The holy grail for research in bipolar disorder (BD) is the mechanism that underlies the switch to acute manic and depressive episodes. Armed with knowledge of the switch, researchers could more effectively prevent and treat episodes of this disorder. However, the switch mechanism has been elusive and the quest continues.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neural activation during facial emotion processing in unmedicated bipolar depression, euthymia, and mania.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 71: 603-610
- Manic-Depressive Illness: Bipolar Disorders and Recurrent Depression.2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York2007
- A ventral prefrontal-amygdala neural system in bipolar disorder: a view from neuroimaging research.Acta Neuropsychiatr. 2009; 21: 228-238
- Reduced activation in the mirror neuron system during a virtual social cognition task in euthymic bipolar disorder.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 33: 1409-1416
- Olfactocentric paralimbic cortex morphology in adolescents with bipolar disorder.Brain. 2011; 134: 2005-2012
- Effect of catecholamine depletion on lithium-induced long-term remission of bipolar disorder.Biol Psychiatry. 1999; 45: 972-978
- The neurobiology of the switch process in bipolar disorder: a review.J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71: 1488-1501
- Role of variation in the serotonin transporter protein gene (SLC6A4) in trait disturbances in the ventral anterior cingulate in bipolar disorder.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009; 34: 1301-1310
- The association of genetic variation in CACNA1C with structure and function of a frontotemporal system.Bipolar Disord. 2011; 13: 696-700
- Clock genes beyond the clock: CLOCK genotype biases neural correlates of moral valence decision in depressed patients.Genes Brain Behav. 2008; 7: 20-25
- Corticostriatal-limbic gray matter morphology in adolescents with self-reported exposure to childhood maltreatment.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165: 1069-1107
Accepted: February 7, 2012
Received: February 7, 2012
© 2012 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Neural Activation During Facial Emotion Processing in Unmedicated Bipolar Depression, Euthymia, and ManiaBiological PsychiatryVol. 71Issue 7
- PreviewStudies incorporating direct comparisons across all phases of bipolar (BP) disorder are needed to elucidate the pathophysiology of bipolar disorder. However, functional neuroimaging studies that differentiate bipolar mood states from each other and from healthy subjects are few and have yielded inconsistent findings.