This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The patterns of prolactin and thyrotropin (TSH) release after thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) (0.4 mg i.v.) and during the first session of a course of electroconvulsive treatment (ECT) were studied in women with major depression, 16 in pre- and 29 in postmenopausal status. The prolactin responses to both stimuli were lower in postmenopausal women, whereas the TSH responses were not different. The known correlation between the maximal prolactin response to ECT and the maximal response to TRH was significantly stronger in the group of premenopausal women (r = .8648, versus .4249 in the postmenopausal group, p < .02). A common underlying mechanism promoting prolactin release for both stimuli can be suggested, which diminishes after menopause, probably an influence of estradiol on the affinity of dopaminergic and serotonergic receptors. That mechanism does not interfere with the TSH release either by ECT or by TRH.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prolactin and thyrotropin in serum during electroconvulsive therapy in patients with major depressive illness.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1985; 72: 302-308
- Effects of vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, TRH, and dopamine on prolactin secretion in estrogen-primed postmenopausal women.Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1989; 121: 235-240
- Changes in pituitary thyrotropin-releasing hormone receptor levels and prolactin responses to TRH during the rat estrous cycle.Endocrinology. 1977; 100: 1505-1510
- Prolactin response to TRH and to ECT: A common mechanism?.Biol Psychiatry. 1989; 205: 106A
- Short and long-term fluctuations in plasma prolactin concentration in normal subjects.Acta Endocrinol. 1981; 97: 1-6
- Normal reference interval for thyrotropin response to thyroliberin: Dependence on age, sex, free thyroxine index, and basal concentrations of thyrotropin.Clin Chem. 1984; 30: 196-199
- The role of estrogen in the TSH and prolactin responses to thyrotropin-releasing hormone in postmenopausal as compared to premenopausal women.Horm Metab Res. 1992; 24: 528-531
- Prolactin response to thyrotropin-releasing hormone in normal subjects.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1973; 36: 3845-3850
- Physiological and pathological profiles of circulating human prolactin.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1973; 117: 757-773
- Interactions of oestradiol benzoate and promegestone upon basal and TRH-induced prolactin secretion in postmenopausal women.Clin Endocrinol. 1986; 24: 497-503
- Prolactin secretion in women with unipolar and bipolar depression.Psychiat Res. 1980; 3: 265-271
- A revised interpretation of the TRH test results in female depressed patients.J Affective Disord. 1989; 16: 203-213
- Estradiol regulates the transcription of the prolactin gene.J Biol Chem. 1982; 257: 2133-2136
- Prolactin response to electconvulsive therapy.Lancet. 1976; i: 936-938
- Prolactin response induced by ECT and TRH.Br J Psychiatry. 1986; 148: 721-723
- Thyrotropin and prolactin secretion during ECT: Implications for the mechanism of ECT action.Convuls Ther. 1990; 6: 214-220
- Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone and thyrotropin-releasing hormone in the hypothalamus of women: Effects of age and reproductive status.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1984; 58: 488-491
- The effect of oral contraceptive steroids on the response to thyroid-stimulating hormone.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1975; 40: 712-714
- Effects of estrogens on prolactin and thyrotropin response to TRH in women during the menstrual cycle and under oral contraceptive treatment.Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1976; 5: 429-437
- Serum thyrotropin, prolactin and growth hormone response to TRH during oestrogen treatment.Acta Endocrinol. 1977; 84: 23-35
- TRH-Stimulationstest mit alters- und geschlechtsabhaengigem TSH—Anstieg bei Normalpersonen.Klin Wochenschr. 1974; 52: 722-727
- Physiology of human prolactin.in: Yen SSC Jaffe RB Reproductive Endocrinology. W.B. Saunders Co, St. Louis, MO1978: 152-170
Received in revised form: July 14, 1995
Received: February 13, 1995
© 1996 J. Benjamin. Published by Elsevier Inc.