The anterior limb of the internal capsule (ALIC), connecting cortical and subcortical structures, is involved in functional important circuits. To detect volumetric changes in ALIC, including the influence of genetic factors, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study of families affected with schizophrenia was performed.
The study sample comprised 22 family members with schizophrenia (FM-SZ), 34 family members without schizophrenia (FM-NSZ), and 43 control subjects. In addition to manual tracing of ALIC, subjects underwent proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in the left prefrontal cortex, psychopathological rating, and neuropsychological assessment of frontal lobe function.
Compared with controls, a significant reduction of right ALIC volume was seen in all family members (12%–16% reduction, p < .01) and a reduction of left ALIC volume in FM-NSZ (10% reduction, p = .028) was also observed. Both groups of family members showed a bilateral reduction in maximal cross sectional area of the ALIC. FM-SZ performed significantly worse on neurocognitive measures (Subject Ordered Pointing Task [SOPT] and Wisconsin Card Sorting Test), and performance correlated negatively with the ALIC volume (SOPT, r = −.6, p = .03).
A reduced volume of ALIC in affected families supports the hypothesis of disturbed frontothalamic connectivity in schizophrenia and demonstrates functional relevance by an association with reduced neurocognitive performance.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Schizophrenia: the fundamental questions.Brain Res Rev. 2000; 31: 106-112
- Meta-analysis of regional brain volumes in schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 16-25
- A review of MRI findings in schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2001; 49: 1-52
- Frontal and temporal lobe brain volumes in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1995; 52: 1061-1070
- White matter changes in schizophrenia: Evidence for myelin-related dysfunction.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 443-456
- Carpenter’s Human Neuroanatomy.in: 9th ed. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1996: 635-645
- A proposed mechanism of emotion.Arch Neurol Psychiatry. 1937; 38: 725-743
- Anatomical bias of the limbic system concept.Arch Neurol. 1971; 24: 17-21
- Schizophrenia and cognitive dysmetria: A positron emission tomography study of dysfunctional prefrontal–thalamic–cerebellar circuitry.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996; 93: 9985-9990
- Positive and negative symptoms in families with schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 1993; 11: 9-19
- A classification of hand preference by association analysis.Br J Psychol. 1970; 61: 303-321
- The Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 1987; 13: 261-276
- Mini-Mental State.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Mehrfachwahl-Wortschatz-Intelligenztest.Straube, Erlangen1977
Wittchen HU, Schramm E, Zaudig M, Unland H (1991): Strukturiertes Klinisches Interview für DSM-III-R. Eine deutschsprachige, erweiterte Bearbeitung der amerikanischen. Originalversion der SCID von RL Spitzer, JB Williams, M Gibbon, und MB First. Weinheim: Belz.
- Obstetric complications as antecedents of schizophrenia: Empirical effects of using different obstetric complication scales.J Psychiatr Res. 1994; 28: 519-530
- Wisconsin Card Sorting Test Manual—Revised and expanded.Psychological Assessment Resources, Lutz, FL1993
- Deficits on subject-ordered tasks after frontal- and temporal-lobe lesions in man.Neuropsychologia. 1982; 20: 249-262
- Wisconsin Card Sorting revisited: Distinct neural circuits participating in different stages of the task identified by event-related functional magnetic resonance imaging.J Neurosci. 2001; 21: 7733-7741
- Decreased frontal lobe ratio of N-acetyl aspartate to choline in familial schizophrenia: A proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy study.Neurosci Lett. 2000; 289: 147-151
- Multimodal image coregistration and partitioning—a unified framework.Neuroimage. 1997; 6: 209-217
- Voxel-based morphometry—the methods.Neuroimage. 2000; 11: 805-821
- Intraclass correlations: Uses in assessing rater reliability.Psychol Bull. 1979; 86: 420-428
- SPSS 10.0 Guide to Data Analysis.Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ2000
- Cerebral gray and white matter reductions and clinical correlates in patients with early onset schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2001; 50: 19-26
- Brain abnormalities in early-onset schizophrenia spectrum disorder observed with statistical parametric mapping of structural magnetic resonance images.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 1475-1484
- Structural abnormalities in frontal, temporal, and limbic regions and interconnecting white matter tracts in schizophrenic patients with prominent negative symptoms.Am J Psychiatry. 2001; 158: 234-243
- Focal white matter density changes in schizophrenia: reduced inter-hemispheric connectivity.Neuroimage. 2004; 21: 27-35
- Brain morphology and schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992; 49: 921-926
- Meta-analysis of corpus callosum size in schizophrenia.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1995; 58: 457-461
- Structural evaluation of the prefrontal cortex in schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1998; 155: 1049-1055
- Structural brain abnormalities in patients with schizophrenia and their healthy siblings.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 416-421
- Adhesio interthalamica in male patients with schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 823-825
- Obstetric complications and schizophrenia: Historical and meta-analytic review.Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 1080-1092
- Influence of genetic loading, obstetric complications and premorbid adjustment on brain morphology in schizophrenia: A MRI study.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2003; 253: 92-99
- Decreased volume and increased asymmetry of the anterior limb of the internal capsule in patients with schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 54: 427-436
- Gray and white matter volume abnormalities in monozygotic and same-gender dizygotic twins discordant for schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 2004; 55: 126-130
- Inferior frontal white matter anisotropy and negative symptoms of schizophrenia: A diffusion tensor imaging study.Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 572-574
- Cognitive performance in schizophrenia: Relationship to regional brain volumes and psychiatric symptoms.Psychiatry Res. 2002; 116: 1-23
- Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H-MRS) in schizophrenic subjects and normal controls.Psychiatry Res. 2001; 106: 161-170
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy and schizophrenia: What have we learnt?.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2000; 34: 14-25
- Change in basal ganglia volume over 2 years in patients with schizophrenia: Typical versus atypical neuroleptics.Am J Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 1200-1204
- DTI and MTR abnormalities in schizophrenia: Analysis of white matter integrity.Neuroimage. 2005; 26: 1109-1118
- The disconnection hypothesis.Schizophr Res. 1998; 30: 115-125
Published online: June 18, 2007
Accepted: March 27, 2007
Received in revised form: March 9, 2007
Received: August 24, 2006
© 2008 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.