Background: Olanzapine is temporally associated, in a number of patients with schizophrenia, with weight gain. H2 antagonists, like nizatidine, have been shown to control appetite in overweight patients.
Methods: A patient with olanzapine temporally associated weight gain was treated with nizatidine as “add-on” therapy.
Results: Nizatidine treatment was associated with good control and subsequent reduction of weight after 4 to 5 weeks of therapy in a patient with repetitive episodes of weight gain during olanzapine treatment. Olanzapine was otherwise well tolerated and effective in controlling psychopathology.
Conclusions: H2 antagonist treatment with olanzapine may be a valid medical strategy in preventing and/or reducing weight gain in patients with schizophrenia. Controlled studies are recommended to confirm this observation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Antiobesity-effect of cimetidine suspension? Testing for success of blinding in a randomized cross-over trial.Acta Physiol Scand. 1992; 146: 60
- Predictors of weight gain during olanzapine treatment.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 1998; 8: S220
- Effect of long-term olanzapine treatment on weight change in schizophrenia.Schizophr Res. 2000; 41: 195-196
- Manipulation of central nervous system histamine or histaminergic receptors (H1) affects food intake in rats.J Nutr. 1994; 124: 1029-1036
- Serotonergic control of the organization of feeding and satiety.Behav Brain Res. 1996; 73: 37-42
- Effect of cimetidine on weight gain in rats.Indian J Med Sci. 1995; 49: 257-260
- Cimetidine suspension reduces appetite and overweight in dieting subjects.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1992; 27: 70
- Effect of cimetidine suspension on appetite and weight in overweight subjects.Br Med J. 1993; 306: 1091-1093
- Cimetidine reduces weight and improves metabolic control in type II diabetes mellitus.Diabetes. 1996; 45: 122A
- Cimetidine reduces weight and improves metabolic control in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998; 22: 1041-1045
- Eating disorder and epilepsy in mice lacking 5-HT52C serotonin receptors.Nature. 1995; 374: 542-546
- Olanzapine versus haloperidol in the treatment of schizophrenia and schizoaffective and schizophreniform disorders.Am J Psychiatry. 1997; 154: 457-465
- Novel antipsychotics.J Clin Psychiatry. 1999; 60: 358-363
Accepted: March 3, 2000
Received in revised form: February 29, 2000
Received: October 22, 1999
© 2000 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.