The dihydropyrimidinase-related protein (DRP) family, also called the collapsin response mediator protein, is implicated in the developmental process of the nervous system. Dysfunction of DRPs may result in neurodevelopmental abnormalities, which may be a factor in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. The expression of one member of DRP-2 in humans has been reported to be decreased in the brains of people with schizophrenia. In addition, the DRP-2 gene (Dihydropyrimidinaselike 2; DPYSL2) is located on chromosome 8p21, a region that has been implicated in schizophrenia in genetic linkage studies.
We investigated a genetic association between five polymorphisms of the DRP-2 gene and schizophrenia in the Japanese population.
The *2236T>C polymorphism in the 3′ untranslated region (3′UTR) exhibited significant differences with respect to the distribution of the genotype and allele in patients compared with control subjects. The frequency of the *2236C allele was significantly higher in control subjects than patients with schizophrenia (p = .0097) and paranoid-type schizophrenia (p = .0083).
Our results suggest that the *2236C allele in the 3′UTR of the DRP-2 gene, or an unknown mutation in linkage disequilibrium with this allele, may reduce the susceptibility to schizophrenia, especially the paranoid subtype.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Recommendations for a nomenclature system for human gene mutations.Hum Mutat. 1998; 11: 1-3
- Schizophrenia susceptibility loci on chromosomes 13q32 and 8p21.Nat Genet. 1998; 20: 70-73
- Identification and molecular characterization of unc-33-like phosphoprotein (Ulip), a putative mammalian homolog of the axonal guidance-associated unc-33 gene product.J Neurosci. 1996; 16: 688-701
- The genetic epidemiology of schizophrenia in a Finnish twin cohort. A population-based modeling study.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1998; 55: 67-74
- The 3′ untranslated region of messenger RNA.Nat Med. 2000; 6: 637-641
- Schizophrenia and the hippocampus.Schizophr Bull. 1987; 13: 577-587
- Post-transcriptional gene regulatory mechanisms in eukaryotes.J Endocrinol. 1998; 157: 361-371
- Diversity of cytoplasmic functions for the 3′untranslated region of eukaryotic transcripts.Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1995; 7: 386-392
- Nomenclature for the description of human sequence variations.Hum Genet. 2001; 109: 121-124
- A novel action of collapsin.J Neurobiol. 1997; 33: 316-328
- Collapsin-induced growth cone collapse mediated by an intracellular protein related to UNC-33.Nature. 1995; 376: 509-514
- Genomewide genetic linkage analysis confirms the presence of susceptibility loci for schizophrenia, on chromosomes 1q32.2,5q33.2, and 8p21–22 and provides support for linkage to schizophrenia, on chromosomes 11q23.3–24 and 20q12.1–11.23.Am J Hum Genet. 2001; 68: 661-673
- A novel gene family defined by human dihydropyrimidinase and three related proteins with differential tissue distribution.Gene. 1996; 180: 157-163
- Dihydropyrimidinase deficiency presenting in infancy with severe developmental delay.J Inherit Metab Dis. 1993; 16: 574-576
- Cytoplasmic regulation of mRNA function.Cell. 1993; 74: 9-14
- Disease-specific alterations in frontal cortex brain proteins in schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.Mol Psychiatry. 2000; 5: 142-149
- Post-meiotic expression of the mouse dihydropyrimidinase-related protein 3 (DRP-3) gene during spermiogenesis.Mol Reprod Dev. 1998; 51: 105-111
- Clinical features of schizophrenia and linkage to chromosomes 5q, 6p, 8p, and 10p in the Irish study of high-density schizophrenia families.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 402-408
- Isolation of 115 human chromosome 8-specific expressed-sequence tags by exon amplification.Genomics. 1995; 26: 245-253
- Expression of the dihydropyrimidinase related protein 2 (DRP-2) in Down syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease brain is downregulated at the mRNA and dysregulated at the protein level.J Neural Transm. 1999; 57: 161-177
- Collapsin.Cell. 1993; 75: 217-227
- A single dominant gene still cannot account for the transmission of schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989; 46: 478-480
- TOAD-64, a gene expressed early in neuronal differentiation in the rat, is related to unc-33, a C. elegans gene involved in axon outgrowth.J Neurosci. 1995; 15: 6757-6766
- Neurodevelopmental schizophrenia.Br J Psychiatry. 1994; 25: 6-12
- Schizophrenia—a genome scan targets chromosomes 3p and 8p as potential sites of susceptibility genes.Am J Med Genet. 1995; 60: 252-260
- Dihydropyrimidinase deficiency, a progressive neurological disorder?.Neuropediatrics. 1997; 28: 106-110
- Path analysis of qualitative data on pairs of relatives.Hum Hered. 1981; 31: 325-333
- Early manifestations and first-contact incidence of schizophrenia in different cultures.Psychol Med. 1986; 16: 909-928
Schneider S, Roessli D, Excoffier L (2000): Arlequin ver.2.000: A Software for Population Genetics Data Analysis. Geneva, Switzerland: Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, University of Geneva
- Monte-Carlo tests for association between disease and alleles at highly polymorphic loci.Ann Hum Genet. 1995; 59: 97-105
- Neurodevelopmental and neuroprogressive processes in schizophrenia. Antithetical or complementary, over a lifetime trajectory of disease?.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1998; 21: 123-149
- A family of rat CRMP genes is differentially expressed in the nervous system.J Neurosci. 1996; 16: 6197-6207
- Brain CRMP forms heterotetramers similar to liver dihydropyrimidinase.J Neurochem. 1997; 69: 2261-2269
- Implication of normal brain development for the pathogenesis of schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987; 44: 660-669
- Aberrant expression of dihydropyrimidinase related protein-2, −3 and −4 in fetal Down syndrome brain.J Neural Transm. 2001; 61: 95-107
- Collapsin response mediator protein-2 is associated with neurofibrillary tangles in Alzheimer’s disease.J Biol Chem. 1998; 273: 9761-9768
Accepted: September 4, 2002
Received in revised form: August 22, 2002
Received: July 3, 2002
© 2003 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.