The study by Escobar et al. (
1) in this issue shows that exposure of the pregnant rat dam at day 19 of gestation to a bacterial endotoxin, a manipulation used to model maternal immune activation (MIA), leads to abnormal postnatal development of synaptic long-term depression (LTD) in the CA3-CA1 hippocampal circuit in the offspring. The form of LTD they examined is induced by low-frequency stimulation of the glutamatergic efferents from CA3, which synapse extensively onto the dendrites of the CA1 projection neurons.
- Escobar M.
- Crouzin N.
- Cavalier M.
- Quentin J.
- Roussel J.
- Lanté F.
- et al.
Early, time-dependent disturbances of hippocampal synaptic transmission and plasticity after in utero immune challenge.
Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 70: 992-999
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Early, time-dependent disturbances of hippocampal synaptic transmission and plasticity after in utero immune challenge.Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 70: 992-999
- Anatomical organization of the parahippocampal-hippocampal network.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000; 911: 1-24
- Prenatal infection and schizophrenia: a review of epidemiologic and translational studies.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 261-280
- Prenatal famine and adult health.Annu Rev Public Health. 2011; 32: 237-262
- Oxidative stress in developmental origins of disease: teratogenesis, neurodevelopmental deficits, and cancer.Toxicol Sci. 2009; 108: 4-18
- Effects of excessive glucocorticoid receptor stimulation during early gestation on psychomotor and social behavior in the rat.Dev Psychobiol. 2010; 52: 121-132
- Glucocorticoids, developmental 'programming' and the risk of affective dysfunction.Prog Brain Res. 2008; 167: 17-34
- The time of prenatal immune challenge determines the specificity of inflammation-mediated brain and behavioral pathology.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 4752-4762
- NMDA receptor antagonist effects, cortical glutamatergic function, and schizophrenia: toward a paradigm shift in medication development.Psychopharmacology. 2003; 169: 215-233
- Glutamate receptors and transporters in the hippocampus in schizophrenia.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003; 1003: 94-101
- Neuroimaging studies of the hippocampus in schizophrenia.Hippocampus. 2001; 11: 520-528
- Differential targeting of the CA1 subfield of the hippocampal formation by schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 938-946
Accepted: October 3, 2011
Received: October 3, 2011
© 2011 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.