen contrast staining reaction with the osmium (VI)--iron(II) complex.Histochem J. 1976; 8: 121-142
- Timing of neuronal and glial ultrastructure disruption during brain slice preparation and recovery in vitro.J Comp Neurol. 2003; 465: 90-103
- Effects of various fixatives and temperature on the quality of glycogen demonstration in the brain and liver tissues.Ann Diagn Pathol. 2020; 48151604
- The effect of fixatives and temperature on the quality of glycogen demonstration.Biotech Histochem. 2010; 85: 93-98
Woods A E and Stirling J W (2019): Transmission electron microscopy. Bancroft’s Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques. Elsevier, pp 434–475.
- Three-dimensional ultrastructure of the brain pericyte-endothelial interface.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2021; 41: 2185-2200
- Organization and signaling of endothelial cell-to-cell junctions in various regions of the blood and lymphatic vascular trees.Cell Tissue Res. 2009; 335: 17-25
- Definition of the readily releasable pool of vesicles at hippocampal synapses.Neuron. 1996; 16: 1197-1207
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
NK and JWL conceived the study. NK designed, performed experiments, and collected data. NK and JWL analyzed data. JWL assessed the quality of data. AWC facilitated collection of human cortical biopsies. BHK harvested human cortical biopsies. NK and AWC collected the human biopsies. NK and RLS performed section cutting, screening and multibeam imaging. YW aligned the human and mouse datasets. NK did manual segmentation in both human and mouse datasets. YM did automatic segmentation of the mouse dataset and computed the largest objects in the volume. NK and YM generated ground truth for automatic segmentation of mouse dataset. DW generated meshes of automatically segmented objects and assessed largest objects. YW wrote the MATLAB script for assessment of ECS and for statistical assessment of omegas. NK and JWL wrote the manuscript.
The authors declare no biomedical financial interests nor conflict of interest.