A frequent polymorphism of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene (val66met) has been suggested to modulate hippocampal neuronal plasticity and has been associated with individual variations in emotional reactivity traits and episodic memory.
The hippocampal formation was outlined in high-resolution anatomical magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) data in a sample of 36 healthy volunteers and compared between individuals as a function of the presence of the met-BDNF allele. Both whole-brain volume corrected and uncorrected data were tested for effects of genotype, sex, and age.
The met-BDNF allele was associated with an 11% reduction in the volume of the hippocampal formation.
In spite of a relatively small sample size, the presence of the met-BDNF allele was found associated with a reduced volume of the hippocampal formation in healthy volunteers and may represent a vulnerability factor for the development of disease processes associated with the dysfunction of this brain region.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Relationship between prior course of illness and neuroanatomic structures in bipolar disorder.Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol. 2001; 14: 227-232
- Hippocampal volume measurement in older adults with bipolar disorder.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2004; 12: 613-620
- Amygdala and hippocampal volumes in adolescents and adults with bipolar disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 1201-1208
- MRI-based measurement of hippocampal volume in patients with combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 1995; 152: 973-981
- Variant brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) (Met66) alters the intracellular trafficking and activity-dependent secretion of wild-type BDNF in neurosecretory cells and cortical neurons.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 4401-4411
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is reduced in Alzheimer’s disease.Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1997; 49: 71-81
- Novel therapeutic approaches beyond the serotonin receptor.Biol Psychiatry. 1998; 44: 324-335
- Synaptic plasticity and mood disorders.Mol Psychiatry. 2002; 7: S29-S34
- A molecular and cellular theory of depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 597-606
- The BDNF val66met polymorphism affects activity-dependent secretion of BDNF and human memory and hippocampal function.Cell. 2003; 112: 257-269
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders. Biometric Research Department, New York Psychiatric Institute, New York1995
- Presynaptic modulation of synaptic transmission and plasticity by brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the developing hippocampus.J Neurosci. 1998; 18: 6830-6839
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor val66met polymorphism affects human memory-related hippocampal activity and predicts memory performance.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 6690-6694
- Region-specific neurotrophin imbalances in Alzheimer disease.Arch Neurol. 2000; 57: 846-851
- Modulation of hippocampal synaptic transmission and plasticity by neurotrophins.Prog Brain Res. 2000; 128: 231-241
- Corticosteroids and hippocampal plasticity.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1994; 746 (178–179): 134-144
- The brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene confers susceptibility to bipolar disorder.Am J Hum Genet. 2002; 71: 651-655
- The brain-derived neurotrophic factor val66met polymorphism and variation in human cortical morphology.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 10099-10102
- BDNF mRNA is decreased in the hippocampus of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.Neuron. 1991; 7: 695-702
- Downregulation of BDNF mRNA in the hippocampal dentate gyrus after re-exposure to cues previously associated with footshock.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002; 27: 133-142
- Requirement of hippocampal neurogenesis for the behavioral effects of antidepressants.Science. 2003; 301: 805-809
- Prolonged glucocorticoid exposure reduces hippocampal neuron number.J Neurosci. 1985; 5: 1222-1227
- A BDNF coding variant is associated with the NEO personality inventory domain neuroticism, a risk factor for depression.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2003; 28: 397-401
- Depression duration but not age predicts hippocampal volume loss in medically healthy women with recurrent major depression.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 5034-5043
- Hippocampal atrophy in recurrent major depression.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996; 93: 3908-3913
- Family-based association study of 76 candidate genes in bipolar disorder: BDNF is a potential risk locus. Brain-derived neutrophic factor.Mol Psychiatry. 2002; 7: 579-593
- Ventricular and periventricular structural volumes in first- versus multiple-episode bipolar disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 1841-1847
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor val66met polymorphism and volume of the hippocampal formation.Mol Psychiatry. 2005; 10: 631-636
- Hippocampal volume and depression.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 1957-1966
Published online: January 30, 2006
Accepted: September 30, 2005
Received in revised form: August 22, 2005
Received: February 2, 2005
© 2006 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.