Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The global burden of disease attributable to alcohol and drug use in 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.The Lancet Psychiatry. 2018; 5: 987-1012
- Genetic etiology of the common liability to drug dependence: Evidence of common and specific mechanisms for DSM-IV dependence symptoms.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012; 123: S24-S32
- Polysubstance use - diagnostic challenges, patterns of use and health.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2014; 27: 269-275
Vanyukov MM, Tarter RE, Kirillova GP, Kirisci L, Reynolds MD, Kreek MJ, et al. (2012): Common liability to addiction and "gateway hypothesis": Theoretical, empirical and evolutionary perspective. Drug Alcohol Depend 123: 3–17.
- Liability to substance use disorders: 1. Common mechanisms and manifestations.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2003; 27: 507-515
- Connecting the dots, genome-wide association studies in substance use.Mol Psychiatry. 2016; 21: 733-735
- Association studies of up to 1.2 million individuals yield new insights into the genetic etiology of tobacco and alcohol use.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 237-244
- Genetic correlation, pleiotropy, and causal associations between substance use and psychiatric disorder.Psychol Med. 2020; : 1-11
- Genetic and environmental influences on alcohol, caffeine, cannabis, and nicotine use from early adolescence to middle adulthood.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008; 65: 674-682
- Genetic and environmental risk factors for illicit substance use and use disorders: joint analysis of self and co-twin ratings.Behav Genet. 2014; 44: 1-13
- The consumption of tobacco, alcohol, and coffee in caucasian male twins: A multivariate genetic analysis.J Subst Abuse. 1996; 8: 19-31
- The genetic relationship between cannabis and tobacco cigarette use in European- and African-American female twins and siblings.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 163: 165-171
- Common genetic vulnerability for nicotine and alcohol dependence in men.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999; 56: 655
- Transancestral GWAS of alcohol dependence reveals common genetic underpinnings with psychiatric disorders.Nat Neurosci. 2018; 21: 1656-1669
- Genome-wide meta-analysis of problematic alcohol use in 435,563 individuals yields insights into biology and relationships with other traits.Nat Neurosci. 2020; 23: 809-818
- Expanding the genetic architecture of nicotine dependence and its shared genetics with multiple traits.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 5562
Hatoum AS, Johnson EC, Colbert SMC, Polimanti R, Zhou H, Walters RK, et al. (2021): The addiction risk factor: A unitary genetic vulnerability characterizes substance use disorders and their associations with common correlates. Neuropsychopharmacology 2021.01.26.21250498.
Quach BC, Bray MJ, Gaddis NC, Liu M, Palviainen T, Minica CC, et al. (2020): Expanding the Genetic Architecture of Nicotine Dependence and its Shared Genetics with Multiple Traits: Findings from the Nicotine Dependence GenOmics (iNDiGO) Consortium. bioRxiv 2020.01.15.898858.
- The BDNF Valine 68 to Methionine Polymorphism increases compulsive alcohol drinking in mice that Is reversed by tropomyosin receptor kinase B activation.Biol Psychiatry. 2016; 79: 463-473
- New alcohol-related genes suggest shared genetic mechanisms with neuropsychiatric disorders.Nat Hum Behav. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-019-0653-z
- Exome Chip meta-analysis fine maps causal variants and elucidates the genetic architecture of rare coding variants in smoking and alcohol use.Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 85: 946-955
Henderson JA, Buchwald DS, Howard B V, Henderson PN, Li Y, Tyndale RF, et al. (2020): Genetics of smoking behavior in American Indians. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev cebp.0026.2020.
- A large-scale genome-wide association study meta-analysis of cannabis use disorder.The Lancet Psychiatry. 2020; 7: 1032-1045
- Genomic structural equation modelling provides insights into the multivariate genetic architecture of complex traits.Nat Hum Behav. 2019; 3: 513-525
- Testing structural models of psychopathology at the genomic level.bioRxiv. 2018; (502039)
- Genomic Relationships, Novel Loci, and Pleiotropic Mechanisms across Eight Psychiatric Disorders.Cell. 2019; 179 (e11): 1469-1482
- Multivariate GWAS of psychiatric disorders and their cardinal symptoms reveal two dimensions of cross-cutting genetic liabilities.bioRxiv 603134. 2020;
- Symptom-level genetic modelling identifies novel risk loci and unravels the shared genetic architecture of anxiety and depression.medRxiv 2020. 2020; (04.08.20057653)
- Genetic Architecture of 11 Major Psychiatric Disorders at Biobehavioral, Functional Genomic, and Molecular Genetic Levels of Analysis.medRxiv 2020. 2020; (09.22.20196089)
- Multivariate genomic analysis of 1.5 million people identifies genes related to addiction, antisocial behavior, and health.bioRxiv 2020. 2020; (10.16.342501)
- Combining multivariate genomic approaches to elucidate the comorbidity between autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.J Child Psychol Psychiatry jcpp. 2021; 13479
Davies G, De la Fuente, Javier, Grotzinger AD, Tucker-Drob EM, Deary IJ (n.d.): Genetic “General Intelligence,” Objectively Determined and Measured. bioRxiv.
