Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acamprosate for the treatment of alcohol dependence.Clin Ther. 2005; 27: 695-714
- [Psychosocial Treatment of Addictive Disorders--An Overview of Psychotherapeutic Options and their Efficacy].Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr. 2015; 83: 201-210
- Role of cues and contexts on drug-seeking behaviour.Br J Pharmacol. 2014; 171: 4636-4672
- Evidence for incentive salience sensitization as a pathway to alcohol use disorder.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2019; 107: 897-926
- Ethanol-associated cues produce general pavlovian-instrumental transfer.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007; 31: 766-774
- The role of Pavlovian cues in alcohol seeking in dependent and nondependent rats.J Stud Alcohol. 2005; 66: 53-61
- Neural systems of reinforcement for drug addiction: from actions to habits to compulsion.Nat Neurosci. 2005; 8: 1481-1489
- Inactivation of the lateral but not medial dorsal striatum eliminates the excitatory impact of Pavlovian stimuli on instrumental responding.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 13977-13981
- Appetitive Pavlovian-instrumental Transfer: A review.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2016; 71: 829-848
- Disentangling the roles of approach, activation and valence in instrumental and pavlovian responding.PLoS Comput Biol. 2011; 7e1002028
- Double dissociation of basolateral and central amygdala lesions on the general and outcome-specific forms of pavlovian-instrumental transfer.J Neurosci. 2005; 25: 962-970
- The general and outcome-specific forms of Pavlovian-instrumental transfer are differentially mediated by the nucleus accumbens core and shell.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 11786-11794
- The three principles of action: a Pavlovian-instrumental transfer hypothesis.Front Behav Neurosci. 2013; 7: 153
- Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer in cocaine seeking rats.Behav Neurosci. 2012; 126: 681-689
- Repeated cocaine exposure facilitates the expression of incentive motivation and induces habitual control in rats.PLoS One. 2013; 8e61355
- Impact of repeated intravenous cocaine administration on incentive motivation depends on mode of drug delivery.Addict Biol. 2014; 19: 965-971
- Phasic mesolimbic dopamine signaling encodes the facilitation of incentive motivation produced by repeated cocaine exposure.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014; 39: 2441-2449
- Neural correlates of Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer in the nucleus accumbens shell are selectively potentiated following cocaine self-administration.Eur J Neurosci. 2011; 33: 2274-2287
- Prior chronic alcohol exposure enhances Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer.Alcohol. 2021; 96: 83-92
- Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer in alcohol dependence: a pilot study.Neuropsychobiology. 2014; 70: 111-121
- Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer effects in the nucleus accumbens relate to relapse in alcohol dependence.Addict Biol. 2016; 21: 719-731
- Strong seduction: impulsivity and the impact of contextual cues on instrumental behavior in alcohol dependence.Transl Psychiatry. 2017; 7: e1183
- Dysfunctional approach behavior triggered by alcohol-unrelated Pavlovian cues predicts long-term relapse in alcohol dependence.Addict Biol. 2020; 25e12703
- The role of the nucleus accumbens in instrumental conditioning: Evidence of a functional dissociation between accumbens core and shell.J Neurosci. 2001; 21: 3251-3260
- Dopamine or opioid stimulation of nucleus accumbens similarly amplify cue-triggered 'wanting' for reward: entire core and medial shell mapped as substrates for PIT enhancement.Eur J Neurosci. 2013; 37: 1529-1540
- Human pavlovian-instrumental transfer.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 360-368
- Aversive Pavlovian control of instrumental behavior in humans.J Cogn Neurosci. 2013; 25: 1428-1441
- Functional imaging of neural responses to expectancy and experience of monetary gains and losses.Neuron. 2001; 30: 619-639
- Correlation between dopamine D(2) receptors in the ventral striatum and central processing of alcohol cues and craving.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 1783-1789
- Intact corticostriatal control of goal-directed action in Alcohol Use Disorder: a Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer and outcome-devaluation study.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 4949
- Intact goal-directed control in treatment-seeking drug users indexed by outcome-devaluation and Pavlovian to instrumental transfer: critique of habit theory.Eur J Neurosci. 2019; 50: 2513-2525
- Pavlovian to Instrumental Transfer Responses Do Not Correlate With Addiction-Like Behavior in Rats.Front Behav Neurosci. 2019; 13: 129
Wittchen H-U, Pfister H (1997): DIA-X-Interviews: Manual für Screening-Verfahren und Interview; Interviewheft.
- The design and methods of the mental health module in the German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Adults (DEGS1-MH).Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2013; 22: 83-99
Sobell L, Sobell M (1992): Timeline follow-back measuring alcohol consumption. Center for Psychological Studies, Nova Southeastern University.41-72.
Skinner HA, Horn JL (1984): Alcohol dependence scale (ADS): User's guide. Addiction Research Foundation.
- Comparison of direct interview and family history diagnoses of alcohol dependence.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1995; 19: 1018-1023
Meule A, Vögele C, Kübler A (2011): Psychometrische evaluation der deutschen Barratt impulsiveness scale–Kurzversion (BIS-15). Diagnostica.
- Die OCDS-G: Psychometrische Kennwerte der deutschen Version der obsessive compulsive drinking scale.Sucht. 2000; 46: 90-100
Herrmann-Lingen C, Buss U, Snaith R (1995): Hospital anxiety and depression scale–Deutsche Version. Testdokumentation und Handanweisung Verlag Hans Huber, Bern.1-41.
MATLAB (2020): version 9.9. Natick, Massachusetts: The MathWorks Inc.
R Core Team (2020): R: A language and environment for statistical computing. . Vienna, Austria.: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
Ashburner J, Barnes G, Chen C-C, Daunizeau J, Flandin G, Friston K, et al. (2014): SPM12 manual. Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, London, UK. 2464:4.
- Susceptibility to interference between Pavlovian and instrumental control is associated with early hazardous alcohol use.Addict Biol. 2020; e12983
- Reward craving and withdrawal relief craving: assessment of different motivational pathways to alcohol intake.Alcohol Alcohol. 2003; 38: 35-39
- Low prefrontal PSA-NCAM confers risk for alcoholism-related behavior.Nat Neurosci. 2012; 15: 1356-1358
- Beer self-administration provokes lateralized nucleus accumbens dopamine release in male heavy drinkers.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015; 232: 861-870
- Neural correlates of instrumental responding in the context of alcohol-related cues index disorder severity and relapse risk.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2019; 269: 295-308
- Electrophysiological responses to alcohol cues are not associated with Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer in social drinkers.PLoS One. 2014; 9e94605
- Neurochemical and metabolic effects of acute and chronic alcohol in the human brain: Studies with positron emission tomography.Neuropharmacology. 2017; 122: 175-188
- Relapse prevention for alcohol and drug problems: that was Zen, this is Tao.Am Psychol. 2004; 59: 224-235
- Association of the OPRM1 A118G polymorphism and Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer: Clinical relevance for alcohol dependence.J Psychopharmacol. 2021; 269881121991992
- The Relationship Between Specific Pavlovian Instrumental Transfer and Instrumental Reward Probability.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 1697
- Instrumental and pavlovian mechanisms in alcohol use disorder.Current Addiction Reports. 2021; 8: 156-180
- Addiction as Learned Behavior Patterns.J Clin Med. 2019; 8
- Replication and generalization in applied neuroimaging.Neuroimage. 2019; 202116048
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
QJMH has received consultancy fees and options from Aya Health and a research grant from Koa Health. Other coauthors (KC, FS, MS, SKP, HC, AH, MNS, USZ and MG) report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.