Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- ADHD and smoking.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008; 1141: 131-147
- Does ADHD predict substance-use disorders? A 10-year follow-up study of young adults with ADHD.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011; 50: 543-553
- ADHD as a serious risk factor for early smoking and nicotine dependence in adulthood.J Atten Disord. 2013; 17: 176-186
- Association between smoking and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in a population-based sample of young adults.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 1142-1147
- Cigarette smoking in adult patients diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.J Subst Abuse. 1995; 7: 373-378
- Prevalence of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in substance use disorder patients: A meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012; 122: 11-19
- The worldwide prevalence of ADHD: A systematic review and metaregression analysis.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 942-948
- Heritability of attention problems in children: Longitudinal results from a study of twins, age 3 to 12.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2004; 45: 577-588
- The prevalence and correlates of adult ADHD in the United States: Results from the national comorbidity survey replication.Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163: 716-723
- Genetic epidemiology of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD index) in adults.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e10621
- Nicotine effects on adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Psychopharmacology. 1996; 123: 55-63
- An epidemiological study of ADHD symptoms among young persons and the relationship with cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption and illicit drug use.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2012; 53: 304-312
- Long-lasting cognitive deficits resulting from adolescent nicotine exposure in rats.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009; 34: 299-306
- Lasting synaptic changes underlie attention deficits caused by nicotine exposure during adolescence.Nat Neurosci. 2011; 14: 417-419
- Effects of nicotinic stimulation on cognitive performance.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2004; 4: 36-46
- Acute nicotine improves cognitive deficits in young adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Pharmacol Biochem Behavior. 2008; 88: 407-417
- AZD3480, a novel nicotinic receptor agonist, for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults.Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 75: 207-214
- The yin and yang of nicotine: Harmful during development, beneficial in adult patient populations.Front Pharmacol. 2012; 3: 180
- Cholinergic systems in brain development and disruption by neurotoxicants: Nicotine, environmental tobacco smoke, organophosphates.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004; 198: 132-151
- Consequences of youth tobacco use: A review of prospective behavioural studies.Addiction. 2006; 101: 948-958
- Effects of smoking and smoking abstinence on cognition in adolescent tobacco smokers.Biol Psychiatry. 2005; 57: 56-66
- Gender-specific effects of prenatal and adolescent exposure to tobacco smoke on auditory and visual attention.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007; 32: 2453-2464
- Smoking impacts on prefrontal attentional network function in young adult brains.Psychopharmacology. 2007; 191: 159-169
- Smoking and major depression: A causal analysis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1993; 50: 36-43
- Personality differences in monozygotic twins discordant for cannabis use.Addiction. 2007; 102: 1942-1946
- The shared genetics of migraine and anxious depression.Headache. 2010; 50: 1549-1560
- Testing causality in the association between regular exercise and symptoms of anxiety and depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008; 65: 897-905
- The Adult Netherlands Twin Register: Twenty-five years of survey and biological data collection.Twin Res Hum Genet. 2013; 16: 271-281
- The Young Netherlands Twin Register (YNTR): Longitudinal twin and family studies in over 70,000 children.Twin Res Hum Genet. 2013; 16: 252-267
Conners CK, Erhardt D, Sparrow E (1999): Conners’ Adult ADHD Rating Scales (CAARS) (59 Suppl), 7th ed. North Tonawanda, NY: Multi-Health Systems Inc
Achenbach TM (1991): Integrative Guide for the 1991 CBCL/4-18, YSR, and TRF Profiles. Burlington: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry
- Comparisons of problems reported by youths from seven countries.Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1479-1485
- Epidemiological comparisons of American and Dutch adolescents’ self-reports.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993; 32: 1135-1144
- The prevalence of DSM-III-R diagnoses in a national sample of Dutch adolescents.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 329-336
Foundation for Pharmaceutical Statistics (2012): Use of ADHD medication cannot be restrained [in Dutch]. Available at: http://www.sfk.nl/nieuws-publicaties/PW/2012/gebruik-adhd-middelen-niet-in-te-tomen. Accessed May 8, 2014.
- Genetic and environmental stability in attention problems across the lifespan: Evidence from the Netherlands Twin Register.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013; 52: 12-25
- A meta-analysis of estimated genetic and environmental effects on smoking behavior in male and female adult twins.Addiction. 2003; 98: 23-31
- The genetic epidemiology of smoking.Nicotine Tob Res. 1999; 1: S51-S57
- Heritability of smoking initiation and nicotine dependence.Behav Genet. 2005; 35: 397-406
- Analysis of cigarette smoke condensates by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry I acidic fraction.Anal Chem. 2003; 75: 4441-4451
- Nicotine exposure during adolescence alters the rules for prefrontal cortical synaptic plasticity during adulthood.Front Synaptic Neurosci. 2012; 2: 3
- Dynamic mapping of human cortical development during childhood through early adulthood.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101: 8174-8179
- Longitudinal mapping of cortical thickness and brain growth in normal children.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 8223-8231
World Health Organization (2003): WHO European profiles on tobacco control. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/68118/E80607.pdf. Accessed December 19, 2013.
Rijksoverheid (Dutch government) (2013): Age limit for tobacco sale increased to 18 years starting from January 1, 2014 [in Dutch]. Available at: http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/roken/nieuws/2013/11/12/leeftijdsgrens-tabaksverkoop-naar-18-jaar-vanaf-1-januari-2014.html. Accessed December 20, 2013.
European Commission (2013): Report on the implementation of the Council Recommendation of 30 November 2009 on smoke-free environments (2009/C 296/02). Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/docs/smoke-free_implementation_report_en.pdf. Accessed December 19, 2013.
The Guardian (2013): New York Lifts smoking age to 21. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/31/new-york-usa. Accessed December 19, 2013.
- Prospective study of tobacco smoking and substance dependencies among samples of ADHD and non-ADHD participants.J Learn Disabil. 1998; 31: 533-544
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder among children exposed to secondhand smoke: A logistic regression analysis of secondary data.Int J Nurs Stud. 2012; 50: 797-806
- Maternal smoking during pregnancy and child outcomes: Real or spurious effect?.Dev Neuropsychol. 2009; 34: 1-36
- Maternal smoking during pregnancy and offspring conduct problems: Evidence from 3 independent genetically sensitive research designs.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 956-963
- The ration of a urinary tobacco-specific lung carcinogen metabolite to cotinine is significantly higher in passive than in active smokers.Biomarkers. 2011; 16: 491-497
- Strength of the relationship between tobacco smoking, nicotine dependence and the severity of alcohol dependence syndrome criteria in a population-based sample.Alcohol Alcohol. 2003; 38: 606-612
- The co-occurring use and misuse of cannabis and tobacco: A review.Addiction. 2012; 107: 1221-1233
World Health Organization (2011): WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic: Warning about the dangers of tobacco. Available at: http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2011/en/. Accessed December 17, 2013.
- Smoking initiation among young adults in the United States and Canada, 1998-2010: A systematic review.Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: 110037