Obestatin is a recently identified ghrelin gene product that was reported to inhibit appetite and gastric motility in contrast to ghrelin. We investigated fasting obestatin and ghrelin levels in patients with obesity and anorexia nervosa.
Fasting plasma obestatin, acyl-ghrelin, desacyl-ghrelin, leptin, glucose serum adiponectin, and insulin were measured in 10 obese subjects, 11 restricting-type anorexics, and 11 control subjects.
Obese group had significantly lower levels of obestatin (p < .01), while anorexic group had significantly higher levels (p < .01). Obestatin was negatively correlated with body mass index (BMI) (r = −.74), glucose (r = −.56), insulin (r = −.55), leptin (r = −.66), and also with the homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-R) (r = −.49) and was positively correlated with acyl-ghrelin (r = .65) and desacyl-ghrelin (r = .60). No correlation was seen between obestatin and adiponectin, but the latter was negatively correlated with both acyl-ghrelin and desacyl-ghrelin. Desacyl-ghrelin to acyl-ghrelin ratio was significantly different between anorexic and control groups (p < .05), while no difference was seen between obese and control groups.
Both obestatin and ghrelin are increased in anorexic and decreased in obesity. We suggest that obestatin is a nutritional marker reflecting body adiposity and insulin resistance.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ghrelin: An orexigenic and somatotropic signal from the stomach.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2001; 2: 551-560
- Ghrelin is an appetite-stimulatory signal from stomach with structural resemblance to motilin.Gastroenterology. 2001; 120: 337-345
- Plasma ghrelin levels in lean and obese humans and the effect of glucose on ghrelin secretion.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87: 240-244
- Post-prandial decrease of circulating human ghrelin levels.J Endocrinol Invest. 2001; 24: RC19-RC21
- Postprandial ghrelin release in anorectic patients before and after weight gain.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005; 30: 577-581
- Obestatin, a peptide encoded by the ghrelin gene, opposes ghrelin's effects on food intake.Science. 2005; 310: 996-999
- The physiology and potential clinical applications of ghrelin, a novel peptide hormones.Mayo Clin Proc. 2006; 81: 653-660
- Obestatin partially affects ghrelin stimulation of food intake and growth hormone secretion in rodents.Endocrinology. 2007; 148: 1648-1653
- Lack of interaction between peripheral injection of CCK and obestatin in the regulation of gastric satiety signaling in rodents.Peptides. 2006; 27: 2811-2819
- Obestatin is not elevated or correlated with insulin in chidren with Prader-Willi syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 92: 229-234
- Incomplete restoration of ghrelin and PYY compared to insulin after food ingestion following weght gain in anorexia nervosa.J Psychiatr Res. 2007; 41: 814-820
- Low ghrelin concentration in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease are related to insulin resistance.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 5674-5679
- Plasma level of intact and degraded ghrelin and their responses to glucose infusion in anorexia nervosa.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 5707-5712
- Lysophospholipaseμidentified as a ghrelin desacylation enzyme in rat stomach.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004; 325: 1487-1494
- The relationship between active ghrelin and human obesity involves alterations in resting energy expenditure.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 936-939
- Circulating ghrelin levels are decreased in human obesity.Diabetes. 2001; 50: 707-709
- Decreased circulating levels of active ghrelin are associated with increased oxidative stress in obese subjects.Eur J Endocrinol. 2005; 153: 403-407
- Circulating level of active ghrelin is associated with abdominal adiposity, hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Eur J Endocrinol. 2004; 151: 573-577
- Plasma levels of active form of ghrelin during oral glucose torelance test in patients with anorexia nervosa.Eur J Endocrinol. 2003; 149: R1-R3
- Stomach regulates energy balance via acylated ghrelin and desacyl ghrelin.Gut. 2005; 54: 18-24
- Active ghrelin levels and active to total ghrelin ratio in cancer-induced cachexia.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 2920-2926
Published online: October 08, 2007
Accepted: August 9, 2007
Received in revised form: August 7, 2007
Received: April 11, 2007
© 2008 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.