This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Family studies and epidemiologic data in autism show the involvement of genetic factors in the etiology of this syndrome. The frequent association of X chromosome with mental retardation and behavior disturbances raises the question of its implication in the etiology of autism. Several markers of X chromosome were tested in autistic and control populations by association study. The autistic population was submitted to an extensive clinical examination. For the DXS287 marker, χ2 analysis showed a different allele distribution between control and patient groups. This difference was enhanced when children with the most severe autistic behaviors and the least serious cognitive disorders were selected for statistical comparison. To our knowledge, this is the first association study described using markers of X chromosome in infantile autism. These preliminary results encourage our research on this chromosome, which could be considered as a significant genetic component of the multifactorial etiology of autism.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intérêt des évaluations psychologiques dans les troubles graves du développement.Neuropsychiatr Enfance Adolesc. 1986; 34: 63-91
- Blind rating of early symptoms of autism based upon family home movies.J Am Acad Child Adolesc. 1993; 32: 617-626
- PCR detection of existing and new polymorphism at the TIMP locus.Nucleic Acids Res. 1990; 19: 1165
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Retardation. American Psychiatric Press, Tokyo1987 3rd ed rev.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Retardation. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1994 4th ed.
- Les échelles d'évaluation clinique en Psychiatrie de l'enfant.Expansion Scientifique Française, Washington, DC1990
- Validation of the Revised Behavior Summarized Evaluation Scale (BSE-R).J Autism Dev Disord. 1995;
- Microscopic neuroanatomic abnormalities in autism.Pediatrics. 1991; 87: 791-796
- Echelle de développement psychomoteur de la première enfance.in: Brunet O Lezine I Le developpement psychologique de la première enfance. 2nd ed. PUF, Paris1976: 19-99
- Clinical research on Angelman syndrome in the United Kingdom: Observations on 82 affected individuals.Am J Med Genet. 1993; 46: 12-15
- Why are autism and the fragile-X syndrome associated?.Am J Hum Genet. 1991; 48: 195-202
- Hypoplasia of cerebellar vermal lobules VI and VII in autism.N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 1349-1354
- Sex chromosome and psychosis.Br J Psychiatry. 1988; 153: 675-683
- Troubles de la communication pré-verbale chez l'enfant autistique: mise au point d'une échelle d'évaluation.Actualités Psychiatriques. 1988; 4: 38-43
- Evaluation du langage.in: Lelord G Sauvage D L'autisme de l'enfant. Masson, Paris1991: 139-157
- Autism is not associated with the fragile X syndrome.Am J Med Genet. 1989; 34: 187-193
- What is associated with the fragile X syndrome?.Am J Med Genet. 1993; 48: 112-121
- Autism: Familial aggregation and genetic implications.J Autism Dev Disord. 1988; 18: 3-30
- A comparison of autistic syndromes with and without associated neurological problems.J Autism Dev Disord. 1984; 14: 105-111
- Autisme et psychoses de l'enfant.Soins Psychiatrie. 1987; 82: 15-17
- Urinary homovanillic acid levels in autistic children.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1988; 30: 93-98
- Normal and Abnormal Child Development: Clinical Methods and Pediatric Applications.Haeber, Paris1944
- Autism in Down's syndrome: Presentation and diagnosis.J Intellectual Disability Res. 1992; 36: 449-456
- Chromosome abnormalities in infantile autism and other childhood psychoses.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1985; 27: 293-304
- Molecular analysis and test of linkage between the FMR-I gene and infantile autism in multiplex families.Am J Hum Genet. 1994; 55: 951-959
- Possible association of c-Harvey-ras-1 (HRAS-1) marker with autism.Psychiatry Res. 1993; 46: 261-267
- Lack of association between three genetic markers of brain growth factors and infantile autism.Biol Psychiatry. 1994; 35: 281-283
- Complex segregation analysis of autism.Am J Hum Genet. 1991; 49: 932-938
- Amplification of human polymorphic sites in the X-chromosomal region q21.33 to q24; DXS17, DXS87, DXS287, and α-galactosidase A.Genomics. 1992; 13: 70-74
- Antécédents médicaux et familiaux dans les troubles globaux du développement de l'enfant (326 cas): étude clinique de la place des facteurs génétiques dans l'autisme.in: Medicine thesis. Medicine Faculty of Tours, New York1989
- The neurobiology and genetics of infantile autism.Int Rev Neurobiol. 1993; 35: 87-129
- Monoamines (serotonin and catecholamines) and their derivatives in infantile autism: Age-related changes and drug effects.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1992; 34: 593-603
- Catecholaminergic metabolism and autism.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1994; 36: 688-697
- Mendelian Inheritance in Man: Catalogs of Autosomal Dominant, Autosomal Recessive and X-Linked Phenotypes.9th ed. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore1990
- Instability of a 550-base pair DNA segment and abnormal methylation in fragile X syndrome.Science. 1991; 252: 1097-1102
- Studies of malformation syndrome of humans XXXIIIc: The FG syndrome.Am J Med Genet. 1982; 12: 147-154
- Association study with two markers of a human homeogene in infantile autism.J Med Genet. 1995; 32: 269-274
- Omithine trans carbamylase polymorphism detected by PCR introduction of DraI site.Nucleic Acids Res. 1990; 19: 690
- Autism and genetic disorders.Schizophr Bull. 1986; 12: 724-738
- Evidence for autosomal recessive inheritance in 46 families with multiple incidences of autism.Am J Psychiatry. 1985; 142: 187-192
- The UCLA-University of Utah epidemiologic survey of autism: Recurrence risk estimates and genetic counseling.Am J Psychiatry. 1989; 146: 1032-1036
- Mental retardation associated with acid mucopolysacchariduria, heparin sulfate type.J Pediatr. 1963; 63: 837-842
- Four PCR-based polymorphisms in the pseudoautosomal region of the human X and Y chromosomes.Hum Mol Genet. 1993; 2: 1978
- Autism and gentics: A decade of research.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988; 45: 953-961
- A twin study of autism in Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Norway and Sweden.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1989; 3: 405-416
- Mutations in the PAX3 gene causing Waardenburg syndrome type 1 and type 2.Nature Genet. 1993; 3: 26-30
- AhaII polymorphism in human X-linked proteolipid protein gene (PLP).Nucleic Acids Res. 1992; 19: 6057
- Case report of artism with interstitial deletion of chromosome 17 (p11.2) and monosomy of chromosome 5 (5pter-p 15.3).Psychiatric Genetics. 1996; 4: 109-111
- Advances in molecular analysis of fragile-X syndrome.JAMA. 1994; 271: 536-542
- Serum dopamine beta hydroxylase activity: Clinical applications in child psychiatry.J Autism Dev Disord. 1980; 10: 1-14
Received in revised form: August 11, 1995
Received: July 17, 1995
This study was supported by INSERM U316, INSERM Network 493001, CNRS UPR 23, Conseil Régional de la Région Centre, INSERM-FRANCE TELECOM convention 1993, Fondation Langlois.
© 1996 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc.