- Voorhies W.I.
- Miller J.A.
- Yao J.K.
- Bunge S.A.
- Weiner K.S.
Methods and Materials
|Declined to respond||1||0.8|
|More than one race||22||18.0|
|Declined to respond||6||4.9|
|Hispanic or Latina/o||23||18.9|
|Not Hispanic or Latina/o||99||81.1|
|Years of Education||15.5||2.3||12-21|
|SCID-5 Lifetime Diagnosis|
|Major Depressive Disorder||99||81.1|
|Alcohol Use Disorder.||27||22.1|
|Substance Use Disorder||24||19.7|
|More than one disorder||82||67.2|
|Pervasive Influence of Feelings||3.73||0.76||1.92-5.00|
|Feelings Trigger Action||2.86||0.75||1.23-4.94|
|Lack of Follow Through||3.15||0.80||1.00-4.80|
Measures and MRI Acquisition
- Klein A.
- Tourville J.
OFC Morphology Relates to Both Forms of Emotion-Related Impulsivity
Imbalance in Hemispheric Orbitofrontal Gyrification Correlates with PIF
- Johnson S.L.
- Sandel D.B.
- Zisser M.
- Pearlstein J.G.
- Swerdlow B.A.
- Sanchez A.H.
- et al.
Acknowledgements and Disclosures
- The Five Factor Model and impulsivity: using a structural model of personality to understand impulsivity.Personality and Individual Differences. 2001; 30: 669-689
- Parsing the heterogeneity of impulsivity: A meta-analytic review of the behavioral implications of the UPPS for psychopathology.Psychological Assessment. 2015; 27: 1129-1146
- Serotonin Transporter Polymorphism Interacts With Childhood Adversity to Predict Aspects of Impulsivity.Psychol Sci. 2011; 22: 589-595
- Heritability and Longitudinal Stability of Impulsivity in Adolescence.Behav Genet. 2012; 42: 378-392
- Impulsive States and Impulsive Traits: A Study of the Multilevel Structure and Validity of a Multifaceted Measure of Impulsive States.Assessment. 2021; 28: 796-812
- Impulsive reactivity to emotion and vulnerability to psychopathology.American Psychologist. 2018; 73: 1067-1078
- A path model of different forms of impulsivity with externalizing and internalizing psychopathology: Towards greater specificity.British Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2017; 56: 235-252
- A Comparison of Two Models of Urgency: Urgency Predicts Both Rash Action and Depression in Youth.Clinical Psychological Science. 2013; 1: 266-275
- Negative urgency: A personality predictor of externalizing behavior characterized by neuroticism, low conscientiousness, and disagreeableness.Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 2012; 121: 160-172
- Impulsive responses to emotion as a transdiagnostic vulnerability to internalizing and externalizing symptoms.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013; 150: 872-878
- Cortical Thinning, Functional Connectivity, and Mood-Related Impulsivity in Schizophrenia: Relationship to Aggressive Attitudes and Behavior.AJP. 2014; 171: 939-948
- Emotion-relevant impulsivity predicts sustained anger and aggression after remission in bipolar I disorder.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2016; 189: 169-175
- Impulsivity and Suicidality in Adolescent Inpatients.J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2017; 45: 91-103
- Testing the relations between impulsivity-related traits, suicidality, and nonsuicidal self-injury: A test of the incremental validity of the UPPS model.Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment. 2011; 2: 151-160
- Another look at impulsivity: A meta-analytic review comparing specific dispositions to rash action in their relationship to bulimic symptoms.Clinical Psychology Review. 2008; 28: 1413-1425
- Impulsivity and nonsuicidal self-injury: A review and meta-analysis.Clinical Psychology Review. 2015; 38: 13-24
- The Relationship Between the Five-Factor Model of Personality and Symptoms of Clinical Disorders: A Meta-Analysis.J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2005; 27: 101-114
- Toward a Functional View of the p Factor in Psychopathology.Clinical Psychological Science. 2017; 5: 880-889
- The General Factor of Psychopathology.Annual Review of Clinical Psychology. 2020; 16: 75-98
- All for One and One for All: Mental Disorders in One Dimension.AJP. 2018; 175: 831-844
- Impulsive Responses to Positive and Negative Emotions: Parallel Neurocognitive Correlates and Their Implications [no. 4].Biological Psychiatry. 2020; 87: 338-349
- Neuroanatomical correlates of impulsive traits in children aged 9 to 10.Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 2020; 129: 831-844
- Brain structure correlates of emotion-based rash impulsivity.NeuroImage. 2015; 115: 138-146
- Cortical Thickness Links Impulsive Personality Traits and Risky Behavior.Brain Sciences. 2019; 9: 373
- The Multifaceted Role of the Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex in Emotion, Decision Making, Social Cognition, and Psychopathology.Biological Psychiatry. 2018; 83: 638-647
- How do you feel — now? The anterior insula and human awareness.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 59-70
- Factor structure, measurement and structural invariance, and external validity of an abbreviated youth version of the UPPS-P Impulsive Behavior Scale.Psychological Assessment. 2020; 32: 336-347
- Positive Urgency Is Related to Difficulty Inhibiting Prepotent Responses [no. 5].Emotion. 2016; 16: 750-759
- Trait impulsivity and prefrontal gray matter reductions in cocaine dependent individuals.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2012; 125: 208-214
- Negative urgency, disinhibition and reduced temporal pole gray matter characterize the comorbidity of cocaine dependence and personality disorders.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2013; 132: 231-237
- Regional grey matter volume correlates of gambling disorder, gambling-related cognitive distortions, and emotion-driven impulsivity.International Gambling Studies. 2018; 18: 195-216
- Reduced cortical thickness and increased gyrification in generalized anxiety disorder: a 3 T MRI study.Psychol Med. 2018; 48: 2001-2010
- Evidence for Dissociable Linkage of Dimensions of Psychopathology to Brain Structure in Youths.AJP. 2019; 176: 1000-1009
- Gyrification brain abnormalities as predictors of outcome in anorexia nervosa.Hum Brain Mapp. 2015; 36: 5113-5122
- The development of gyrification in childhood and adolescence.Brain and Cognition. 2010; 72: 36-45
- Primary cortical folding in the human newborn: an early marker of later functional development.Brain. 2008; 131: 2028-2041
- Local gyrification index in patients with major depressive disorder and its association with tryptophan hydroxylase-2 ( TPH2 ) polymorphism: LGI in Depression and TPH2 Polymorphism.Hum Brain Mapp. 2017; 38: 1299-1310
- Cortical Thickness, Surface Area, and Gyrification Abnormalities in Children Exposed to Maltreatment: Neural Markers of Vulnerability?.Biological Psychiatry. 2013; 74: 845-852
- Cortical gyrification and its relationships with cortical volume, cortical thickness, and cognitive performance in healthy mid-life adults.Behavioural Brain Research. 2015; 287: 331-339
- Cognitive Insights from Evolutionarily New Brain Structures in Prefrontal Cortex.Neuroscience. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.11.07.372805
- Major depressive disorder and impulsive reactivity to emotion: Toward a dual-process view of depression.Br J Clin Psychol. 2013; 52: 285-299
- Assessing Psychiatric Impairment in Primary Care with the Sheehan Disability Scale.Int J Psychiatry Med. 1997; 27: 93-105
First MB (2015): Structured Clinical Interview for the DSM (SCID). In: Cautin RL, Lilienfeld SO, editors. The Encyclopedia of Clinical Psychology. Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp 1–6.
- Validation of a short Orientation-Memory-Concentration Test of cognitive impairment.AJP. 1983; 140: 734-739
- Integration of impulsivity and positive mood to predict risky behavior: Development and validation of a measure of positive urgency.Psychological Assessment. 2007; 19: 107-118
- Cognitive Concomitants of Depression: A Further Examination of the Roles of Generalization, High Standards, and Self-Criticism.Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology. 1988; 7: 350-365
- Neurocognitive mechanisms of emotion-related impulsivity: The role of arousal.Psychophysiology. 2019; 56e13293
- The German Three Factor Impulsivity Index: Confirmatory factor analysis and ties to demographic and health-related variables.Personality and Individual Differences. 2021; 171110470
- Cortical Surface-Based Analysis.NeuroImage. 1999; 9: 195-207
- FreeSurfer. NeuroImage. 2012; 62: 774-781
- Cortical Surface-Based Analysis.NeuroImage. 1999; 9: 179-194
Schaer M, Cuadra MB, Schmansky N, Fischl B, Thiran J-P, Eliez S (2012): How to Measure Cortical Folding from MR Images: a Step-by-Step Tutorial to Compute Local Gyrification Index. JoVE 3417.
