Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Marijuana on the Mind? The Impact of Marijuana on Cognition, Brain Structure, and Brain Function, and Related Public Policy Implications.Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 2017; 4: 104-111
Degenhardt L, Ferrari AJ, Hall WD (2017): The Global Epidemiology and Disease Burden of Cannabis Use and Dependence. Handbook of Cannabis and Related Pathologies: Biology, Pharmacology, Diagnosis, and Treatment.89-100.
- Patterns of recreational cannabis use in Aotearoa-New Zealand and their consequences: evidence to inform voters in the 2020 referendum.J Roy Soc New Zeal. 2020; 50: 348-365
- Effects of Cannabis Use on Human Behavior, Including Cognition, Motivation, and Psychosis: A Review.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016; 73: 292-297
Meier MH, Caspi A, Ambler A, Harrington HL, Houts R, Keefe RSE, et al. (2012): Persistent cannabis users show neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 109.
- Long-term Cannabis Users Show Lower Cognitive Reserves and Smaller Hippocampal Volume in Midlife.American Journal of Psychiatry. 2021; (Press)
- What has research over the past two decades revealed about the adverse health effects of recreational cannabis use?.Addiction. 2015;
- Marijuana matters: reviewing the impact of marijuana on cognition, brain structure and function, & exploring policy implications and barriers to research.Int Rev Psychiatry. 2018; 30: 251-267
- Structural and functional imaging studies in chronic cannabis users: a systematic review of adolescent and adult findings.PLoS One. 2013; 8e55821
- The Role of Cannabinoids in Neuroanatomic Alterations in Cannabis Users.Biol Psychiatry. 2016; 79: e17-31
- Does regular cannabis use affect neuroanatomy? An updated systematic review and meta-analysis of structural neuroimaging studies.European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience. 2019; 269: 59-71
- Is cannabis neurotoxic for the healthy brain? A meta-analytical review of structural brain alterations in non-psychotic users.Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2013; 67: 483-492
- Recreational marijuana use impacts white matter integrity and subcortical (but not cortical) morphometry.NeuroImage: Clinical. 2016; 12: 47-56
- The neuropsychopharmacology of cannabis: A review of human imaging studies.Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2019; 195: 132-161
- Neuroimaging in cannabis use: A systematic review of the literature.Psychological Medicine. 2010; 40: 383-398
- Mega-analysis of gray matter volume in substance dependence: General and substance-specific regional effects.American Journal of Psychiatry. 2019; 176: 119-128
- Cortical surface morphology in long-term cannabis users: A multi-site MRI study.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2019; 29: 257-265
- Daily marijuana use is not associated with brain morphometric measures in adolescents or adults.J Neurosci. 2015; 35: 1505-1512
- Shared Predisposition in the Association Between Cannabis Use and Subcortical Brain Structure.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 994-1001
- Genome-wide association study of lifetime cannabis use based on a large meta-analytic sample of 32 330 subjects from the International Cannabis Consortium.Transl Psychiatry. 2016; 6: e769
- The relationship between cannabis use and other substance use in the general population.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2001; 64: 319-327
- The implications of late-life cannabis use on brain health: A mapping review and implications for future research.Ageing Res Rev. 2020; 59101041
- Marijuana use by middle-aged and older adults in the United States, 2015-2016 (vol 191, pg 374, 2018).Drug Alcohol Depen. 2018; 192 (171-171)
- Cognitive reserve in ageing and Alzheimer's disease.Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11: 1006-1012
- Cognitive reserve and the neurobiology of cognitive aging.Ageing Res Rev. 2004; 3: 369-382
- A longitudinal examination of the relationship between cannabis use and cognitive function in mid-life adults.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 169: 134-140
- Discriminative Properties of Hippocampal Hypoperfusion in Marijuana Users Compared to Healthy Controls: Implications for Marijuana Administration in Alzheimer's Dementia.J Alzheimers Dis. 2017; 56: 261-273
- MRI-based biomarkers of accelerated aging and dementia risk in midlife: how close are we?.Ageing Res Rev. 2020; 61101075
- Predicting brain-age from multimodal imaging data captures cognitive impairment.Neuroimage. 2017; 148: 179-188
- Brain-age in midlife is associated with accelerated biological aging and cognitive decline in a longitudinal birth cohort.Molecular Psychiatry. 2019;
Franke K, Ziegler G, Kloppel S, Gaser C, Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging I (2010): Estimating the age of healthy subjects from T1-weighted MRI scans using kernel methods: exploring the influence of various parameters. Neuroimage. 50:883-892.
- Predicting Age Using Neuroimaging: Innovative Brain Ageing Biomarkers.Trends Neurosci. 2017; 40: 681-690
- A multi-modal parcellation of human cerebral cortex.Nature. 2016; 536: 171-178
Mori S, Wakana S, van Zijl PCM, Nagae-Poetscher LM (2005): MRI atlas of human white matter. Elsevier Science.
- UBO Detector - A cluster-based, fully automated pipeline for extracting white matter hyperintensities.Neuroimage. 2018; 174: 539-549
- Population-level patterns and mental health and substance use correlates of alcohol, marijuana, and tobacco use and co-use in US young adults and adults: Results from the population assessment for tobacco and health.Am J Addict. 2018; 27: 491-500
Benjamini Y, Hochberg Y (1995): Controlling the False Discovery Rate: A Practical and Powerful Approach to Multiple Testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Methodological).
R Core Team (2013): R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Statistical Computing.
- The effects of alcohol and cannabis use on the cortical thickness of cognitive control and salience brain networks in emerging adulthood: a cotwin control study.Biological Psychiatry. 2021; : 1-11
- Association of Cannabis Use During Adolescence With Neurodevelopment.JAMA Psychiatry. 2021;
- Brain structural changes in cannabis dependence: association with MAGL.Molecular Psychiatry. 2020; 25: 3256-3266
- Structural neuroimaging correlates of alcohol and cannabis use in adolescents and adults.Addiction. 2017; 112: 2144-2154
- Neuropathology of alcoholism.Handb Clin Neurol. 2014; 125: 603-615
- White matter microstructural recovery with abstinence and decline with relapse in alcohol dependence interacts with normal ageing: a controlled longitudinal DTI study.Lancet Psychiatry. 2014; 1: 202-212
- White matter volume in alcohol use disorders: a meta-analysis.Addict Biol. 2013; 18: 581-592
- Associations of cigarette smoking with gray and white matter in the UK Biobank.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020; 45: 1215-1222
- Magnetic resonance imaging studies of cigarette smoking.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2009; : 113-143
- Cigarette smoking and thinning of the brain's cortex.Mol Psychiatry. 2015; 20: 778-785
- Cigarette smoking and gray matter brain volumes in middle age adults: the CARDIA Brain MRI sub-study.Transl Psychiatry. 2019; 9: 78
- Testing associations between cannabis use and subcortical volumes in two large population-based samples.Addiction. 2018; 113: 1661-1672
- Association of relative brain age with tobacco smoking, alcohol consumption, and genetic variants.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 10
- Behavioral and Social Research to Accelerate the Geroscience Translation Agenda.Ageing Res Rev. 2020; 63101146
- Orbitofrontal volumes in early adolescence predict initiation of cannabis use: a 4-year longitudinal and prospective study.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 71: 684-692
- Orbitofrontal cortex volume prospectively predicts cannabis and other substance use onset in adolescents.J Psychopharmacol. 2019; 33: 1124-1131
- Adolescent cortical thickness pre- and post marijuana and alcohol initiation.Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2016; 57: 20-29
- Which adolescents develop persistent substance dependence in adulthood? Using population-representative longitudinal data to inform universal risk assessment.Psychol Med. 2016; 46: 877-889
ElSohly MA, Chandra S, Radwan M, Gon C, Church JC (2021): A Comprehensive Review of Cannabis Potency in the USA in the Last Decade. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging.