The cerebellum is a brain region recognized primarily in the coordination of movement and related accessory motor functions. In addition, emerging evidence implicates the cerebellum in cognitive processes and suggests that this brain region might be subject to experience-dependent changes in structure. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate the role of early environmental deprivation in the maturation of the cerebellum and aspects of cognitive development.
Structural magnetic resonance imaging volumes of 12 cerebellar sub-regions from 31 previously neglected and 30 typically developing children were compared with subjects' corresponding neuropsychological test scores.
Neglected children had smaller volume of the superior-posterior cerebellar lobes. Moreover, superior-posterior lobe volume was found to mediate neuropsychological test performance differences between groups, with larger volumes yielding better outcomes on tests of memory and planning.
These data support the importance of experience-dependent changes in cerebellar structure and highlight the role of the cerebellum in higher cognitive functions.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Close interrelation of motor development and cognitive development and of the cerebellum and prefrontal cortex.Child Dev. 2000; 71: 44-56
- Movement and thought: Identical control mechanisms by the cerebellum.Trends Neurosci. 1993; 16 (discussion: 453–454): 448-450
- How Does the Cerebellum Facilitate Thought?.Oxford University Press, Oxford1993
- Activation of a cerebellar output nucleus during cognitive processing.Science. 1994; 265: 949-951
- The human cerebro-cerebellar system: Its computing, cognitive, and language skills.Behav Brain Res. 1991; 44: 113-128
- Anatomical evidence for cerebellar and basal ganglia involvement in higher cognitive function.Science. 1994; 266: 458-461
- An emerging concept.Arch Neurol. 1991; 48: 1178-1187
- The cerebellum contributes to higher functions during development: Evidence from a series of children surgically treated for posterior fossa tumours.Brain. 2000; 123: 1051-1061
- The neuropsychiatry of the cerebellum—insights from the clinic.Cerebellum. 2007; 6: 254-267
- Disorders of cognitive and affective development in cerebellar malformations.Brain. 2007; 130: 2646-2660
- The cerebellar cognitive affective syndrome.Brain. 1998; 121: 561-579
- Structural brain magnetic resonance imaging of pediatric twins.Hum Brain Mapp. 2007; 28: 474-481
- Comment: On functions of the “cerebellar circuit” in movement control.Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1981; 59: 776-778
- Physiology of motor control in man.Appl Neurophysiol. 1981; 44: 5-15
- Motor mechanisms of the CNS: Cerebrocerebellar interrelations.Annu Rev Physiol. 1969; 31: 451-498
- Cerebellar loops with motor cortex and prefrontal cortex of a nonhuman primate.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 8432-8444
- Rabies and the cerebellum: New methods for tracing circuits in the brain.J Neuropsychiatr Clin Neurosci. 2005; 17: 133-139
- Motor and nonmotor domains in the monkey dentate.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002; 978: 289-301
- An unfolded map of the cerebellar dentate nucleus and its projections to the cerebral cortex.J Neurophysiol. 2003; 89: 634-639
- Dentate output channels: Motor and cognitive components.Prog Brain Res. 1997; 114: 553-566
- Cerebellar projections to the prefrontal cortex of the primate.J Neurosci. 2001; 21: 700-712
- The cerebellum and emotional experience.Neuropsychologia. 2007; 45: 1331-1341
- Functional brain maps of Tower of London performance: A positron emission tomography and functional magnetic resonance imaging study.Neuroimage. 2003; 20: 1154-1161
- Cerebellar contributions to working memory.Neuroimage. 2007; 36: 943-954
- Involvement of the cerebellum in semantic discrimination: An fMRI study.Hum Brain Mapp. 2003; 18: 208-214
- An electrophysiological link between the cerebellum, cognition and emotion: Frontal theta EEG activity to single-pulse cerebellar TMS.Neuroimage. 2006; 33: 1227-1231
- Control of mental activities by internal models in the cerebellum.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008; 9: 304-313
- Basal ganglia and cerebellar inputs to “AIP”.Cereb Cortex. 2005; 15: 913-920
- The evolution of the corticocerebellar complex in primates: Anatomical connections predict patterns of correlated evolution.J Hum Evol. 2003; 44: 3-10
- Neurobiology of cerebellar evolution and development.in: Llinas R. Neurobiology of Cerebellar Evolution and Development: Proceedings of the First International Symposium of the Institute for Biomedical Research. American Medical Association/Education and Research Foundation, Chicago1969: 859-874
- Cerebellar volumes in pediatric maltreatment-related posttraumatic stress disorder.Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 60: 697-703
- International adoption: A health and developmental prospective.Semin Speech Lang. 2005; 26: 1-9
- Health of children adopted from the Former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.JAMA. 1997; 278: 922-924
- Sensory processing in the postinstitutionalized child.Am J Occup Ther. 1997; 51: 500-507
- Pre-placement screening in international adoption.Isr Med Assoc J. 2003; 5: 763-766
- Scholastic attainment following severe early institutional deprivation: A study of children adopted from Romania.J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2007; 35: 1063-1073
- Cognitive recovery in socially deprived young children: The Bucharest early intervention project.Science. 2007; 318: 1937-1940
- Emotional difficulties in early adolescence following severe early deprivation: Findings from the English and Romanian adoptees study.Dev Psychopathol. 2008; 20: 547-567
- Emotion understanding in postinstitutionalized Eastern European children.Dev Psychopathol. 2004; 16: 355-369
Wellcome Department of Cognitive Neurology Statistical Parametric Mapping: London, England.
- Automatic “pipeline” analysis of 3-D MRI data for clinical trials: Application to multiple sclerosis.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2002; 21: 1280-1291
- Automatic 3-D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation.Hum Brain Mapp. 1995; 3: 190-208
- Automatic 3D intersubject registration of MR volumetric data in standardized Talairach space.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1994; 18: 192-205
- Structural MR image processing using the BRAINS2 toolbox.Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2002; 26: 251-264
- Manual and semiautomated measurement of cerebellar subregions on MR images.Neuroimage. 2002; 17: 61-76
- Cerebellar development and clinical outcome in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 647-655
- The human cerebellum, cerebellar connections, and cerebellar cortex.in: Jansen J. The Comparative Anatomy and Histology of the Cerebellum. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, Minnesota1972: 203-208
Pollak SD, Nelson CA, Schlaak MF, Roeber BJ, Wewerka SS, Wiik KL, et al. (in press): Neurodevelopmental effects of early deprivation in post-institutionalized children. Child Dev.
- A comparison of methods to test mediation and other intervening variable effects.Psychol Methods. 2002; 7: 83-104
- Functional topography in the human cerebellum: A meta-analysis of neuroimaging studies.Neuroimage. 2009; 44: 489-501
- Functional anatomy of long-term memory.J Clin Neurophysiol. 1997; 14: 294-310
- Memory systems in the brain and localization of a memory.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996; 93: 13438-13444
- In search of memory traces.Annu Rev Psychol. 2005; 56: 1-23
Published online: August 06, 2009
Accepted: June 22, 2009
Received in revised form: June 20, 2009
Received: March 22, 2009
© 2009 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.