The hippocampus (HC) is smaller in patients with recurrent major depressive disorder (MDD), but few longitudinal studies have examined whether volume is associated with clinically meaningful outcomes such as response to treatment.
We compared regional (head and body/tail) HC volumes in 46 patients with MDD, 14 of whom remitted after 8 weeks of first treatment to HC volumes of 32 patients who were not in remission after 8 weeks.
Patients who remitted had larger pretreatment hippocampal body/tail volumes bilaterally compared with those who were not in remission at 8 weeks. This difference was not apparent in either the right or left hippocampal head.
These findings extend a small number of previous reports, suggesting that regional brain volumes might be associated with rate and extent of clinical response to antidepressant medication.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lower hippocampal volume in patients suffering from depression: A meta-analysis.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 598-607
- Hippocampal volume and depression: A meta-analysis of MRI studies.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 1957-1966
McKinnon MC, Yucel K, Nazarov A, MacQueen G (in press). A meta-analysis examining clinical predictors of hippocampal volume in patients with major depressive disorder.
- Hippocampal volume and antidepressant response in geriatric depression.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002; 17: 519-525
- Hippocampal volume in primary unipolar major depression: A magnetic resonance imaging study.Biol Psychiatry. 2000; 47: 1087-1090
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV-TR Axis 1 Disorders- Research Version, Nonpatient Edition ed.Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York2001
- A rating scale for depression.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-62
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.4th ed. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1994
- Clinical guidelines for the treatment of depressive disorders.Can J Psychiatry. 2001; 46: 38S-58S
- Conceptualization and rationale for consensus definitions of terms in major depressive disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991; 48: 851-855
- Bilateral hippocampal volume increase in patients with bipolar disorder and short-term lithium treatment.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008; 33: 361-367
- MR measurements of the hippocampus for lateralization of temporal lobe epilepsy: Value of measurements of the body vs the whole structure.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994; 163: 1453-1457
- Hippocampal volume and 2-year outcome in depression.Br J Psychiatry. 2008; 192: 472-473
- Hippocampal changes in patients with a first episode of major depression.Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 1112-1118
- Anatomical MRI study of hippocampus and amygdala in patients with current and remitted major depression.Psychiatry Res. 2004; 132: 141-147
- Regional metabolic effects of fluoxetine in major depression: Serial changes and relationship to clinical response.Biol Psychiatry. 2000; 48: 830-843
- Reduced hippocampal volume in unmedicated, remitted patients with major depression versus control subjects.Biol Psychiatry. 2005; 57: 935-937
- Hippocampal volumetrics in depression: The importance of the posterior tail.Hippocampus. 2007; 17: 1023-1027
- Adult hippocampal neurogenesis in depression.Nat Neurosci. 2007; 10: 1110-1115
- Altered brain activation pattern associated with drug-induced attenuation of enhanced depression-like behavior in rats bred for high anxiety.Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 61: 782-796
- Activation of post-synaptic 5-HT(1A) receptors in the dorsal hippocampus prevents learned helplessness development.Brain Res. 2003; 978: 177-184
- The effect of chronic selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor treatment on serotonin 1B receptor sensitivity and HPA axis activity.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2005; 29: 738-744
- 5-HT1A receptors in the dorsal hippocampus mediate the anxiogenic effect induced by the stimulation of 5-HT neurons in the median raphe nucleus.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008; 18: 286-294
- Brain imaging correlates of depressive symptom severity and predictors of symptom improvement after antidepressant treatment.Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 62: 407-414
- Depression: Perspectives from affective neuroscience.Annu Rev Psychol. 2002; 53: 545-574
Published online: August 26, 2008
Accepted: June 29, 2008
Received in revised form: June 9, 2008
Received: April 28, 2008
© 2008 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.