The attempts to evaluate amygdaloid volumes using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in patients with schizophrenia have yielded highly divergent results.
Volumes of the amygdala were measured in 22 healthy participants and 18 neuroleptic-naive patients with first-episode schizophrenia, while controlling for intracranial area, gender, age, and handedness.
Persons with schizophrenia presented significantly lower amygdaloid volumes bilaterally. No significant correlations were found between the amygdaloid volumes and either the duration of the disease or the symptom severity.
Amygdaloid volume anomalies are already present in the early phases of schizophrenia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The role of the limbic system in experiential phenomena of temporal lobe epilepsy.Ann Neurol. 1982; 12: 129-144
- Temporolimbic volume reductions in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000; 57: 769-775
- The neuropathology of schizophrenia. A critical review of the data and their interpretation.Brain. 1999; 122: 593-624
- A volumetric MRI study of the entorhinal cortex in first-episode, neuroleptic-naïve schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 51: 1005-1007
- The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 1987; 13: 261-276
- A morphometric MRI study of the hippocampus in first-episode, neuroleptic-naïve schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2001; 50: 3-7
- Hippocampal volume reduction in schizophrenia as assessed by magnetic resonance imaging. A meta-analytic study.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1998; 55: 433-440
- A review of MRI findings in schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2001; 49: 1-52
- Abnormalities of the left temporal lobe and thought disorder in schizophrenia.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 604-612
- Temporal abnormalities in first-episode psychosis.Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 1232-1234
- Schizophrenia and the limbic system.Lancet. 1974; 2: 942-946
- Meta-analysis of regional brain volumes in schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 16-25
Accepted: May 30, 2003
Received in revised form: May 27, 2003
Received: February 3, 2003
© 2003 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.