Demange PA, Malanchini M, Mallard TT, Biroli P, Cox SR, Grotzinger AD, et al. (2020): Investigating the Genetic Architecture of Non-Cognitive Skills Using GWAS-by-Subtraction. bioRxiv 2020.01.14.905794.
- GWAS of Over 427,000 Individuals Establishes GABAergic and Synaptic Molecular Pathways as Key for Cognitive Executive Functions.bioRxiv 674515. 2020;
- A general dimension of genetic sharing across diverse cognitive traits inferred from molecular data.Nat Hum Behav. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-020-00936-2
- Identifying risk factors involved in the common versus specific liabilities to substance use: A genetically informed approach.Addict Biol. 2020; e12944
- Associations between Polygenic Risk for Psychiatric Disorders and Substance Involvement.Front Genet. 2016; 7https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2016.00149
- Imaging the addicted human brain.Sci Pract Perspect. 2007; 3: 4-16
Mayfield J, Arends MA, Harris RA, Blednov YA (2016): Genes and alcohol consumption. pp 293–355.
- An atlas of genetic associations in UK Biobank.Nat Genet. 2018; 50: 1593-1599
Neale Lab (2017): Rapid GWAS of thousands of phenotypes for 337,000 samples in the UK. Retrieved from http://www.nealelab.is/blog/2017/7/19/rapid-gwas-of-thousands-of-phenotypes-for-337000-samples-in-the-uk-biobank
- LD Score regression distinguishes confounding from polygenicity in genome-wide association studies.Nat Genet. 2015; 47: 291-295
- PhenoScanner V2: an expanded tool for searching human genotype–phenotype associations.Bioinformatics. 2019; 35: 4851-4853
- Biological interpretation of genome-wide association studies using predicted gene functions.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 5890
Lamparter D, Marbach D, Rueedi R, Kutalik Z, Bergmann S (2016): Fast and Rigorous Computation of Gene and Pathway Scores from SNP-Based Summary Statistics ((J. Listgarten, editor)). PLOS Comput Biol 12: e1004714.
- Gene set enrichment analysis: A knowledge-based approach for interpreting genome-wide expression profiles.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2005; 102: 15545-15550
- The MR-Base platform supports systematic causal inference across the human phenome.Elife. 2018; 7https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.34408
Mallard TT, Linnér RK, Okbay A, Grotzinger AD, de Vlaming R, Meddens SFW, et al. (2019): Not just one p: Multivariate GWAS of psychiatric disorders and their cardinal symptoms reveal two dimensions of cross-cutting genetic liabilities. bioRxiv 603134.
- Drug addiction and its underlying neurobiological basis: neuroimaging evidence for the involvement of the frontal cortex.Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 1642-1652
- Multivariate genome-wide association meta-analysis of over 1 million subjects identifies loci underlying multiple substance use disorders.medRxiv 2022. 2022; (01.06.22268753)
- Ventral tegmental area GABAergic inhibition of cholinergic interneurons in the ventral nucleus accumbens shell promotes reward reinforcement.Nat Neurosci. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41593-021-00898-2
- An update on the role of serotonin and its interplay with ropamine for Reward.Front Hum Neurosci. 2017; 11https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2017.00484
- The glutamate homeostasis hypothesis of addiction.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 561-572
- Subjective, cognitive/psychomotor, and physiological effects of aripiprazole in Chinese light and heavy smokers.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009; 101: 42-52
- Effects of aripiprazole on subjective and physiological responses to alcohol.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008; 32: 573-579
- Oral ethanol self-administration in rats is reduced by the administration of dopamine and glutamate receptor antagonists into the nucleus accumbens.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1992; 109: 92-98
- NMDA receptors regulate nicotine-enhanced brain reward function and intravenous nicotine self-administration: Role of the Ventral Tegmental Area and Central Nucleus of the Amygdala.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009; 34: 266-281
- N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) in young marijuana users: An Open-Label Pilot Study.Am J Addict. 2010; 19: 187-189
- Effects of baclofen and mirtazapine on a laboratory model of marijuana withdrawal and relapse.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010; 211: 233-244
- Varenicline decreases ethanol intake and increases dopamine release via neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the nucleus accumbens.Br J Pharmacol. 2014; 171: 3420-3431
- Varenicline attenuates cue-induced relapse to alcohol, but not nicotine seeking, while reducing inhibitory response control.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011; 216: 267-277
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial assessing the efficacy of varenicline tartrate for alcohol dependence.J Addict Med. 2013; 7: 277-286
- Effect of varenicline combined with medical management on alcohol use disorder with comorbid cigarette smoking.JAMA Psychiatry. 2018; 75: 129
- Longitudinal findings from a Randomized Clinical Trial of Varenicline for alcohol use disorder with comorbid cigarette smoking.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2019; 43: 937-944
- Bias correction for inverse variance weighting Mendelian randomization.bioRxiv 2021. 2021; 03 (437168)
- Mendelian randomization accounting for correlated and uncorrelated pleiotropic effects using genome-wide summary statistics.Nat Genet. 2020; 52: 740-747
- Simultaneous estimation of bi-directional causal effects and heritable confounding from GWAS summary statistics.medRxiv 2020. 2020; (01.27.20018929)