Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Of Men and Mice: Modeling the Fragile X Syndrome.Front Mol Neurosci. 2018; 11: 41
- Fragile X syndrome.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017; 317065
- Neural differentiation of Fragile X human Embryonic Stem Cells reveals abnormal patterns of development despite successful neurogenesis.Dev Biol. 2013; 374: 32-45
- iPSC-derived forebrain neurons from FXS individuals show defects in initial neurite outgrowth.Stem Cells Dev. 2014; 23: 1777-1787
- Molecular mechanisms regulating the defects in fragile X syndrome neurons derived from human pluripotent stem cells.Stem Cell Reports. 2015; 4: 37-46
- Epigenetic characterization of the FMR1 gene and aberrant neurodevelopment in human induced pluripotent stem cell models of fragile X syndrome.PLoS One. 2011; 6e26203
- Integrative Analysis Identifies Key Molecular Signatures Underlying Neurodevelopmental Deficits in Fragile X Syndrome.Biol Psychiatry. 2020; 88: 500-511
- Rescue of Fragile X Syndrome Neurons by DNA Methylation Editing of the FMR1 Gene.Cell. 2018; 172: 979-992 e976
- Partial FMRP expression is sufficient to normalize neuronal hyperactivity in Fragile X neurons.Eur J Neurosci. 2020; 51: 2143-2157
- Novel fragile X syndrome 2D and 3D brain models based on human isogenic FMRP-KO iPSCs.Cell Death Dis. 2021; 12: 498
- Cell stress in cortical organoids impairs molecular subtype specification.Nature. 2020; 578: 142-148
- Humanized neuronal chimeric mouse brain generated by neonatally engrafted human iPSC-derived primitive neural progenitor cells.JCI Insight. 2016; 1e88632
- Neural progenitors from human embryonic stem cells.Nat Biotechnol. 2001; 19: 1134-1140
- Functional integration of human neural precursor cells in mouse cortex.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0120281
- Comprehensive Integration of Single-Cell Data.Cell. 2019; 177: 1888-1902 e1821
- A Single-Cell Transcriptomic Atlas of Human Neocortical Development during Mid-gestation.Neuron. 2019; 103: 785-801 e788
- Differential expression analysis of multifactor RNA-Seq experiments with respect to biological variation.Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40: 4288-4297
- Improved human disease candidate gene prioritization using mouse phenotype.BMC Bioinformatics. 2007; 8: 392
- ToppCluster: a multiple gene list feature analyzer for comparative enrichment clustering and network-based dissection of biological systems.Nucleic Acids Res. 2010; 38: W96-102
- Moderated estimation of fold change and dispersion for RNA-seq data with DESeq2.Genome Biol. 2014; 15: 550
- Reversion of FMR1 Methylation and Silencing by Editing the Triplet Repeats in Fragile X iPSC-Derived Neurons.Cell Rep. 2015; 13: 234-241
- Fiji: an open-source platform for biological-image analysis.Nat Methods. 2012; 9: 676-682
- Automated 4D analysis of dendritic spine morphology: applications to stimulus-induced spine remodeling and pharmacological rescue in a disease model.Mol Brain. 2011; 4: 38
- Reactivation of FMR1 by CRISPR/Cas9-Mediated Deletion of the Expanded CGG-Repeat of the Fragile X Chromosome.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0165499
- Editing DNA Methylation in the Mammalian Genome.Cell. 2016; 167: 233-247 e217
- Human iPSC-derived mature microglia retain their identity and functionally integrate in the chimeric mouse brain.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 1577
- How Do Cells of the Oligodendrocyte Lineage Affect Neuronal Circuits to Influence Motor Function, Memory and Mood?.Front Cell Neurosci. 2018; 12: 399
Kuhn S, Gritti L, Crooks D, Dombrowski Y (2019): Oligodendrocytes in Development, Myelin Generation and Beyond. Cells. 8.
- Doublecortin in Oligodendrocyte Precursor Cells in the Adult Mouse Brain.Front Neurosci. 2017; 11: 143
- Gene set enrichment analysis: a knowledge-based approach for interpreting genome-wide expression profiles.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 15545-15550
- Altered Translational Control of Fragile X Mental Retardation Protein on Myelin Proteins in Neuropsychiatric Disorders.Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2017; 25: 231-238
- Mechanisms and functional implications of adult neurogenesis.Cell. 2008; 132: 645-660
- Induction of c-Fos, Zif268, and Arc from acute bouts of voluntary wheel running in new and pre-existing adult mouse hippocampal granule neurons.Neuroscience. 2011; 184: 16-27
Allen Brain Atlas: expression of ARC in the adult mouse brain.
Allen Brain Atlas: expression of EGR1 in the adult mouse brain.
Allen Brain Atlas: expression of FOS in the adult mouse brain.
- Dendritic spines: from structure to in vivo function.EMBO Rep. 2012; 13: 699-708
D. Muller IN (2013): Chapter 6 - Dendritic Spines. Neural Circuit Development and Function in the Brain.
- Synaptic plasticity: multiple forms, functions, and mechanisms.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008; 33: 18-41
- Concise Review: Human-Animal Neurological Chimeras: Humanized Animals or Human Cells in an Animal?.Stem Cells. 2019; 37: 444-452
- Functional and structural deficits at accumbens synapses in a mouse model of Fragile X.Front Cell Neurosci. 2015; 9: 100
- Abnormal dendritic spine characteristics in the temporal and visual cortices of patients with fragile-X syndrome: a quantitative examination.Am J Med Genet. 2001; 98: 161-167
- Astrocytic Contributions to Synaptic and Learning Abnormalities in a Mouse Model of Fragile X Syndrome.Biol Psychiatry. 2017; 82: 139-149
- Xenotransplanted Human Cortical Neurons Reveal Species-Specific Development and Functional Integration into Mouse Visual Circuits.Neuron. 2019; 104: 972-986 e976
- OLIG2 Drives Abnormal Neurodevelopmental Phenotypes in Human iPSC-Based Organoid and Chimeric Mouse Models of Down Syndrome.Cell Stem Cell. 2019; 24: 908-926 e908
- Pyramidal neurons derived from human pluripotent stem cells integrate efficiently into mouse brain circuits in vivo.Neuron. 2013; 77: 440-456
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Lead Contact: Rudolf Jaenisch [email protected]
M.K., H.W., A.C. and R.J. conceived the idea for this study. M.K. and H.W. designed the experiments. M.K. interpreted the data. B.Y. and T.W.W. analyzed the single-cell sequencing data. M.K., H.W., D.F., C.N., J.S. performed the experiments. M.K., C.M.G., K.R.A, R.R. B.J. and J.S. analyzed the data. S.L. provided FXS2 and isogenic control iPSCs. S.W. provided the FXS_SW and isogenic control iPSCs. O.W. oversaw the first part of the study. M.K. and R.J. wrote the manuscript with input from all the other authors. The study was funded by Fulcrum Therapeutics and NIH grant 5R01MH104610-21 to R.J.
Competing interests statement
R.J. is a co-founder of Fate, Fulcrum, and Omega Therapeutics and an advisor to Camp4 and Dewpoint Therapeutics. H.W, A.N.C., A.C. and O.W. were full time employees of Fulcrum Therapeutics at the time of the study. The study was funded by Fulcrum Therapeutics and NIH grant 5R01MH104610-21 to R.J. The other authors report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.