This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We studied the induction of tetradecanoyl phorbol acetate-inducible sequences (TIS)1, 7, 8, 11, and 21 in rat cerebral cortex, hippocampus, and cerebellum after electroconvulsive shock (ECS). These genes were reported to be induced by depolarization in PC-12 cells. Single ECS induced TIS1, 8, 11, and 21, but not TIS7 genes in the rat brain regions examined. In cerebral cortex and hippocampus, induction of TIS1, TIS8, and TIS21 reached peak at 30 or 45 min after ECS. The induced mRNA of TIS1 and 21 decreased rapidly and returned almost to the basal level by 90 min after ECS, whereas those of TIS8 and 11 lasted longer. In cerebellum, TIS genes were induced and disappeared more rapidly than in the other two regions. The 10 and 20 daily ECSs did not affect the inducibility of TIS1, 11, and 21 in cerebellum, but the induction of TIS8 was attenuated by 35% after 20 daily ECSs. Our study indicated that ECS could induce some of the TIS genes in various rat brain regions, but the induction patterns were different depending on the TIS genes and brain regions. Our study also suggested that chronic ECS could not attenuate the induction of some immediate early genes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Activation of zinc finger encoding gene Krox-20 in adult rat brain: Comparison with zif268.Mol Brain Res. 1992; 13: 263-266
- Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction.Anal Biochem. 1987; 162: 156-159
- Rapid rise in transcription factor mRNAs in rat brain after electroshock-induced seizures.J Neurochem. 1990; 55: 1920-1927
- Mouse brain c-fos mRNA distribution following a single electroconvulsive shock.J Neurochem. 1989; 52: 1954-1957
- Prostatic nerve growth factor inducible A gene binds a novel element in the retinoblastoma gene promoter.Cancer Res. 1993; 53: 5597-5599
- Mechanism of the antidepressant action of electroconvulsive therapy.Lancet. 1978; i: 254-257
- Immediate early gene induction after neonatal hypoxia-ischemia.Mol Brain Res. 1993; 18: 228-238
- Expression of immediate early genes after treatment of human astrocytoma cells with radiation and taxol.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1993; 27: 637-642
- Primary response genes induced by growth factors and tumor promoters.Annu Rev Biochem. 1991; 60: 281-319
- Activation of tyrosine phosphorylation of 44-kDa mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) induced by electroconvulsive shock in rat hippocampus.J Neurochem. 1994; 63: 1979-1982
- Electroconvulsive shock reduces inositol 1,4,5-triphosphate 3-kinase mRNA expression in rat dentate gyrus.J Neurochem. 1994; 63: 1991-1994
- Induction of transiently expressed genes in PC12 pheochromocytoma.Oncogene. 1987; 1: 257-262
- Tyrosine phosphorylation of PLC-γ1 induced by electroconvulsive shock in rat hippocampus.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1993; 194: 665-670
- Proto-oncogene transcription factors and epilepsy.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1991; 12: 343-349
- C-fos mRNA expression following electrical-induced seizure and acute nociceptive stress in mouse brain.Epilepsy Res. 1989; 4: 156-159
- Sequence analysis reveals that the BTG1 antiproliferative gene is conserved throughout evolution in its coding and 3′non-coding regions.Gene. 1993; 129: 303-306
- Convulsant-induced increase in transcription factor messenger RNAs in rat brain.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 85. 1988: 7795-7799
- Psychopharmacology and electroconvulsive therapy.in: Hales RE Yudofsky SC Talbott JA American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Psychiatry. 2nd ed. American Psychiatric Press, New York1994: 897-1007
- Characterization of TIS7, a gene induced in Swiss 3T3 cells by the tumor promoter tetradecanoyl phorbol acetate.Oncogene. 1989; 4: 1263-1265
- The orphan nuclear receptor NGFI-B regulates expression of the gene encoding steroid 21-hydroxylase.Mol Cell Biol. 1993; 13: 861-868
- Chronic electroconvulsive seizures down-regulate expression of the immediately-early genes c-fos and c-jun in rat cerebral cortex.J Neurochem. 1990; 54: 1920-1925
Received in revised form: July 19, 1995
Received: December 30, 1994
This research was supported by the Genetic Engineering Research Grant from the Ministry of Education (1993) and Grant 01-93-142 from the Seoul National University Hospital Research Fund.
© 1996 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc.