We thank Brunoni et al. (
1) for their interesting and thoughtful commentary on our review and meta-analysis on heart rate variability (HRV) (
- Brunoni A.R.
- Lotufo P.A.
- Benseñor I.M.
Are antidepressants good for the soul but bad for the matter? Using noninvasive brain stimulation to detangle depression/antidepressants effects on heart rate variability and cardiovascular risk.
Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 71: e27-e28
2). Heart rate variability has generated significant interest in the research and clinical communities, because it predicts future mortality (
- Kemp A.H.
- Quintana D.S.
- Gray M.A.
- Felmingham K.L.
- Brown K.
- Gatt J.M.
Impact of depression and antidepressant treatment on heart rate variability: A review and meta-analysis.
Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 1067-1074
- Galinier M.
- Pathak A.
- Fourcade J.
- Androdias C.
- Curnier D.
- Varnous S.
- et al.
Depressed low frequency power of heart rate variability as an independent predictor of sudden death in chronic heart failure.
Eur Heart J. 2000; 21: 475-482
4) and might underlie the poor social functioning observed in a variety of psychiatric disorders (
- Dekker J.M.
- Crow R.S.
- Folsom A.R.
- Hannan P.J.
- Liao D.
- Swenne C.A.
- et al.
Low heart rate variability in a 2-minute rhythm strip predicts risk of coronary heart disease and mortality from several causes: The ARIC Study Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities.
Circulation. 2000; 102: 1239-1244
5), including major depressive disorder (MDD).
- Porges S.W.
The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation.
1st ed. W.W. Norton and Company, New York2011
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Are antidepressants good for the soul but bad for the matter?.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 71: e27-e28
- Impact of depression and antidepressant treatment on heart rate variability: A review and meta-analysis.Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 1067-1074
- Depressed low frequency power of heart rate variability as an independent predictor of sudden death in chronic heart failure.Eur Heart J. 2000; 21: 475-482
- Low heart rate variability in a 2-minute rhythm strip predicts risk of coronary heart disease and mortality from several causes: The ARIC Study.Circulation. 2000; 102: 1239-1244
- The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation.1st ed. W.W. Norton and Company, New York2011
- To include or not to include?.Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 69 (author reply e3–e4): e1
- Depression, antidepressant treatment and the cardiovascular system.Acta Neuropsychiatrica. 2011; 23: 82-83
- Depression Can Break Your Heart, Literally.Accessed September 7, 2011)
- Longitudinal evidence for unfavorable effects of antidepressants on heart rate variability.Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 68: 861-868
- Effects of serotonin reuptake inhibitors on heart rate variability: Methodological issues, medical comorbidity, and clinical relevance.Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 69 (author reply e27–e28): e25-e26
- Meta-analysis of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in patients with depression and coronary heart disease.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 107: 972-979
- Antidepressant medication use and future risk of cardiovascular disease: The Scottish Health Survey.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 437-442
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Abnormal Heart Rhythms Associated with High Doses of Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide).Accessed November 7, 2011)
- Electrocardiographic QT interval and mortality: A meta-analysis.Epidemiology. 2011; 22: 660-670
- Differential behavioural and neurochemical outcomes from chronic paroxetine treatment in adolescent and adult rats: A model of adverse antidepressant effects in human adolescents.Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011; 14: 491-504
- Alteration of cardiac autonomic functions in patients with major depression: A study using heart rate variability measures.J Affect Disord. 2007; 100: 137-141
Published online: December 05, 2011
© 2012 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Are Antidepressants Good for the Soul but Bad for the Matter? Using Noninvasive Brain Stimulation to Detangle Depression/Antidepressants Effects on Heart Rate Variability and Cardiovascular RiskBiological PsychiatryVol. 71Issue 7
- PreviewHeart rate variability (HRV) is an electrocardiograph-based technique that assesses sympathovagal activity over the heartbeat. Lower HRV (i.e., low power in the low frequency of the power spectral analysis) has been associated with an increased risk for myocardial infarction (1) and other cardiovascular conditions and thus is a biomarker for cardiac illness. Two articles recently published in Biological Psychiatry showed that lower HRV is observed in major depressive disorder (MDD). However, whereas the meta-analysis of Kemp et al.