In food-restricted rats, leptin suppresses semistarvation-induced hyperactivity (SIH) and decreases exploratory behavior. Leptin ameliorates anxiety-related movement in ob/ob mice. In this study, we assessed the relationship between leptin and qualities of physical activity and restlessness in acute anorexia nervosa (AN).
Serum leptin, body mass index (BMI), % body fat, and self- and expert-ratings of qualities of physical activity and restlessness were assessed in 26 inpatients with acute AN. Accelerometry was also performed. Regression analyses were used to predict activity and restlessness using BMI, % body fat, and leptin levels as predictor variables.
Leptin levels significantly contributed to the prediction of all measures of activity and restlessness.
This is the first study linking hypoleptinemia in AN patients to subjective and objective measures of higher physical activity and motor and inner restlessness. Leptin may directly or indirectly (or both) influence behaviors and cognitions contributing to hyperactivity and motor restlessness.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Leptin treatment ameliorates anxiety in ob/ob obese mice.J Diab Compl. 2003; 17: 105-107
- Leptin decreases feeding and exploratory behavior via interactions with CCK-1 receptors in the rat.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2001; 40: 818-825
- Behavioral activation and lack of concern, core symptoms of anorexia nervosa?.Int J Eat Disord. 1998; 24: 381-393
- Role of leptin in energy-deprivation states.Lancet. 2005; 366: 74-85
- Activity-based anorexia in rats as a function of opportunity to run in an activity wheel.Nutr Behav. 1985; 2: 37-49
- Leptin suppresses semi-starvation induced hyperactivity in rats.Mol Psych. 2000; 5: 476-481
- Structured Interview for Anorexic and Bulimic disorders for DSM-IV and ICD-10.Int J Eat Disord. 1998; 24: 227-249
- The need to revise the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa.J Neural Transm. 2004; 111: 827-840
- Hyperactivity in patients with anorexia nervosa and in semistarved rats.Physiol Behav. 2003; 79: 25-37
- The contribution of anxiety and food restriction on physical activity levels in acute anorexia nervosa.Int J Eat Disord. 2004; 36: 163-171
- Elevated physical activity and low leptin levels co-occur in patients with anorexia nervosa.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 5169-5174
- Effect of fasting, refeeding, and dietary fat restriction on plasma leptin levels.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 82: 561-565
Published online: December 28, 2005
Accepted: November 7, 2005
Received in revised form: October 25, 2005
Received: June 16, 2005
© 2005 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.