D-cycloserine (DCS), (4R)-4-amino-1,2-oxazolidin-3-one, is a partial agonist at the strychnine-insensitive glycine modulatory site associated with the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor complex. DCS is also a less efficient ligand of NMDA receptor function than endogenous full agonists, such as glycine and D-serine. At high doses, DCS acts as an antagonist by displacing more efficacious endogenous agonists, but at moderate doses, DCS facilitates glutamatergic neurotransmission via the NMDA receptor. Recent meta-analysis shows that glycine, D-serine, and sarcosine (N-methylglycine), an endogenous glycine transporter-1 inhibitor, are more effective than DCS in improving the overall psychopathology in patients with schizophrenia receiving antipsychotic drugs (
1). This suggests a relatively narrow therapeutic window for DCS, most likely due to its partial agonist properties.
- Tsai G.E.
- Lin P.Y.
Strategies to enhance N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-mediated neurotransmission in schizophrenia. A critical review and meta-analysis.
Curr Pham Des. 2010; 16: 522-537
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Strategies to enhance N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-mediated neurotransmission in schizophrenia. A critical review and meta-analysis.Curr Pham Des. 2010; 16: 522-537
- A meta-analysis of D-cycloserine and the facilitation of fear extinction and exposure therapy.Biol Psychiatry. 2008; 63: 1118-1126
- D-Cycloserine augmentation of behavioral therapy for the treatment of anxiety disorders: A meta-analysis.J Clin Psychiatry. 2012; 73: 533-537
- Effects of D-cycloserine on extinction: Translation from preclinical to clinical work.Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 60: 369-375
- Enhancing prolonged exposure therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder with D-cycloserine: Further support for treatments that promote experience-dependent neuroplasticity.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 71: 932-934
- Levels of D-serine in the brain and peripheral organs of serine racemase (Srr) knock-out mice.Neurochem Int. 2011; 59: 853-859
- Structure and reactions of cycloserine.J Am Chem Soc. 1955; 77: 2345-2346
- Pilot controlled trial of D-serine for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder.Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2009; 12: 1275-1282
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of D-amino acid oxidase inhibitors.J Med Chem. 2008; 51: 3357-3359
- Co-administration of D-amino acid oxidase inhibitor potentiates the efficacy of D-serine on prepulse inhibition deficits after administration of dizocilpine.Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 65: 1103-1106
Published online: August 09, 2012
© 2013 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.