Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The descriptive epidemiology of commonly occurring mental disorders in the United States.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 115-129
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2015; 115057
- Examining the association between posttraumatic stress disorder and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Psychiatry. 2016; 77: 72-83
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adult patients with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): is ADHD a vulnerability factor?.J Atten Disord. 2004; 8: 11-16
- Prescription Stimulants and PTSD Among U.S. Military Service Members.J Trauma Stress. 2015; 28: 585-589
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Risk of Posttraumatic Stress and Related Disorders: A Prospective Longitudinal Evaluation in U.S. Army Soldiers.J Trauma Stress. 2018; 31: 909-918
- Is ADHD a risk for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)? Results from a large longitudinal study of referred children with and without ADHD.World J Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 15: 49-55
- Antecedents and complications of trauma in boys with ADHD: findings from a longitudinal study.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999; 38: 48-55
- Accounting for Confounding in Observational Studies.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2020; 16: 25-48
- Mendelian randomisation for psychiatry: how does it work, and what can it tell us?.Mol Psychiatry. 2021;
- Assessing causal relationships using genetic proxies for exposures: an introduction to Mendelian randomization.Addiction. 2018; 113: 764-774
- Discovery of the first genome-wide significant risk loci for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 63-75
- International meta-analysis of PTSD genome-wide association studies identifies sex- and ancestry-specific genetic risk loci.Nat Commun. 2019; 10: 4558
- Genome-wide association analyses of post-traumatic stress disorder and its symptom subdomains in the Million Veteran Program.Nat Genet. 2021; 53: 174-184
- Genome-wide association analyses of post-traumatic stress disorder and its symptom subdomains in the Million Veteran Program.Nature Genetics. 2021; 53: 174-184
- An atlas of genetic correlations across human diseases and traits.Nat Genet. 2015; 47: 1236-1241
- A global reference for human genetic variation.Nature. 2015; 526: 68-74
- PRSice: Polygenic Risk Score software.Bioinformatics. 2015; 31: 1466-1468
- The MR-Base platform supports systematic causal inference across the human phenome.Elife. 2018; 7
- Statistical inference in two-sample summary-data Mendelian randomization using robust adjusted profile score.Annals Statistics. 2018; 48: 1742-1769
- Potential causal effect of posttraumatic stress disorder on alcohol use disorder and alcohol consumption in individuals of European descent: A Mendelian Randomization Study.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2021;
- A putative causal relationship between genetically determined female body shape and posttraumatic stress disorder.Genome Med. 2017; 9: 99
- Deciphering the Biological Mechanisms Underlying the Genome-Wide Associations between Computerized Device Use and Psychiatric Disorders.J Clin Med. 2019; 8
- Multivariable Mendelian randomization: the use of pleiotropic genetic variants to estimate causal effects.Am J Epidemiol. 2015; 181: 251-260
- The Swedish Multi-generation Register.Methods Mol Biol. 2011; 675: 215-220
- The Swedish personal identity number: possibilities and pitfalls in healthcare and medical research.European Journal of Epidemiology. 2009; 24: 659-667
National Board of Health and Welfare. National Board of Health and Welfare. Published May 20, 2019. Accessed August 20, 2021. http://www.socia lstyrelsen.se/en/statistics-and-data/registers/register-information/the-national-patient-register/.
National Board of Health and Welfare. National Board of Health and Welfare. Published May 20, 2019. Accessed August 20, 2021. https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/en/statistics-and-data/registers/register-information/the-swedish-prescribed-drug-register/.
