A 17-year-old Belgian female patient, without a history of medical or psychiatric problems, had been living in Ireland since early September 2007. Around mid-November, her teacher noticed some excitability, agitation, euphoria, and even aggressiveness. She was eventually admitted to a local psychiatric hospital on November 24, 2007, for treatment of acute hypomania. There was no history of drug abuse. Brain computerized tomography was normal. She was treated with haloperidol and aripiprazole, 10 mg/day. She was then transferred to Belgium 3 days later.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Detection of oligoclonal free kappa chains in the absence of oligoclonal IgG in the CSF of patients with suspected multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004; 75: 308-310
- Interactive effects of subanesthetic ketamine and subhypnotic lorazepam in humans.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1998; 135: 213-229
- Paraneoplastic anti-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor encephalitis associated with ovarian teratoma.Ann Neurol. 2007; 61: 25-36
- Anti-NMDA-receptor encephalitis: Case series and analysis of the effects of antibodies.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 1091-1098
- Neurological response to early removal of ovarian teratoma in anti-NMDAR encephalitis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 324-326
- Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis in Japan: Long-term outcome without tumor removal.Neurology. 2008; 70: 504-511
- A patient with encephalitis associated with NMDA receptor antibodies.Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2007; 3: 291-296
Published online: June 18, 2009
© 2009 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.