Schizophrenia is a chronic and devastating brain disorder characterized by hallucinations and delusions, symptoms reflecting impaired reality testing. Although animal models have captured negative symptoms and cognitive deficits associated with schizophrenia, none have addressed these defining, positive symptoms.
Here we tested the performance of adults given neonatal ventral hippocampal lesions (NVHL), a neurodevelopmental model of schizophrenia, in two taste aversion procedures.
Normal and NVHL rats formed aversions to a palatable food when the food was directly paired with nausea, but only NVHL rats formed a food aversion when the cue predicting that food was paired with nausea. The failure of NVHL rats to discriminate fully real from imagined food parallels the failure of people with schizophrenia to differentiate internal thoughts and beliefs from reality.
These results further validate the NVHL model of schizophrenia and provide a means to assess impaired reality testing in variety of animal models.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Kaplan and Sadock's Synpopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences Clinical Psychiatry.(7th ed.). Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1994
- Promise and pitfalls of animal models of schizophrenia.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2010; 12: 327-334
- Neonatal excitotoxic hippocampal damage in rats causes post-pubertal changes in prepulse inhibition of startle and its disruption by apomorphine.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1995; 122: 35-43
- Postpubertal emergence of hyperresponsiveness to stress and to amphetamine after neonatal excitotoxic hippocampal damage: A potential animal model of schizophrenia.Neuropsychopharmacology. 1993; 9: 67-75
- Motivational responses to natural and drug rewards in rats with neonatal ventral hippocampal lesions: An animal model of dual diagnosis schizophrenia.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002; 27: 889-905
- Neonatal lesions of the rat ventral hippocampus result in hyperlocomotion and deficits in social behaviour in adulthood.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1997; 132: 303-310
- Genetic mouse models of schizophrenia: From hypothesis-based to susceptibility gene-based models.Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 59: 1180-1188
- The neonatal ventral hippocampal lesion as a heuristic neurodevelopmental model of schizophrenia.Behav Brain Res. 2009; 204: 295-305
- Toward a model of impaired reality testing in rats.Schizophr Bull. 2009; 35: 664-667
- Neurotoxic lesions of basolateral, but not central, amygdala interfere with pavlovian second-order conditioning and reinforcer devaluation effects.J Neurosci. 1996; 16: 5256-5265
- Hedonic and nucleus accumbens neural responses to a natural reward are regulated by aversive conditioning.Learn Memory. 2010; 17: 539-546
- Nucleus accumbens core and shell are necessary for reinforcer devaluation effects on pavlovian conditioned responding.Front Integr Neurosci. 2010; 4: 126
- Acquisition of a spatial conditioned place preference is impaired by amygdala lesions and improved by fornix lesions.Behav Brain Res. 1993; 55: 269-281
- Fornix lesions can facilitate acquisition of the transverse patterning task: A challenge for “configural” theories of hippocampal function.J Neurosci. 1998; 18: 1622-1631
- Amount of training effects in representation-mediated food aversion learning: no evidence of a role for associability changes.Learn Behav. 2005; 33: 464-478
- Lesions of the basolateral amygdala disrupt conditioning based on the retrieved representations of motivationally significant events.J Neurosci. 2006; 26: 8305-8309
- Prefrontal control of fear: more than just extinction.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2010; 20: 231-235
- A neonatal ventral hippocampal lesion causes functional deficits in adult prefrontal cortical interneurons.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 12691-12699
- More is less: A disinhibited prefrontal cortex impairs cognitive flexibility.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 17102-17110
- Medial frontal hyperactivity in reality distortion.Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 61: 1171-1178
- Amygdalofrontal functional disconnectivity and aggression in schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 2010; 36: 1020-1028
- A systems approach to prefrontal-limbic dysregulation in schizophrenia.Neuropsychobiology. 2008; 57: 206-216
Published online: July 28, 2011
Accepted: June 16, 2011
Received in revised form: June 10, 2011
Received: April 11, 2011
© 2011 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.