DISC1 has been suggested as a causative gene for psychoses in a large Scottish family. We recently identified FEZ1 as an interacting partner for DISC1. To investigate the role of FEZ1 in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, case–control association analyses were conducted in Japanese cohorts.
We performed a mutation screen of the FEZ1 gene and detected 15 polymorphisms. Additional data on informative polymorphisms were obtained from public databases. Eight single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were analyzed in 119 bipolar disorder and 360 schizophrenic patients and age- and gender-matched control subjects. All genotypes were determined with the TaqMan assay, and selected samples were confirmed by sequencing.
The two adjacent polymorphisms displayed a nominally significant association with schizophrenia (IVS2+1587G>A, p = .014; 396T<A or Asp123Glu, p = .024). Homozygotes with the Glu123 allele were observed in only a small portion (2%) of schizophrenia patients but not in control subjects or bipolar patients. Conversely, no SNPs displayed allelic, genotypic, or haplotypic associations with bipolar disorder.
A modest association between FEZ1 and schizophrenia suggests that this gene and the DISC1-mediated molecular pathway might play roles in the development of schizophrenia, with FEZ1 affecting only a small subset of Japanese schizophrenia patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- GOLD-graphical overview of linkage disequilibrium.Bioinformatics. 2000; 16: 182-183
- Glycogen synthase kinase-3beta immunoreactivity is reduced in the prefrontal cortex in schizophrenia.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 20: 117-120
- The Caenorhabditis elegans gene unc-76 and its human homologs define a new gene family involved in axonal outgrowth and fasciculation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997; 94: 3414-3419
- Identification of polymorphisms within Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 and Disrupted in Schizophrenia 2 and an investigation of their association with schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder.Psychiatr Genet. 2001; 11: 71-78
- Unbiased application of the transmission/disequilibrium test to multilocus haplotypes.Am J Hum Genet. 2000; 66: 2009-2012
- Haplotype transmission analysis provides evidence of association for DISC1 to schizophrenia and suggests sex-dependent effects.Hum Mol Genet. 2003; 12: 3151-3159
- Genetic and expression analyses of FZD3 in Schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 2004; 56: 462-465
- Neuroleptics normalize increased release of interleukin-1b and tumor necrosis factor α from monocytes in schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2001; 50: 169-175
- Mammalian homologue of the Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76 protein involved in axonal outgrowth is a protein kinase C ζ-interacting protein.J Cell Biol. 1999; 144: 403-411
- Activation of IkappaB kinase beta by protein kinase C isoforms.Mol Cell Biol. 1999; 19: 2180-2188
- Genome scan meta-analysis of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, part II.Am J Hum Genet. 2003; 73: 34-48
- Schizophrenia as a disorder of neurodevelopment.Ann Rev Neurosci. 2002; 25: 409-432
- On measures of gametic disequilibrium.Genetics. 1988; 120: 849-852
- Disruption of two novel genes by a translocation co-segregating with schizophrenia.Hum Mol Genet. 2000; 9: 1415-1423
- Increased expression of Wnt-1 in schizophrenic brains.Schizophr Res. 1999; 38: 1-6
- Disrupted-In Schizophrenia 1, a candidate gene for schizophrenia, participates in neurite outgrowth.Mol Psychiatry. 2003; 8: 685-694
- Plasma levels of interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha in chronic schizophrenia.Psychiatry Res. 1997; 71: 11-17
- PKC zeta is a molecular switch in signal transduction of TNF-alpha, bifunctionally regulated by ceramide and arachidonic acid.EMBO J. 1995; 14: 1961-1969
- Nucleotide diversity and haplotype structure of the human angiotensin gene in two populations.Am J Hum Genet. 2002; 70: 108-123
- A differential role for interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in schizophrenia?.Schizophr Res. 1997; 26: 227-233
- TreeView.Comput Appl Biosci. 1996; 12: 357-358
- Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data.Genetics. 2000; 155: 945-959
- Genetic Power Calculator.Bioinformatics. 2003; 19: 149-150
- High-throughput genotyping with single nucleotide polymorphisms.Genome Res. 2001; 11: 1262-1268
- Sane genetics for schizophrenia.Nat Med. 2000; 6: 253-255
- The future of genetic studies of complex human diseases.Science. 1996; 273: 1516-1517
- Arlequin. Genetics and Biometry Lab, Department of Anthropology, University of Geneva, Geneva2000
- Cytokine serum levels, autologous mixed lymphocyte reaction and surface marker analysis in never medicated and chronically medicated schizophrenic patients.Schizophr Res. 2001; 47: 13-25
- CLUSTAL W.Nucleic Acids Res. 1994; 22: 4673-4680
- Association study of the human FZD3 locus with schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 54: 1298-1301
Accepted: August 26, 2004
Received in revised form: August 9, 2004
Received: February 19, 2004
© 2004 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.