- Automatic parcellation of human cortical gyri and sulci using standard anatomical nomenclature.NeuroImage. 2010; 53: 1-15
- The amygdala.Current Biology. 2007; 17: R868-R874
- The Nucleus Accumbens: An Interface Between Cognition, Emotion, and Action.Annual Review of Psychology. 2015; 66: 25-52
- Hippocampus-amygdala volumes and psychopathology in chronic schizophrenia.Biological Psychiatry. 1993; 33: 236-246
- Amygdala, Medial Prefrontal Cortex, and Hippocampal Function in PTSD.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2006; 1071: 67-79
- Neural responses to monetary incentives in bipolar disorder.NeuroImage: Clinical. 2019; 24102018
- Nucleus Accumbens Deep Brain Stimulation Decreases Ratings of Depression and Anxiety in Treatment-Resistant Depression.Biological Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 110-116
- Increased Amygdala and Insula Activation During Emotion Processing in Anxiety-Prone Subjects.AJP. 2007; 164: 318-327
- Major Depressive Disorder Is Associated With Abnormal Interoceptive Activity and Functional Connectivity in the Insula.Biological Psychiatry. 2014; 76: 258-266
- Orbitofrontal Cortex Function and Structure in Depression.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2007; 1121: 499-527
- 101 Labeled Brain Images and a Consistent Human Cortical Labeling Protocol.Front Neurosci. 2012; 6https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2012.00171
R CT (2018): R: a language and environment for statistical computing, version 3.5.1. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- Major Depressive Disorder and Emotion-Related Impulsivity: Are Both Related to Cognitive Inhibition? [no. 4].Cogn Ther Res. 2018; 42: 398-407
- Development and aging of cortical thickness correspond to genetic organization patterns.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2015; 112: 15462-15467
- The Structure of the Cerebral Cortex Across Adult Life: Age-Related Patterns of Surface Area, Thickness, and Gyrification.Cerebral Cortex. 2013; 23: 2521-2530
- Disruption of Orbitofrontal Cortex Laterality in Offspring from Multiplex Alcohol Dependence Families.Biological Psychiatry. 2009; 65: 129-136
- A prospective study of the influence of the UPPS model of impulsivity on the co-occurrence of bulimic symptoms and non-suicidal self-injury.Eating Behaviors. 2012; 13: 335-341
- Negative Emotional Action Termination (NEAT): Support for a Cognitive Mechanism Underlying Negative Urgency in Nonsuicidal Self-Injury.Behavior Therapy. 2019; 50: 924-937
- Intracranial-EEG evidence for medial temporal pole driving amygdala activity induced by multi-modal emotional stimuli.Cortex. 2020; 130: 32-48
- Inhibition in the face of emotion: Characterization of the spatial-temporal dynamics that facilitate automatic emotion regulation.Hum Brain Mapp. 2018; 39: 2907-2916
- Development of the uncinate fasciculus: Implications for theory and developmental disorders.Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. 2015; 14: 50-61
- Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex Damage Is Associated with Decreased Ventral Striatum Volume and Response to Reward.J Neurosci. 2016; 36: 5047-5054
- Changes in emotion after circumscribed surgical lesions of the orbitofrontal and cingulate cortices.Brain. 2003; 126: 1691-1712
- Social and emotional functioning following bilateral and unilateral neurosurgical prefrontal cortex lesions.Journal of Neuropsychology. 2009; 3: 125-143
- Characterization of the decision-making deficit of patients with ventromedial prefrontal cortex lesions.Brain. 2000; 123: 2189-2202
- Emotion-related learning in patients with social and emotional changes associated with frontal lobe damage.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry. 1994; 57: 1518-1524
- Symptoms of Frontotemporal Dementia Provide Insights into Orbitofrontal Cortex Function and Social Behavior.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2007; 1121: 528-545
- Neuroimaging Evidence for Right Orbitofrontal Cortex Differences in Adolescents With Emotional and Behavioral Dysregulation.Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2019; 58: 1092-1103
- Direct Electrical Stimulation of Lateral Orbitofrontal Cortex Acutely Improves Mood in Individuals with Symptoms of Depression.Current Biology. 2018; 28 (e4): 3893-3902
- Orbitofrontal cortex.Current Biology. 2018; 28: R1083-R1088
- A new perspective on the role of the orbitofrontal cortex in adaptive behaviour.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 885-892
- Minimal Relationship between Local Gyrification and General Cognitive Ability in Humans.Cerebral Cortex. 2020; 30: 3439-3450
- Cortical gyrification in children with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder and prenatal alcohol exposure.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2021; 225108817
- Structural alterations in lateral prefrontal, parietal and posterior midline regions of men with chronic posttraumatic stress disorder.jpn. 2011; 36: 176-186
- Brain Morphology at Entry into Treatment for Alcohol Dependence Is Related to Relapse Propensity.Biological Psychiatry. 2011; 70: 561-567
- Cortical and Subcortical Gray Matter Volume in Youths With Conduct Problems: A Meta-analysis.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016; 73: 64
- Orbitofrontal sulcogyral morphology is a transdiagnostic indicator of brain dysfunction.NeuroImage: Clinical. 2018; 17: 910-917
- Mindfulness Meditation-Based Pain Relief Employs Different Neural Mechanisms Than Placebo and Sham Mindfulness Meditation-Induced Analgesia.Journal of Neuroscience. 2015; 35: 15307-15325
- Is meditation associated with altered brain structure? A systematic review and meta-analysis of morphometric neuroimaging in meditation practitioners.Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 2014; 43: 48-73
- A Mindfulness-Based Group Intervention for Enhancing Self-Regulation of Emotion in Late Childhood and Adolescence: A Pilot Study.Int J Ment Health Addiction. 2016; 14: 775-790
- Bilateral activation of the prefrontal cortex after strategic semantic cognitive training.Hum Brain Mapp. 2006; 27: 288-295
- Effects of memory training on cortical thickness in the elderly.NeuroImage. 2010; 52: 1667-1676
- Cognitive control training for emotion-related impulsivity.Behaviour Research and Therapy. 2018; 105: 17-26
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy increases pain-evoked activation of the prefrontal cortex in patients with fibromyalgeia.Pain. 2012; 153: 1495-1503
- A brief online intervention to address aggression in the context of emotion-related impulsivity for those treated for bipolar disorder: Feasibility, acceptability and pilot outcome data.Journal of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy. 2020; 30: 65-74
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy