Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) is a psychiatric disorder characterized by a long-term pattern of manipulating, exploiting, or violating the rights of others.
Subjects ascertained for genetic studies of substance dependence (SD) and diagnosed with ASPD and comorbid SD were included in a two-stage genetic association study. In the discovery stage, 627 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) located in 179 candidate genes for addiction were analyzed in a case-control cohort and family-based cohort. The significant findings were replicated in an independent case-control cohort.
One SNP, rs13134663, in the collagen XXV alpha 1 gene (COL25A1) was significantly associated with ASPD in both African Americans and European Americans (smallest p values were .0002 and .0004, respectively). There was also evidence of association with the same SNP in independent samples of African American and European American cases and control subjects (p = .035 and .033, respectively). Analysis of the combined set of case-control subjects yielded an allelic p value of 9 × 10−6 with odds ratio (95% confidence interval) of 1.3 (1.16, 1.47) (smallest p = 1 × 10−7; Bonferroni threshold p = .00012).
The COL25A1 gene, located at chromosome 4q25, encodes the collagen-like Alzheimer amyloid plaque component precursor, a type II transmembrane protein specifically expressed in neurons; it co-localizes with amyloid β in senile plaques in Alzheimer disease brains. This SNP maps to the transcription factor binding site and is conserved in 17 vertebrates, including mice and rats. Our findings suggest that COL25A1 may be associated with ASPD, especially in the context of SD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.4th Edition. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC2000 (Revision (DSM-IV-R))
- What should be done with antisocial personality disorder in the new edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V)?.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 66
- Antisocial personality disorder as a predictor of criminal behaviour in a longitudinal study of a cohort of abusers of several classes of drugs: Relation to type of substance and type of crime.Addict Behav. 2008; 33: 799-811
- Genetic influences in antisocial personality and drug use disorders.Drug Alcohol Depend. 1998; 49: 177-187
- Genetic contributions to antisocial personality and behavior: A meta-analytic review from an evolutionary perspective.J Soc Psychol. 2010; 150: 160-180
- Antisocial personality disorder, alcohol, and aggression.Alcohol Res Health. 2001; 25: 5-11
- Antisocial behavioral syndromes and DSM-IV alcohol use disorders: Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007; 31: 814-828
- Interaction between ALDH2*1*1 and DRD2/ANKK1 TaqI A1A1 genes may be associated with antisocial personality disorder not co-morbid with alcoholism [published online ahead of print November 11].Addict Biol. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1369-1600.2010.00268.x
- Frontal brain dysfunction in alcoholism with and without antisocial personality disorder.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2009; 5: 309-326
- Risky decisions and their consequences: Neural processing by boys with Antisocial Substance Disorder.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e12835
- Haplotypes of dopamine and serotonin transporter genes are associated with antisocial personality disorder in alcoholics.Psychiatr Genet. 2010; 20: 140-152
- Association of candidate genes with antisocial drug dependence in adolescents.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008; 96: 90-98
- Role of genotype in the cycle of violence in maltreated children.Science. 2002; 297: 851-854
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase gene variant and birth weight predict early-onset antisocial behavior in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 1275-1278
- 5-HTTLPR as a potential moderator of the effects of adverse childhood experiences on risk of antisocial personality disorder.Psychiatr Genet. 2011; 21: 240-248
- Incremental effect for antisocial personality disorder genetic risk combining 5-HTTLPR and 5-HTTVNTR polymorphisms.Psychiatry Res. 2010; 177: 161-166
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).4th ed. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1994
- Reliability of DSM-IV diagnostic criteria using the semi-structured assessment for drug dependence and alcoholism (SSADDA).Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007; 91: 85-90
- Genomewide linkage scan for cocaine dependence and related traits: Significant linkages for a cocaine-related trait and cocaine-induced paranoia.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2005; 136B: 45-52
- Addictions biology: Haplotype-based analysis for 130 candidate genes on a single array.Alcohol Alcohol. 2008; 43: 505-515
- A note on exact tests of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.Am J Hum Genet. 2005; 76: 887-893
- A unified association analysis approach for family and unrelated samples correcting for stratification.Am J Hum Genet. 2008; 82: 352-365
- Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data.Genetics. 2000; 155: 945-959
- Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: Linked loci and correlated allele frequencies.Genetics. 2003; 164: 1567-1587
- PLINK: A tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses.Am J Hum Genet. 2007; 81: 559-575
- Meta-analysis shows significant association between dopamine system genes and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).Hum Mol Genet. 2006; 15: 2276-2284
- Maximum-likelihood estimation of molecular haplotype frequencies in a diploid population.Mol Biol Evol. 1995; 12: 921-927
- Haploview: Analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 263-265
- SNAP: A web-based tool for identification and annotation of proxy SNPs using HapMap.Bioinformatics. 2008; 24: 2938-2939
- COL25A1 triggers and promotes Alzheimer's disease-like pathology in vivo.Neurogenetics. 2010; 11: 41-52
- CLAC: A novel Alzheimer amyloid plaque component derived from a transmembrane precursor, CLAC-P/collagen type XXV.EMBO J. 2002; 21: 1524-1534
- CLAC binds to amyloid beta peptides through the positively charged amino acid cluster within the collagenous domain 1 and inhibits formation of amyloid fibrils.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 8596-8605
- Genetic association to the amyloid plaque associated protein gene COL25A1 in Alzheimer's disease.Neurobiol Aging. 2010; 31: 409-415
- SNPseek - a web based software tool for accessing alleles, frequencies, and other information about SNPs.http://snp.wustl.edu/SNPseek/index.cgiDate: 2011
- Principal components analysis corrects for stratification in genome-wide association studies.Nat Genet. 2006; 38: 904-909
- In vitro morphogenesis of arrested embryos from lethal mutants of Arabidopsis thafiana.Theor Appl Genet. 1989; 77: 609-616
- Brain expression quantitative trait locus mapping informs genetic studies of psychiatric diseases.Neurosci Bull. 2011; 27: 123-133
- Transcriptome genetics using second generation sequencing in a Caucasian population.Nature. 2011; 464: 773-777
Published online: February 02, 2012
Accepted: December 13, 2011
Received in revised form: December 12, 2011
Received: September 15, 2011
© 2012 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.