We are interested in identifying susceptibility genes that predispose subjects to attempted suicide.
We conducted a secondary analysis of genome-wide linkage data from 162 bipolar pedigrees that incorporated attempted suicide as a clinical covariate.
The strongest covariate-based linkage signal was seen on 2p12 at marker D2S1777. The logarithm of odds (LOD) score at marker D2S1777 rose from 1.56 to 3.82 after inclusion of the suicide covariate, resulting in significant chromosome-wide empirically derived p-values for the overall linkage finding (p = .01) and for the change in LOD score after the inclusion of the covariate (p = .02).
The finding on chromosome 2 replicates results from two previous studies of attempted suicide in pedigrees with alcohol dependence and in pedigrees with recurrent early-onset depression. Combined, these three studies provide compelling evidence for a locus influencing attempted suicide on 2p12.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A systematic review of association studies investigating genes coding for serotonin receptors and the serotonin transporter: II.Mol Psychiatry. 2003; 8: 646-653
- Family genetic studies, suicide, and suicidal behavior.Am J Med Genet. 2005; 133: 13-24
- Peripubertal suicide attempts in offspring of suicide attempters with siblings concordant for suicidal behavior.Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1486-1493
- Altered nociception, analgesia and aggression in mice lacking the receptor for substance P.Nature. 1998; 392: 394-397
- A diagnostic interview: The schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1978; 35: 837-844
- The search for genetic risk factors associated with suicidal behavior.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2004; 28: 70S-76S
- Meta-analysis of the association between tryptophan hydroxylase and suicidal behavior.Am J Med Genet. 2002; 114: 533-540
- Genetic dissection of complex traits: Guidelines for interpreting and reporting linkage results.Nat Genet. 1995; 11: 241-247
- Assessment of the effect of age at onset on linkage to bipolar disorder: Evidence on chromosomes 18p and 21q.Am J Hum Genet. 2005; 77: 545-555
- Do substance P and the NK1 receptor have a role in depression and anxiety?.Curr Pharm Des. 2005; 11: 1529-1547
- Diagnostic interview for genetic studies.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994; 51 (discussion 863–864): 849-859
- The amyloid precursor protein locus and very-late-onset Alzheimer disease.Am J Hum Genet. 2001; 69: 895-899
- Suicidal children grow up: Suicidal behavior and psychiatric disorders among relatives.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1994; 33: 1087-1097
- Linkage strategies for genetically complex traits.Am J Hum Genet. 1990; 46: 222-228
- Implication of SSAT by gene expression and genetic variation in suicide and major depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63: 35-48
- Research diagnostic criteria: Rationale and reliability.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1978; 35: 773-782
- Genome-wide linkage survey for genetic loci that affect the risk of suicide attempts in families with recurrent, early-onset, major depression.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2004; 129: 47-54
Published online: October 17, 2006
Accepted: May 23, 2006
Received in revised form: May 20, 2006
Received: March 16, 2006
© 2007 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.