This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Monozygotic twins discordant for schizophrenia were analyzed by two-dimensional (2-D) gel electrophoresis to identify extrahereditary factors important in the development of schizophrenia. Plasma protein patterns in 2-D gels of monozygotic twins discordant for schizophrenia were found to be significantly less alike than those of normal control monozygotic twins. Several polypeptide spots were found to be elevated in the plasma of the schizophrenic twin. One of these polypeptides, spot 782, was also found to be significantly (p < .001) elevated when schizophrenic patients were compared to unrelated normal control individuals. Spot 782 may be an isoform of haptoglobin. Quantitative variations in some plasma haptoglobin levels were seen between discordant twins, but not between unrelated schizophrenic and normal control individuals.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- T-cell subsets in acute psychotic schizophrenic patients.Biol Psychiatry. 1994; 35: 27-31
- Serum proteins in acutely psychotic patients.J Psychiat Res. 1971; 9: 1-9
- T-lymphocytes subpopulations in peripheral blood from schizophrenic patients.Biol Psychiatry. 1983; 18: 113-119
- Natural killer (NK) cell activity of lymphocytes of schizophrenic patients.J Neural Transm. 1983; 58: 99-106
- Serum immunoglobulin concentrations in patients admitted to an acute psychiatric inpatient service.Br J Psychiatry. 1985; 145: 661-666
- A study of serum proteins in acute schizophrenia.Clin Sci. 1965; 28: 469
- Increased serum interleukin 2 receptor concentration in schizophrenic and brain-damaged subjects.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989; 46: 292
- Methods for increasing the resolution of two-dimensional protein electrophoresis.Anal Biochem. 1988; 173: 424-435
- Cerebrospinal fluid protein variations in common to Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia.Appl Theor Electrophoresis. 1992; 3: 47-53
- Trace polypeptides in cellular extracts and human body fluids detected by two-dimensional electrophoresis and a highly sensitive silver stain.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 76. 1979: 4335-4339
- Lymphocyte subpopulations in peripheral blood from schizophrenic patients.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1980; 61: 313-318
- Elsie 4: Quantitative analysis of sets of two dimensional gel electrophoretograms.Anal Biochem. 1988; 169: 49-70
- Serum interleukin-6 in schizophrenic patients.Life Sci. 1991; 49: 61
- A study of antibody levels in alcoholic, depressive and schizophrenic patients.Ann Allergy. 1982; 48: 166-171
- Analysis of cerebrospinal fluid from patients with psychiatric and neurological disorders by two dimensional electrophoresis: Identification of disease-associated polypeptides as fibrin fragments.Electrophoresis. 1991; 12: 487-492
Received in revised form: August 14, 1995
Received: October 31, 1994
© 1996 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc.