Mind versus body. What we see versus what we feel. What we can measure versus what can never be quantified. For millennia, philosophers, religious leaders, and scientists have wrestled with the tension between our physical existence and the intangible nature of consciousness.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The effects of early experience on problem solving at maturity.Am Psychol. 1947; 2: 306-307
- The impact of environmental enrichment in laboratory rats—Behavioural and neurochemical aspects.Behav Brain Res. 2011; 222: 246-264
- Inoculation stress hypothesis of environmental enrichment.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 49: 19-31
- Caudate glucose metabolic rate changes with both drug and behavior therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992; 49: 681-689
- Epigenetic and neural circuitry landscape of psychotherapeutic interventions.Psychiatry J. 2017; 2017: 5491812
- Enhancement of psychosocial treatment with d-cycloserine: models, moderators, and future directions.Biol Psychiatry. 2016; 80: 274-283
- The Dynamic Duo: Combining noninvasive brain stimulation with cognitive interventions.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 89: 347-360
- The need for a new medical model: a challenge for biomedicine.Science. 1977; 196: 129-136
- Change in monoamine transporter density related to clinical recovery: A case-control study.Nord J Psychiatry. 1998; 52: 39-44
- Changes in CREB phosphorylation and BDNF plasma levels during psychotherapy of depression.Psychother Psychosom. 2009; 78: 187-192
- Research letter: Psychotherapy increases brain serotonin 5-HT1A receptors in patients with major depressive disorder.Psychol Med. 2010; 40: 523-528
- Neural substrates of treatment response to cognitive-behavioral therapy in panic disorder with agoraphobia.Am J Psychiatry. 2013; 170: 1345-1355
- Response to psychotherapy in borderline personality disorder and methylation status of the BDNF gene.Transl Psychiatry. 2013; 3e207
- Epigenetic biomarkers as predictors and correlates of symptom improvement following psychotherapy in combat veterans with PTSD.Front Psychiatry. 2013; 4: 118
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for generalized anxiety disorder is associated with attenuation of limbic activation to threat-related facial emotions.J Affect Disord. 2014; 169: 76-85
- Alterations of amygdala-prefrontal connectivity with real-time fMRI neurofeedback in BPD patients.Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2016; 11: 952-960
- The DNA methylome in panic disorder: A case-control and longitudinal psychotherapy-epigenetic study.Transl Psychiatry. 2019; 9: 314
Accepted: January 20, 2020
Received in revised form: January 17, 2020
Received: January 16, 2020
© 2020 Society of Biological Psychiatry.