The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) project is developing a research classification system for psychopathology based upon dimensions of neurobiology and observable behavior (
1). This commentary highlights the compatibility of the dimensional approach with extant research on brain and behavioral development and demonstrates how the application of a neurodevelopmental perspective can extend and enrich RDoC.
- Insel T.
- Cuthbert B.
- Garvey M.
- Heinssen R.
- Pine D.S.
- Quinn K.
- et al.
Research domain criteria (RDoc): Toward a new classification framework for research on mental disorders.
Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 748-751
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Research domain criteria (RDoc): Toward a new classification framework for research on mental disorders.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 748-751
- Why do many psychiatric disorders emerge during adolescence?.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008; 9: 947-957
- Environmental and genetic influences on neurocognitive development: The importance of multiple methodologies and time-dependent intervention.Clin Psychol Sci. 2014; (doi:10.1177/2167702614521188)
- Dynamic mapping of human cortical development during childhood through early adulthood.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101: 8174-8179
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is characterized by a delay in cortical maturation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007; 104: 19649-19654
- Cortical development in typically developing children with symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity: Support for a dimensional view of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 2011; 168: 143-151
- Altered fear leaning across development in both mouse and human.Proc Nat Acad Sci U S A. 2012; 109: 16318-16323
- Fear and anxiety from principle to practice: Implications for when to treat youth with anxiety disorders.Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 75: e19-e20
- Autism spectrum disorders: Developmental disconnection syndromes.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2007; 17: 103-111
- From behavior to cognition to the brain and back: What have we learned from functional imaging studies of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?.Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163: 957-960
Published online: April 21, 2014
Accepted: January 14, 2014
Received: January 13, 2014
© 2014 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.