- Risk of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in relatives of people with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.Br J Psychiatry. 2013; 203: 103-106
- The heritability of clinically diagnosed attention deficit hyperactivity disorder across the lifespan.Psychol Med. 2014; 44: 2223-2229
- ADHD in international adoptees: a national cohort study.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 19: 37-44
- The longitudinal integrated database for health insurance and labour market studies (LISA) and its use in medical research.Eur J Epidemiol. 2019; 34: 423-437
- Age at onset of mental disorders worldwide: large-scale meta-analysis of 192 epidemiological studies.Mol Psychiatry. 2021;
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and risk-taking: A three-level meta-analytic review of behavioral, self-report, and virtual reality metrics.Clin Psychol Rev. 2021; 87102039
- PTSD's risky behavior criterion: Associated risky and unhealthy behaviors and psychiatric correlates in a nationally representative sample.J Anxiety Disord. 2020; 73102247
- Evaluation of the Persistence, Remission, and Emergence of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Young Adulthood.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016; 73: 713-720
- Is Adult ADHD a Childhood-Onset Neurodevelopmental Disorder? Evidence From a Four-Decade Longitudinal Cohort Study.Am J Psychiatry. 2015; 172: 967-977
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Trajectories From Childhood to Young Adulthood: Evidence From a Birth Cohort Supporting a Late-Onset Syndrome.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016; 73: 705-712
- Late-Onset ADHD Reconsidered With Comprehensive Repeated Assessments Between Ages 10 and 25.Am J Psychiatry. 2018; 175: 140-149
- Prenatal nicotine exposure mouse model showing hyperactivity, reduced cingulate cortex volume, reduced dopamine turnover, and responsiveness to oral methylphenidate treatment.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 9410-9418
- Late emerging effects of prenatal and early postnatal nicotine exposure on the cholinergic system and anxiety-like behavior.Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2010; 32: 336-345
- Neurobiological basis of failure to recall extinction memory in posttraumatic stress disorder.Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 1075-1082
- Abnormal fear circuitry in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A controlled magnetic resonance imaging study.Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2017; 262: 55-62
- Association of Resting Metabolism in the Fear Neural Network With Extinction Recall Activations and Clinical Measures in Trauma-Exposed Individuals.Am J Psychiatry. 2016; 173: 930-938
- Methylphenidate Dose-Dependently Affects Aggression and Improves Fear Extinction and Anxiety in BALB/cJ Mice.Front Psychiatry. 2019; 10: 768
- Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial of Methylphenidate or Galantamine for Persistent Emotional and Cognitive Symptoms Associated with PTSD and/or Traumatic Brain Injury.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016; 41: 1191-1198
- Consistent Estimation in Mendelian Randomization with Some Invalid Instruments Using a Weighted Median Estimator.Genet Epidemiol. 2016; 40: 304-314
Zayats T, Neale BM (2019): Recent advances in understanding of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): how genetics are shaping our conceptualization of this disorder. F1000Res. 8.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Author Contributions: Meier, Polimanti, and Larsson had full access to all of the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.
Concept and design: Cabrera-Mendoza, Larsson, Mattheisen, Meier, Nievergelt, Nivard, Polimanti, Wendt.
Acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data: Cabrera-Mendoza, Garcia-Argibay, Larsson, Maihofer, Meier, Nievergelt, Polimanti, Wendt, Choi, Coleman, Daskalakis, Denckla, Ketema, Morey, Ratanatharathorn, Torres, Wingo, Zai, Aiello, Almli, Amstadter, Andersen, Andreassen, Arbisi, Ashley-Koch, Austin, Avdibegovic, Borglum, Babic, Bækvad-Hansen, Baker, Beckham, Bierut, Bisson, Boks, Bolger, Bradley, Brashear, Breen, Bryant, Bustamante, Bybjerg-Grauholm, Calabrese, Caldas-de-Almeida, Chen, Dale, Dalvie, Deckert, Delahanty, Dennis, Disner, Domschke, Duncan, Dzubur Kulenovic, Erbes, Evans, Farrer, Feeny, Flory, Forbes, Franz, Galea, Garrett, Gautam, Gelaye, Geuze, Gillespie, Goci Uka, Gordon, Guffanti, Hammamieh, Hauser, Heath,. Hemmings, Hougaard, Jakovljevic, Jett, Johnson, Jones, Jovanovic, Qin, Karstoft, Kaufman, Kessler, Khan, Kimbrel, King, Koen, Kranzler, Kremen, Lawford, Lebois, Lewis, Liberzon, Linnstaedt, Logue, Lori, Lugonja, Luykx, Lyons, Maples-Keller, Marmar, Martin, Maurer, Mavissakalian, McFarlane, McGlinchey, McLaughlin, McLean, Mehta, Mellor, Michopoulos, Milberg, Miller, Morris, Mors, Mortensen, Nelson, Nordentoft, Norman, O'Donnell, Orcutt, Panizzon, Peters, Peterson, Peverill, Pietrzak, Polusny, Rice, Risbrough, Roberts, Rothbaum, Rothbaum, Roy-Byrne, Ruggiero, Rung, Rutten, Saccone, Sanchez, Schijven, Seedat, Seligowski, Seng, Sheerin, Silove, Smith, Smoller, Sponheim, Stein, Stevens, Teicher, Thompson, Trapido, Uddin, Ursano, van den Heuvel, Van Hooff, Vermetten, Voisey, Wang, Wang, Werge, Williams, Williamson, Winternitz, Wolf, Wolf, Yehuda, Young, Young, Zhao,. Zoellner, Haas, Lasseter, Provost, Salem, Sebat, Shaffer, Wu, Ripke, Daly, Ressler, Koenen.
Drafting of the manuscript: Meier, Cabrera-Mendoza, Garcia-Argibay, Wendt.
Critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content: All authors.
Statistical analysis: Cabrera-Mendoza, Garcia-Argibay, Wendt.
Administrative, technical, or material support: Larsson, Nievergelt, Choi, Coleman, Daskalakis, Denckla, Ketema, Morey, Ratanatharathorn, Torres, Wingo, Zai, Aiello, Almli, Amstadter, Andersen, Andreassen, Arbisi, Ashley-Koch, Austin, Avdibegovic, Borglum, Babic, Bækvad-Hansen, Baker, Beckham, Bierut, Bisson, Boks, Bolger, Bradley, Brashear, Breen, Bryant, Bustamante, Bybjerg-Grauholm, Calabrese, Caldas-de-Almeida, Chen, Dale, Dalvie, Deckert, Delahanty, Dennis, Disner, Domschke, Duncan, Dzubur Kulenovic, Erbes, Evans, Farrer, Feeny, Flory, Forbes, Franz, Galea, Garrett, Gautam, Gelaye, Geuze, Gillespie, Goci Uka, Gordon, Guffanti, Hammamieh, Hauser, Heath,. Hemmings, Hougaard, Jakovljevic, Jett, Johnson, Jones, Jovanovic, Qin, Karstoft, Kaufman, Kessler, Khan, Kimbrel, King, Koen, Kranzler, Kremen, Lawford, Lebois, Lewis, Liberzon, Linnstaedt, Logue, Lori, Lugonja, Luykx, Lyons, Maples-Keller, Marmar, Martin, Maurer, Mavissakalian, McFarlane, McGlinchey, McLaughlin, McLean, Mehta, Mellor, Michopoulos, Milberg, Miller, Morris, Mors, Mortensen, Nelson, Nordentoft, Norman, O'Donnell, Orcutt, Panizzon, Peters, Peterson, Peverill, Pietrzak, Polusny, Rice, Risbrough, Roberts, Rothbaum, Rothbaum, Roy-Byrne, Ruggiero, Rung, Rutten, Saccone, Sanchez, Schijven, Seedat, Seligowski, Seng, Sheerin, Silove, Smith, Smoller, Sponheim, Stein, Stevens, Teicher, Thompson, Trapido, Uddin, Ursano, van den Heuvel, Van Hooff, Vermetten, Voisey, Wang, Wang, Werge, Williams, Williamson, Winternitz, Wolf, Wolf, Yehuda, Young, Young, Zhao,. Zoellner, Haas, Lasseter, Provost, Salem, Sebat, Shaffer, Wu, Ripke, Daly, Ressler, Koenen.
Supervision: Larsson, Mattheisen, Meier, Polimanti.
Conflict of Interest Disclosures: Henrik Larsson reports receiving grants from Shire Pharmaceuticals; personal fees from and serving as a speaker for Medice, Shire/Takeda Pharmaceuticals and Evolan Pharma AB; and sponsorship for a conference on attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder from Shire/Takeda Pharmaceuticals and Evolan Pharma AB, all outside the submitted work. Murray B. Stein has in the past 3 years received consulting income from Actelion, Acadia Pharmaceuticals, Aptinyx, atai Life Sciences, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bionomics, BioXcel Therapeutics, Eisai, Clexio, EmpowerPharm, Engrail Therapeutics, GW Pharmaceuticals, Janssen, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, and Roche/Genentech. Dr. Stein has stock options in Oxeia Biopharmaceuticals and EpiVario. He is paid for his editorial work on Depression and Anxiety (Editor-in-Chief), Biological Psychiatry (Deputy Editor), and UpToDate (Co-Editor-in-Chief for Psychiatry). Renato Polimanti and Joel Gelernter are paid for their editorial work on the journal Complex Psychiatry. The other authors report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.
Funding/Support: This study was funded by the National Institutes of Health (R21 DC018098, R33 DA047527, and F32 MH122058) and the Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR) Canadian Research Chairs (CRC) stipend (award number 1024586). Financial support for the PGC-PTSD was provided by the Cohen Veterans Bioscience, Stanley Center for Psychiatric Research at the Broad Institute, One Mind, and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH; R01MH106595, R01MH124847, R01MH124851). Michel G. Nivard is supported by NIMH grant R01MH120219, ZonMW grants 849200011 and 531003014 from The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development, a VENI grant awarded by NWO (VI.Veni.191G.030) and is a Jacobs Foundation Fellow.
Role of the Funder/Sponsor: The funders had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
List of PGC-PTSD consortium authors
Adam X. Maihofer, Karmel W. Choi, Jonathan R.I. Coleman, Nikolaos P. Daskalakis, Christy A. Denckla, Elizabeth Ketema, Rajendra A. Morey, Renato Polimanti, Andrew Ratanatharathorn, Katy Torres, Aliza P. Wingo, Clement C. Zai, Allison E. Aiello, Lynn M. Almli, Ananda B. Amstadter, Soren B. Andersen, Ole A. Andreassen, Paul A. Arbisi, Allison E. Ashley-Koch, S. Bryn Austin, Esmina Avdibegovic, Anders D. Borglum, Dragan Babic, Marie Bækvad-Hansen, Dewleen G. Baker, Jean C. Beckham, Laura J. Bierut, Jonathan I. Bisson, Marco P. Boks, Elizabeth A. Bolger, Bekh Bradley, Meghan Brashear, Gerome Breen, Richard A. Bryant, Angela C. Bustamante, Jonas Bybjerg-Grauholm, Joseph R. Calabrese, Jose Miguel Caldas-de-Almeida, Chia-Yen Chen, Anders M. Dale, Shareefa Dalvie, Jürgen Deckert, Douglas L. Delahanty, Michelle F. Dennis, Seth G. Disner, Katharina Domschke, Laramie E. Duncan, Alma Dzubur Kulenovic, Christopher R. Erbes, Alexandra Evans, Lindsay A. Farrer, Norah C. Feeny, Janine D. Flory, David Forbes, Carol E. Franz, Sandro Galea, Melanie E. Garrett, Aarti Gautam, Bizu Gelaye, Joel Gelernter, Elbert Geuze, Charles F. Gillespie, Aferdita Goci Uka, Scott D. Gordon, Guia Guffanti, Rasha Hammamieh, Michael A. Hauser, Andrew C. Heath, Sian M.J. Hemmings, David Michael Hougaard, Miro Jakovljevic, Marti Jett, Eric Otto Johnson, Ian Jones, Tanja Jovanovic, Xue-Jun Qin, Karen-Inge Karstoft, Milissa L. Kaufman, Ronald C. Kessler, Alaptagin Khan, Nathan A. Kimbrel, Anthony P. King, Nastassja Koen, Henry R. Kranzler, William S. Kremen, Bruce R. Lawford, Lauren A. M. Lebois, Catrin Lewis, Israel Liberzon, Sarah D. Linnstaedt, Mark W. Logue, Adriana Lori, Bozo Lugonja, Jurjen J. Luykx, Michael J. Lyons, Jessica L. Maples-Keller, Charles Marmar, Nicholas G Martin, Douglas Maurer, Matig R. Mavissakalian, Alexander McFarlane, Regina E. McGlinchey, Katie A. McLaughlin, Samuel A. McLean, Divya Mehta, Rebecca Mellor, Vasiliki Michopoulos, William Milberg, Mark W. Miller, Charles Phillip Morris, Ole Mors, Preben Bo Mortensen, Elliot C. Nelson, Merete Nordentoft, Sonya B. Norman, Meaghan O'Donnell, Holly K. Orcutt, Matthew S. Panizzon, Edward S. Peters, Alan L. Peterson, Matthew Peverill, Robert H. Pietrzak, Melissa A. Polusny, John P. Rice, Victoria B. Risbrough, Andrea L. Roberts, Alex O. Rothbaum, Barbara O. Rothbaum, Peter Roy-Byrne, Kenneth J. Ruggiero, Ariane Rung, Bart P. F. Rutten, Nancy L Saccone, Sixto E. Sanchez, Dick Schijven, Soraya Seedat, Antonia V. Seligowski, Julia S. Seng, Christina M. Sheerin, Derrick Silove, Alicia K Smith, Jordan W. Smoller, Scott R. Sponheim, Dan J. Stein, Jennifer S. Stevens, Martin H. Teicher, Wesley K. Thompson, Edward Trapido, Monica Uddin, Robert J. Ursano, Leigh Luella van den Heuvel, Miranda Van Hooff, Eric Vermetten, Christiaan Vinkers, Joanne Voisey, Yunpeng Wang, Zhewu Wang, Thomas Werge, Michelle A. Williams, Douglas E. Williamson, Sherry Winternitz, Christiane Wolf, Erika J. Wolf, Rachel Yehuda, Keith A. Young, Ross McD. Young, Hongyu Zhao, Lori A. Zoellner, Magali Haas, Heather Lasseter, Allison C. Provost, Rany M Salem, Jonathan Sebat, Richard Shaffer, Tianying Wu, Stephan Ripke, Mark J. Daly, Kerry J. Ressler, Karestan C. Koenen, Murray B. Stein, Caroline M. Nievergelt.