Because researchers have reported that antidepressants increase the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in the rat hippocampus, we investigated whether serum BDNF levels may be used as a putative biological marker for major depressive disorders (MDD).
We measured serum BDNF in the following three groups: antidepressant-naive patients with MDD (n = 16), antidepressant-treated patients with MDD (n = 17), and normal control subjects (n = 50). Patients were evaluated using the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D). Serum BDNF was assayed with the sandwich ELISA method.
We found that serum BDNF was significantly lower in the antidepressant-naive group (mean, 17.6 ng/mL; SD, 9.6) than in the treated (mean, 30.6 ng/mL; SD, 12.3; p = .001) or in the control group (mean, 27.7 ng/mL; SD, 11.4; p = .002). There was a significant negative correlation (r = −.350, z = −2.003, p = .045) between serum BDNF and HAM-D scores in all patients. In a preliminary examination, reduced BDNF values of three drug-naive patients recovered to basal levels after antidepressant treatment.
Our study suggests that low BDNF levels may play a pivotal role in the pathophysiology of MDD and that antidepressants may increase BDNF in depressed patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neurotrophins and depression.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1999; 20: 59-61
- Practical Statistics for Medical Research. Chapman and Hall, London1991
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1994
- MRI-based measurement of hippocampal volume in patients with combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 1995; 152: 973-981
- Magnetic resonance imaging-based measurement of hippocampal volume in posttraumatic stress disorder related to childhood physical and sexual abuse–a preliminary report.Biol Psychiatry. 1997; 41: 23-32
- Increased hippocampal BDNF immunoreactivity in subjects treated with antidepressant medication.Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 50: 260-265
- A molecular and cellular theory of depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 597-606
- Molecular and cellular actions of chronic electroconvulsive seizures.J ECT. 1998; 14: 181-193
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is stored in human platelets and released by agonist stimulation.Thromb Haemost. 2002; 87: 728-734
- Neurotrophin secretion from hippocampal neurons evoked by long-term-potentiation-inducing electrical stimulation patterns.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002; 99: 6386-6391
- A rating scale for depression.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-62
- Decreased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in major depressed patients.Psychiatry Res. 2002; 109: 143-148
- Postnatal developmental profile of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in rat brain and platelets.Neurosci Lett. 2002; 328: 261-264
- Neurotrophic factors.Trends Neurosci. 1994; 17: 182-190
- Neurotrophins and brain insults.Trends Neurosci. 1994; 17: 490-496
- Stress-induced atrophy of apical dendrites of hippocampal CA3c neurons.Neuroscience. 1995; 69: 83-88
- Stress-induced atrophy of apical dendrites of hippocampal CA3c neurons.Neuroscience. 1995; 69: 89-98
- Chronic antidepressant treatment increases neurogenesis in adult rat hippocampus.J Neurosci. 2000; 20: 9104-9110
- Allostasis and allostatic load.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2000; 22: 108-124
- Neurobiology of depression.Neuron. 2002; 34: 13-25
- The brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene confers susceptibility to bipolar disorder.Am J Hum Genet. 2002; 71: 651-655
- Transport of brain-derived neurotrophic factor across the blood-brain barrier.Neuropharmacology. 1998; 37: 1553-1561
- Presence of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in brain and human and rat but not mouse serum detected by a sensitive and specific immunoassay.Brain Res. 1996; 709: 122-130
- Postmortem studies in mood disorders indicate altered numbers of neurons and glial cells.Biol Psychiatry. 2000; 48: 766-777
- Physical activity-antidepressant treatment combination.Behav Brain Res. 2001; 120: 87-95
- Glucocorticoids and hippocampal atrophy in neuropsychiatric disorders.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000; 57: 925-935
- Depression duration but not age predicts hippocampal volume loss in medically healthy women with recurrent major depression.J Neurosci. 1999; 19: 5034-5043
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor produces antidepressant effects in behavioral models of depression.J Neurosci. 2002; 22: 3251-3261
- Antidepressant-like effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1997; 56: 131-137
- Family-based association study of 76 candidate genes in bipolar disorder.Mol Psychiatry. 2002; 7: 579-593
- Stress and glucocorticoids affect the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3 mRNAs in the hippocampus.J Neurosci. 1995; 15: 1768-1777
- Functions of the neurotrophins during nervous system development.Cell. 1994; 77: 627-638
- Neurotrophins and neuronal plasticity.Science. 1995; 270: 593-598
- Quetiapine attenuates the immobilization stress-induced decrease of brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in rat hippocampus.Neurosci Lett. 2002; 321: 65-68
- Human platelets contain brain-derived neurotrophic factor.J Neurosci. 1990; 10: 3469-3478
Accepted: January 17, 2003
Received in revised form: January 7, 2003
Received: September 20, 2002
© 2003 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.