This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Several decades of research have led to different hypotheses about cognitive functioning in depression; one of the hypotheses states that there is altered functioning of the hemispheres during a depressive episode. Lateralization studies have found diminished neuropsychological functioning in depressive patients; especially right-hemisphere functions seem impaired.
In our study we used conventional neuropsychological tests to study shifts in hemispheric functioning. Neuropsychological testing before and after therapy in 52 (for the most part therapy-resistant) depressives showed no substantial effects in lateralized functioning. None of the measures enabled prediction of response to treatment; however 17 different interaction variables were identified, five of which make an unique contribution.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- (1987) 3rd ed. (rev.). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1980
- Minicompendium of rating scales for states of anxiety, depression, mania and schizophrenia with corresponding DSM-III syndromes.Acta Psychiatry Scand (Suppl). 1986; 326: 23-28
- Multilingual Aphasia Examination.University of Iowa, Washington, DC1983
- Contributions to Neuropsychological Assessment.Oxford University Press, Iowa City, IA1983
- Cerebral laterality and depression: Differences in perceptual asymmetry among diagnostic subtypes.J Abnorm Psychol. 1989; 98: 177-186
- Cerebral laterality and depression: Relations of perceptual asymmetry to outcome of treatment with tricyclic antidepressants.Neuropsychopharmacology. 1990; 3: 1-10
- The right cerebral hemisphere and psychiatric disorders.Oxford University Press, New York, London1990
- Neuropsychological assessment of depressed patients before and after drug therapy: Clinical profile interpretation.in: Flor-Henry P Gruzelier J Laterality and Psychopathology. Elsevier Scientific Publishers, Oxford1983: 83-102
- Neuropsychological test performance in depressed patients before and after drug therapy.Biol Psychiatry. 1984; 19: 55-72
- Gainotti G Caltagirone C Emotions and the Dual Brain. Springer Verlag, Amsterdam1989
- Ultradian rhythms of right and left hemisphere function.Intern J Neuroscience. 1989; 47: 57-65
- Diurnal variation of mood in depression: important or irrelevant?.Biol Psychiatry. 1993; 34: 201-203
- Changes in perceptual asymmetries with clinical improvement of depressives and schizophrenics.J Abnorm Psychol. 1982; 91: 45-54
- Hemisphere interactions in depression.in: Kinsbourne M Cerebral Hemisphere Function in Depression. American Psychiatric Press, Berlin, Heidelberg1988: 133-162
- Rhythms in human performance: 1 1/2-hour oscillations in cognitive style.Science. 1979; 204: 1326-1328
- Depression and hemisphere functions: Changes associated with unilateral ECT.Br J Psychiatry. 1978; 132: 560-567
- Neuropsychological Assessment.3rd ed. Oxford University Press, Washington, DC1995
- Manual of the Profile of Mood States. Educational and Industrial Testing Service, New York1981
- Psychological deficit in depression.Psychol Bull. 1975; 82: 238-260
- Hemispheric asymmetries of function in patients with major affective disorders.J Psychiat Res. 1995; 29: 173-183
- Diurnal variation of mood and neuropsychological function in major depression with melancholia.J Affect Disord. 1994; 32: 257-269
- Hypnotics as concurrent medication in depression.J Affect Disord. 1993; 28: 179-188
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors in resistant major depression.in: A double blind comparison of brofaromine and tranylcypromine in patients resistant to tricyclic antidepressants. J Affect Disord. 28. 1993: 189-197
- Perceptual assymetry, plasma cortisol, and response to treatment response in depressed patients.Biol Psychiatry. 1991; 30: 703-710
- Reliability and validity of some handedness questionnaire items.Neuropsychologia. 1974; 12: 43-47
- Cognitive impairment patterns in schizophrenia and affective disorder.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1987; 50: 895-899
- Perceptual Speed (identical forms).London House, San Diego1976
- Dichotic perception: Evidence for right hemisphere dysfunction in affective psychosis.Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 135: 224-237
Received in revised form: December 6, 1995
Received: February 4, 1994
This research was supported in part by grants from Ciba-Geigy AG, Switzerland and Wyeth BV, the Netherlands.
© 1996 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc.