We read with interest the article by
Placidi et al 2001on the relationship of monoamine metabolites in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) to aggressivity, suicidal behavior, and depression. The findings, however, require some comments.
- Placidi G.P.A.
- Oquendo M.A.
- Malone K.M.
- Huang Y.-Y.
- Ellis S.P.
- Mann J.J.
Aggressivity, suicide attempts, and depression Relationship to cerebrospinal fluid monoamine metabolite levels.
Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 50: 783-791
- 1.Using Student’s t test, the authors found significantly (p = .048) lower mean CSF 5-HIAA in high-lethality suicide attempters (85.5 ± 26.1 n = 20) compared with low-lethality suicide attempters (103.1 ± 39.5 n = 37). In the group of nonattempters (n = 34), the mean 5-HIAA concentration was 98.4 ± 35.2 pmol/mL. The small difference in the mean values between high-lethality attempters and nonattempters (−13.1%) was not reported to be significant. Thus, the small intergroup differences, partially significant by the t test, indicate a large overlapping of individual 5-HIAA values rather than an association of lower 5-HIAA concentration with a history of a higher lethality suicide attempt. The presentation of a 95% confidence interval for the mean values would be informative in this respect.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Monoamine metabolites in cerebrospinal fluid in relation to depressive illness, suicidal behaviour and personality.in: Angrist B. Burrows G.D. Lader M. Lingjaerde O. Sedvall G. Wheatley D. Recent Advances in Neuropsychopharmacology. Pergamon Press, Oxford1981: 257-271
- The influence of age, height and body weight on cerebrospinal fluid amine metabolites and tryptophan in women.Biol Psychiatry. 1981; 16: 753-762
- Cerebrospinal fluide monoamine metabolites in 114 healthy individuals 18–88 years of age.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 1993; 3: 55-61
- Substances related to 5-hydroxytryptamine in plasma and in lumbar and ventricular fluids of psychiatric patients.Acta Psychiatr Scand H61. 1980; : 13-17
- 5-HT and 5-HIAA in cerebrospinal fluid in depression.J Affec Disord. 1987; 12: 13-22
- Acid monoamine metabolites in human cerebrospinal fluid and their relations to age and sex.Neuropsychopharmacology. 1971; 10: 665-672
- A replication study of violent and nonviolent subjects.Biol Psychiatry. 1998; 15: 243-249
- Platelet serotonin levels in schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 1983; 18: 887-901
- Dopamine-related genes and their relationships to monoamine metabolites in CSF.Biol Psychiatry. 1996; 40: 1032-1043
- A promotor polymorphism in the monoamine oxidase A geneand its relationships to monoamine metabolite concentrations in CSF of healthy volunteers.J Psychiatr Res. 2000; 34: 239-244
- Low cerebrospinal fluid 5-hydroxyindolacetic acid concentration differentiates impulsive from nonimpulsive violent behavior.Life Sci. 1983; 33: 2609-2614
- Clinical and biochemical effects during treatment of depression with nortriptyline—the role of 10-hydroxynortriptyline.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1987; 42: 10-19
- Acid monoamine metabolites in the CSF of healthy controls punctured without predicting strict bedrest.J Psychiat Res. 1996; 30: 127-133
- Aggressivity, suicide attempts, and depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 50: 783-791
- Peripheral serotonin measures in prepubertal psychiatric patients and normal children.Biol Psychiary. 1998; 44: 568-577
- Correlation between aminergic metabolites simultaneously obtained from human CSF and brain.Life Sci. 1985; 37: 1279-1286
- Correlation between height of subjects and concentrations of monoamine metabolites in cerebrospinal fluid from psychotic men and women.Commun Psychopharmacol. 1978; 2: 177-183
© 2002 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.