Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
- Prevention and the clinical encounter.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1998; 68: 521-533
- Psychiatric disorder in adolescent offspring of parents with affective disorders in a non-referred sample.J Affect Disord. 1988; 15: 313-322
- Prediction of adolescent affective disorder.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996; 35: 279-288
- Resilient adolescents whose parents have serious affective and other psychiatric disorders.Am J Psychiatry. 1988; 145: 63-69
- Sustained change in parents receiving preventive interventions for families with depression.Am J Psychiatry. 1997; 154: 510-515
- Children of affectively ill parents.J Am Acad Child Adolescent Psychiatry. 1998; 31: 1134-1141
- Examination of preventive interventions for families with depression.Dev Psychopathol. 1997; 9: 109-130
- Examination of children’s responses to two preventive intervention strategies over time.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997; 36: 196-204
Berrueta-Clement JR, Schweinhart LJ, Barnett WS, Epstein AS, Weikart DP (1984): Changed lives: The effects of the Perry Preschool Program on youths through age 19 (High/Scope Educational Research Foundation, Monograph 8). Ypsilanti, MI: High/Scope Press.
- The ecology of human development. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA1979
- Poverty and psychiatric status.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991; 48: 470-474
- Surviving social assistance.Can Med Assoc J. 1998; 158: 888
- Risk and resilience in late adolescence.Child Adolesc Soc Work J. 1998; 15: 251-272
Carbonell DM, Reinherz HZ, Giaconia RM, Stashwick CK, Paradis AD, Beardslee WR (2000): Risks and resilience in young adulthood: Adolescent protective factors for major depression. Paper presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Conference, Boston, MA.
- Developmental psychopathology.Dev Rev. 1993; 13: 471-502
- The role of developmental theory in prevention and intervention.Dev Psychopathol. 1992; 4: 489-493
- Targeted prevention of unipolar depressive disorder in an at-risk sample of high school adolescents.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995; 34: 312-321
Clarke GN, Lewinsohn PM, Hops H (1990): Instructor’s manual for the adolescent coping with depression course, 1st ed. Portland, OR: Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research.
- Epidemiology and child psychiatry.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1989; 59: 279-283
- The social construction of the human brain.Am J Psychiatry. 1995; 152: 1563-1575
Garber J, Martin NC (in press): Negative cognitions in offspring of depressed parents: Mechanisms of risk. In: Goodman SH, Gotlib IH, editors. Children of depressed parents: Alternative pathways to risk for psychopathology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Cognitions, depressive symptoms, and development in adolescents.J Abnorm Psychol. 1993; 102: 47-57
- Adolescent offspring of endogenous unipolar depressive parents and of normal parents.J Affect Disord. 1991; 21: 185-198
- Longitudinal study of diagnoses in children of women with unipolar and bipolar affective disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1990; 47: 1112-11147
- Mother-child interaction quality as a partial mediator of the roles of maternal depressive symptomatology and socioeconomic status in the development of child behavior problems.Child Dev. 1995; 66: 739-753
Institute of Medicine (1994): Reducing risks for mental disorders: Frontiers for preventive intervention research. Washington, DC; National Academy Press.
- Prevention of depressive symptoms in school children.Behavior Research and Therapy. 1994; 32: 801-816
- Social-cognitive and cognitive correlates of depression in children.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. 1984; 12: 605-620
Kendler KS, Karkowski LW, Gardner CO (in press): Stressful life events and prior episodes in the aetiology of major depression in women: An evaluation of the ‘kindling’ hypothesis. Am J Psychiatry.
- Evaluating medical tests. Sage, Beverly Hills, CA1992
- Mental disorders among children with one parent with a lifetime diagnosis of major depression.in: Hodgins S. Lane C. Lapalme M. A critical review of the literature on children at risk for major affective disorders. Strategic Fund for Children’s Mental Health, Ottawa, Canada1994: 37-82
- Adolescent psychopathology.J Abnorm Psychol. 1994; 103: 302-315
Luthar SS, Cicchetti D, Becker B (2000): The construct of resilience: A critical evaluation and guidelines for future work. Child Dev. 71:543–562
- Genetic medicine and genetic psychiatry.AACAP News. 2000; 31: 16-17
- Prevention of depression with primary care patients.Am J Comm Psychol. 1995; 23: 199-222
- The prevention of mental disorders. National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD1993
- Priorities for prevention research at NIMH. National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD1998
- Predictors and consequences of childhood depressive symptoms.J Abnorm Psychol. 1992; 101: 405-422
- Can home visitation improve the health of women and children at environmental risk?.Pediatrics. 1990; 86: 108-116
- Transduction of psychosocial stress into neurobiology of recurrent affective disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 1992; 149: 999-1010
- Impact of a preventive job search intervention on the likelihood of depression among the unemployed.J Health Soc Behav. 1992; 33: 158-167
- Social information processing in aggressive and depressed children.Child Dev. 1992; 63: 1305-1320
- Young children of affectively ill parents.J Am Acad Child Adolescent Psychiatry. 1992; 31: 68-77
- General and specific childhood risk factors for depression and drug disorders by early adulthood.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000; 39: 223-231
- Major depression in the transition to adulthood.J Abnorm Psychol. 1999; 108: 500-510
- Coming of age in the 1990s.in: Cohen P. Slomkowski C. Robins L.N. Historical and geographical influences on psychopathology. Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ1999: 141-161
- The relationship of early risk and current mediators to depressive symptomatology in adolescence.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1989; 28: 942-947
- Protected or vulnerable.in: Rolf J.E. Masten A.S. Cicchetti D. Nuechterlein K.H. Weintraub S. Risk and protective factors in the development of psychopathology. Cambridge University Press, New York1990: 384-404
- Dyadic play behaviors of children of well and depressed mothers.Dev Psychopathol. 1991; 3: 243-251
- Toward an interpersonal life-stress model of depression.Dev Psychopathol. 2000; 12: 215-234
- Commentary.Dev Psychol. 1990; 26: 60-67
Rutter M, Quinton D (1977): Psychiatric disorder: Ecological factors and concepts of causation. In: McGurk H, editor. Ecological factors in human development. Amsterdam: North-Holland pp 173–187.
- Family and social influences on the development of child competence.in: Lewis M. Feiring C. Families, risk and competence. Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ1998: 161-185
- Reproductive risk and the continuum of caretaking casualty.in: Horowitz F.D. Hetherington M. Scarr-Salopatek S. Review of child development research. University of Chicago Press, Chicago1975: 187-244 (vol. 4)
- Can preschool programs help prevent delinquency?.in: Wilson J.Q. Loury G.C. From children to citizens Families, schools, and delinquency prevention. Springer-Verlag, New York1987: 13-53
- Social and environmental predictors of maternal depression in current and recent welfare recipients.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2000; 70: 510-522
Silberg J, Rutter M (in press): Nature-nurture interplay in the risks associated with parental depression. In: Goodman SH, Gotlib IH, editors. Children of depressed parents: Alternative pathways to risk for psychopathology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Genetic epidemiology of major depression.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 1552-1562
- Impact of the JOBS intervention on unemployed workers varying in risk for depression.Am J Community Psychol. 1995; 23: 39-74
- Incidence of psychiatric disorder in offspring at high and low risk for depression.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1992; 31: 640-648
- Children of depressed parents.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987; 44: 847-853
- Offspring of depressed parents.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 932-940
- The children of divorce parenting intervention.Am J Community Psychol. 1993; 21: 293-331
- Prevention as a cumulative protection.Psychol Bull. 1994; 115: 28-54