Establishment of Neural Circuits
- Naef L.
- Srivastava L.
- Gratton A.
- Hendrickson H.
- Owens S.M.
- Walker C.D.
Neuronal Projection Development
Synaptogenesis and Synapse Function
- Liu W.C.
- Wu C.W.
- Hung P.L.
- Chan J.Y.H.
- Tain Y.L.
- Fu M.H.
- et al.
Modulation of CNS-Controlled Behavior
- Liu W.C.
- Wu C.W.
- Hung P.L.
- Chan J.Y.H.
- Tain Y.L.
- Fu M.H.
- et al.
Timing of Exposure
What Lies Ahead
Approaches for Studying Maternal Nutritional Effects on Offspring
Acknowledgments and Disclosures
- The origins of the developmental origins theory.J Intern Med. 2007; 261: 412-417
- Developmental plasticity and human health.Nature. 2004; 430: 419-421
- Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus: The thrifty phenotype hypothesis.Diabetologia. 1992; 35: 595-601
- Fetal nutrition and cardiovascular disease in adult life.Lancet. 1993; 341: 938-941
- Growth in utero and serum cholesterol concentrations in adult life.BMJ. 1993; 307: 1524-1527
- Normal development of brain circuits.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 35: 147-168
- Integrative neurobiology of energy homeostasis-neurocircuits, signals and mediators.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2010; 31: 4-15
- The hippocampus and memory: Insights from spatial processing.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008; 9: 182-194
- Dopamine, learning and motivation.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2004; 5: 483-494
- Gestational weight gain and the risk of offspring obesity at 10 and 16 years: A prospective cohort study in low-income women.BJOG. 2015; 122: 1395-1402
- The offspring of the diabetic mother—Short- and long-term implications.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2015; 29: 256-269
- Neuronal regulation of energy homeostasis: Beyond the hypothalamus and feeding.Cell Metab. 2015; 22: 962-970
- Maternal body mass index before pregnancy as a risk factor for ADHD and autism in children.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2018; 27: 139-148
- The risk of offspring psychiatric disorders in the setting of maternal obesity and diabetes.Pediatrics. 2018; 142
- The association of maternal obesity and diabetes with autism and other developmental disabilities.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20152206
- The role of maternal obesity in the risk of neuropsychiatric disorders.Front Neurosci. 2015; 9: 194
- Maternal adiposity prior to pregnancy is associated with ADHD symptoms in offspring: Evidence from three prospective pregnancy cohorts.Int J Obes (Lond). 2008; 32: 550-557
- Prevalence and characteristics associated with gestational weight gain adequacy.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 773-781
- New guidelines for weight gain during pregnancy: What obstetrician/gynecologists should know.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 21: 521-526
- Gestational weight gain across continents and ethnicity: Systematic review and meta-analysis of maternal and infant outcomes in more than one million women.BMC Med. 2018; 16: 153
- Preconceptional and maternal obesity: Epidemiology and health consequences.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 1025-1036
- Prevalence estimates of gestational diabetes mellitus in the United States, Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS), 2007–2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E104
- The early development of the meninges of the spinal cord in human embryos.in: Contributions to Embryology No. 228. Carnegie Institution of Washington, Washington1951: 145-157
- Neurulation in the mouse: Manner and timing of neural tube closure.Anat Rec. 1989; 223: 194-203
- Autoradiographic study of cell migration during histogenesis of cerebral cortex in the mouse.Nature. 1961; 192: 766-768
- Molecular logic of neocortical projection neuron specification, development and diversity.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2013; 14: 755-769
- Ontogeny of the human central nervous system: What is happening when?.Early Hum Dev. 2006; 82: 257-266
- Diffusion tensor imaging of the developing human cerebrum.J Neurosci Res. 2005; 81: 172-178
- Neuronal migration, with special reference to developing human brain: A review.Brain Res. 1973; 62: 1-35
- Programmed cell death in the developing human telencephalon.Eur J Neurosci. 2000; 12: 2721-2734
- Widespread programmed cell death in proliferative and postmitotic regions of the fetal cerebral cortex.Development. 1996; 122: 1165-1174
- Neuronal polarization.Development. 2015; 142: 2088-2093
- Comparative aspects of the brain growth spurt.Early Hum Dev. 1979; 3: 79-83
- How do dendrites take their shape?.Nat Neurosci. 2001; 4: 359-365
- Molecular and cellular control of dendrite maturation during brain development.Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2010; 3: 1-11
- The control of dendrite development.Neuron. 2003; 40: 229-242
- Molecular control of cortical dendrite development.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2002; 25: 127-149
- Synaptic density in human frontal cortex—Developmental changes and effects of aging.Brain Res. 1979; 163: 195-205
- Neurobiological bases of behavioral development in the first year.Neuropediatrics. 1997; 28: 296-306
- A quantitative electron microscopic study of synaptogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the rat.Brain Res. 1973; 63: 195-204
- Tissue culture studies of central nervous system maturation.Res Publ Assoc Res Nerv Ment Dis. 1973; 51: 113-131
- Tubulin gene expression during synaptogenesis in rat, mouse and chick brain.Int J Dev Neurosci. 1991; 9: 89-99
- SnapShot: Cortical development.Cell. 2012; 151: 918-918.e1
- Quantitative analysis of perinatal rodent oligodendrocyte lineage progression and its correlation with human.Exp Neurol. 2003; 181: 231-240
- Strain-specific differences in perinatal rodent oligodendrocyte lineage progression and its correlation with human.Dev Neurosci. 2011; 33: 251-260
- Myelination: A critical stage in development.Neurotoxicology. 1986; 7: 103-120
- In vivo studies of brain development by magnetic resonance techniques.Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev. 2000; 6: 59-67
- Quantification of brain maturation and growth patterns in C57BL/6J mice via computational neuroanatomy of diffusion tensor images.Cereb Cortex. 2009; 19: 675-687
- Early postnatal development of rat brain: In vivo diffusion tensor imaging.J Neurosci Res. 2008; 86: 1520-1528
- Brain development in rodents and humans: Identifying benchmarks of maturation and vulnerability to injury across species.Prog Neurobiol. 2013; 106–107: 1-16
- Thrombospondins are astrocyte-secreted proteins that promote CNS synaptogenesis.Cell. 2005; 120: 421-433
- Neurovascular development: The beginning of a beautiful friendship.Cell Adh Migr. 2009; 3: 199-204
- The organization and postnatal development of the commissural projection of the rat somatic sensory cortex.J Comp Neurol. 1976; 168: 313-343
- Glial fibrillary acidic protein immunoreactive astrocytes in developing rat hippocampus.Mech Ageing Dev. 2002; 123: 481-490
- Cellular and molecular introduction to brain development.Neurobiol Dis. 2016; 92: 3-17
- Astrocyte development and heterogeneity.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2014; 7: a020362
- Early life origins of metabolic disease: Developmental programming of hypothalamic pathways controlling energy homeostasis.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2015; 39: 3-16
- Role of hypothalamic neurogenesis in feeding regulation.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 25: 80-88
- High fat diet-induced maternal obesity alters fetal hippocampal development.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2009; 27: 627-633
- Diabetes during pregnancy enhanced neuronal death in the hippocampus of rat offspring.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2016; 51: 28-35
- Maternal obesity causes fetal hypothalamic insulin resistance and disrupts development of hypothalamic feeding pathways.Mol Metab. 2020; 42: 101079
- Maternal obesity leads to increased proliferation and numbers of astrocytes in the developing fetal and neonatal mouse hypothalamus.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2016; 53: 18-25
- Prenatal fat-rich diet exposure alters responses of embryonic neurons to the chemokine, CCL2, in the hypothalamus.Neuroscience. 2016; 324: 407-419
- Chronic maternal hyperglycemia induced during mid-pregnancy in rats increases RAGE expression, augments hippocampal excitability, and alters behavior of the offspring.Neuroscience. 2015; 303: 241-260
- Maternal high-fat diet during lactation reprograms the dopaminergic circuitry in mice.J Clin Invest. 2020; 130: 3761-3776
- Impact of early exposure to a cafeteria diet on prefrontal cortex monoamines and novel object recognition in adolescent rats.Behav Brain Res. 2019; 363: 191-198
- Exposure to maternal consumption of cafeteria diet during the lactation period programmes feeding behaviour in the rat.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2011; 29: 785-793
- Maternal high-fat intake alters presynaptic regulation of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens and increases motivation for fat rewards in the offspring.Neuroscience. 2011; 176: 225-236
- Maternal high fat diet during the perinatal period alters mesocorticolimbic dopamine in the adult rat offspring: Reduction in the behavioral responses to repeated amphetamine administration.Psychopharmacol (Berl). 2008; 197: 83-94
- Maternal high-fat diet multigenerationally impairs hippocampal synaptic plasticity and memory in male rat offspring.Endocrinology. 2021; 162
- Maternal insulin resistance multigenerationally impairs synaptic plasticity and memory via gametic mechanisms.Nat Commun. 2019; 10: 4799
- Altered neuroanatomical organization in the central nervous system of the genetically obese (ob/ob) mouse.Brain Res. 1979; 165: 249-260
- Trophic action of leptin on hypothalamic neurons that regulate feeding.Science. 2004; 304: 108-110
- Insulin receptor signaling in the development of neuronal structure and function.Neural Dev. 2010; 5: 7
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 regulates developing brain glucose metabolism.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000; 97: 10236-10241
- Developmental effects of ghrelin.Peptides. 2011; 32: 2362-2366
- Distinct roles for specific leptin receptor signals in the development of hypothalamic feeding circuits.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 1244-1252
- Maternal diabetes compromises the organization of hypothalamic feeding circuits and impairs leptin sensitivity in offspring.Endocrinology. 2011; 152: 4171-4179
- Neonatal insulin action impairs hypothalamic neurocircuit formation in response to maternal high-fat feeding.Cell. 2014; 156: 495-509
- Maternal obesity in the mouse compromises the blood-brain barrier in the arcuate nucleus of offspring.Endocrinology. 2016; 157: 2229-2242
- Hypothalamic ependymal-glial cells express the glucose transporter GLUT2, a protein involved in glucose sensing.J Neurochem. 2003; 86: 709-724
- Hypothalamic tanycytes are an ERK-gated conduit for leptin into the brain.Cell Metab. 2014; 19: 293-301
- Microglia modulate wiring of the embryonic forebrain.Cell Rep. 2014; 8: 1271-1279
- The impacts of diabetes in pregnancy on hippocampal synaptogenesis in rat neonates.Neuroscience. 2016; 318: 122-133
- Altered expression and localization of synaptophysin in developing cerebellar cortex of neonatal rats due to maternal diabetes mellitus.Metab Brain Dis. 2016; 31: 1369-1380
- Retardation of fetal dendritic development induced by gestational hyperglycemia is associated with brain insulin/IGF-I signals.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2014; 37: 15-20
- Maternal high-fat diet leads to persistent synaptic instability in mouse offspring via oxidative stress during lactation.Neurochem Int. 2016; 97: 99-108
- Dietary exposure to excess saturated fat during early life alters hippocampal gene expression and increases risk for behavioral disorders in adulthood.Front Neurosci. 2020; 14: 527258
- Maternal high-fat diet alters methylation and gene expression of dopamine and opioid-related genes.Endocrinology. 2010; 151: 4756-4764
- Epigenetic dysregulation of dopaminergic system by maternal cafeteria diet during early postnatal development.Neuroscience. 2020; 424: 12-23
- Sex-specific epigenetic alterations of the hypothalamic Agrp-Pomc system do not explain ‘diabesity’ in the offspring of high-fat diet (HFD) overfed maternal rats.J Nutr Biochem. 2020; 75
- Maternal overnutrition programs epigenetic changes in the regulatory regions of hypothalamic Pomc in the offspring of rats.Int J Obes (Lond). 2018; 42: 1431-1444
- Hypothalamic insulin receptor expression and DNA promoter methylation are sex-specifically altered in adult offspring of high-fat diet (HFD)-overfed mother rats.J Nutr Biochem. 2019; 67: 28-35
- Maternal chronic folate supplementation ameliorates behavior disorders induced by prenatal high-fat diet through methylation alteration of BDNF and Grin2b in offspring hippocampus.Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017; 61
- Methyl donor supplementation blocks the adverse effects of maternal high fat diet on offspring physiology.PLoS One. 2013; 8e63549
- Maternal high fat diet-induced obesity modifies histone binding and expression of Oxtr in offspring hippocampus in a sex-specific manner.Int J Mol Sci. 2019; 20
- Maternal high-fat diet impairs leptin signaling and up-regulates type-1 cannabinoid receptor with sex-specific epigenetic changes in the hypothalamus of newborn rats.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2019; 103: 306-315
- Environmental stimulation counteracts the suppressive effects of maternal high-fructose diet on cell proliferation and neuronal differentiation in the dentate gyrus of adult female offspring via histone deacetylase 4.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17
- Maternal obesity during pregnancy alters daily activity and feeding cycles, and hypothalamic clock gene expression in adult male mouse offspring.Int J Mol Sci. 2019; 20
- Maternal obesity-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress causes metabolic alterations and abnormal hypothalamic development in the offspring.PLoS Biol. 2020; 18e3000296
- The central nervous system and the gut microbiome.Cell. 2016; 167: 915-932
- A core gut microbiome in obese and lean twins.Nature. 2009; 457: 480-484
- Obesity alters gut microbial ecology.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 11070-11075
- The maternal microbiome modulates fetal neurodevelopment in mice.Nature. 2020; 586: 281-286
- Host remodeling of the gut microbiome and metabolic changes during pregnancy.Cell. 2012; 150: 470-480
- Distinct composition of gut microbiota during pregnancy in overweight and normal-weight women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 894-899
- Microbiota modulate behavioral and physiological abnormalities associated with neurodevelopmental disorders.Cell. 2013; 155: 1451-1463
- Microbiota and neurodevelopmental trajectories: Role of maternal and early-life nutrition.Ann Nutr Metab. 2019; 74: 16-27
- Microbial reconstitution reverses maternal diet-induced social and synaptic deficits in offspring.Cell. 2016; 165: 1762-1775
- Diet-induced changes in maternal gut microbiota and metabolomic profiles influence programming of offspring obesity risk in rats.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 20683
- A weight-gain-for-gestational-age z score chart for the assessment of maternal weight gain in pregnancy.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 97: 1062-1067
- Gestational weight gain and child cognitive development.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 414-422
- Maternal high-fat diet during lactation impairs thermogenic function of brown adipose tissue in offspring mice.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 34345
- High-fat food biases hypothalamic and mesolimbic expression of consummatory drives.Nat Neurosci. 2020; 23: 1253-1266
- Sensory detection of food rapidly modulates arcuate feeding circuits.Cell. 2015; 160: 829-841
- Food perception primes hepatic ER homeostasis via melanocortin-dependent control of mTOR activation.Cell. 2018; 175: 1321-1335.e20
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy