In the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder, we showed that valproate is associated with new-onset menstrual-cycle irregularities and hyperandrogenism in 10.5% of 86 women. We now determine whether polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) features reverse on valproate discontinutation.
Women with valproate-associated PCOS and those at risk for PCOS (valproate use ≤6 months) were re-evaluated for PCOS.
Follow-up (mean 17 months) assessments were completed in 14 women (5 with treatment-emergent PCOS, 9 on valproate ≤6-month). Of seven women who developed valproate-associated PCOS, PCOS reproductive features remitted in three of four discontinuing valproate and persisted in all 3 continuing valproate. Menstrual-cycle irregularities improved among valproate-discontinuers whose PCOS features remitted (p = 0.01). There was a trend toward lower serum testosterone (p = 0.06). Body-weight and polycystic ovarian morphology did not change.
In the first longitudinal bipolar-disorder study of valproate-associated PCOS, most valproate-discontinuers had improved reproductive features of PCOS despite static body-weight.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Polycystic ovarian morphology with regular ovulatory cycles: Insights into the pathophysiology of polycystic ovarian syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 4343-4350
- Long term follow-up of patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome after laparoscopic ovarian drilling: Clinical outcome.Hum Reprod. 2002; 17: 2035-2042
- A prospective study of the prevalence of the polycystic ovary syndrome in unselected Caucasian women from Spain.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 2434-2438
- Ultrasound assessment of the polycystic ovary: International consensus definitions.Hum Reprod Update. 2003; 9: 505-514
- Antipsychotic-induced weight gain and metabolic abnormalities: Implications for increased mortality in patients with schizophrenia.J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65 (quiz 19-20.): 4-18
- How common are polycystic ovaries in normal women and what is their significance for the fertility of the population?.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1992; 37: 127-134
- A survey of the polycystic ovary syndrome in the Greek island of Lesbos: Hormonal and metabolic profile.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 4006-4011
- Clinical assessment of body hair growth in women.J Clin Endocrinol. 1961; 21: 1440
- Polycystic ovary syndrome and endometrial carcinoma.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1810-1812
- Valproate, lamotrigine, and insulin-mediated risks in women with epilepsy.Ann Neurol. 1998; 43: 446-451
- Valproate is associated with new-onset oligoamenorrhea with hyperandrogenism in women with bipolar disorder.Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 59: 1078-1086
- Prevalence of the polycystic ovary syndrome in unselected black and white women of the southeastern United States: A prospective study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998; 83: 3078-3082
- Prevalence and predictors of risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance in polycystic ovary syndrome: A prospective, controlled study in 254 affected women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 165-169
- Homeostasis model assessment: Insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Long-term reproductive endocrine health in young women with epilepsy during puberty.Neurology. 2004; 62: 445-450
- Higher androgens and weight gain with valproate compared with lamotrigine for epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2003; 54: 189-199
- Valproate potentiates androgen biosynthesis in human ovarian theca cells.Endocrinology. 2004; 145: 799-808
- Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2004; 81: 19-25
- Determinants of abnormal gonadotropin secretion in clinically defined women with polycystic ovary syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 82: 2248-2256
- A critical evaluation of simple methods for the estimation of free testosterone in serum.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 3666-3672
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: A risk for coronary artery disease?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 186: 35-43
- Diagnostic criteria for polycystic ovary syndrome: Towards a rational approach.in: Dunaif A. Givens J.R. Haseltine F.P. Merriam G.R. Current Issues in Endocrinology and Metabolism: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Blackwell, Boston1992: 377-384
Published online: September 04, 2006
Accepted: May 12, 2006
Received in revised form: May 10, 2006
Received: January 12, 2006
© 2006 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.