This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Twelve patients with obsessive—compulsive disorder were studied after the administration of a mixture of amino acids devoid of tryptophan (TRP) or a mixture containing all the essential amino acids, in a double-blind, crossover design. The TRP-free mixture caused a marked depletion of plasma TRP. After TRP decrease, mean ratings of obsessions and compulsions, measured by Visual Analogue Scales (VAS) ratings, did not worsen. In contrast with other reports in literature, TRP depletion also failed to alter mood in our subjects.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute tryptophan depletion blocks morphine analgesia in the cold-pressor test in humans.Psychopharmacology. 1992; 108: 60-66
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.3rd ed rev. American Psychiatric Press, New York1987
- The serotonin hypothesis of obsessive compulsive disorder: Implications of pharmacologic challenge studies.J Clin Psychiatry. 1992; 53: 17-28
- Tryptophan depletion in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder who respond to serotonin reuptake inhibitors.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994; 51: 309-317
- Mood-lowering effect of tryptophan depletion.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994; 51: 687-697
- Serotonin function and the mechanism of antidepressant action.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1990; 47: 411-418
- BMDP Statistical Software Manual. University of California Press, Washington, DC1990
- Efficacy of fluvoxamine in obsessive-compulsive disorder: A double-blind comparison with placebo.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989; 46: 36-44
- The Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale: I. Development, use and reliability.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989; 46: 1006-1011
- The Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale: II. Validity.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989; 46: 1012-1016
- A rating scale for depression.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-62
- Serotonergic function in obsessive-compulsive disorder: Behavioral and neuroendocrine response to oral m-chlorophenylpiperazine and fenfluramine in patients and healthy volunteers.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992; 49: 21-28
- Plasma tryptophan levels and plasma ratio tryptophan/neutral amino acids in patients with mood disorder, obsessivecompulsive disorder and normal subjects.Psychiatry Res. 1992; 44: 85-91
- (Version 1.0 program)NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule.in: Data entry and verification. Washington University School of Medicine, Berkeley, Los Angeles1990
- Decrease in plasma tryptophan after tryptophan-free amino acid mixtures in man.Life Sci. 1988; 42: 1551-1556
- Dose response decrease in plasma tryptophan and in brain tryptophan and serotonin after tryptophan-free amino acid mixtures in rats.Life Sci. 1989; 44: 971-976
- Cycloheximide blocks the fall of plasma and tissue tryptophan levels after tryptophan-free amino acid mixtures.Life Sci. 1991; 49: 1121-1128
- Controlled comparisons of clomipramine and fluoxetine in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder: Behavioral and biological results.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1990; 47: 926-932
- (Version III-R (DIS III-R))NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule.Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO1989
- Amino acid requirements of man.Fed Proc. 1949; 8: 546-552
- Fluvoxamine vs clomipramine treatment in obsessive-compulsive disorder: A preliminary study.New Trends Exp Clin Psychiatry. 1992; 8: 63-65
- Precursor control of neurotransmitter synthesis.Pharmacol Rev. 1981; 32: 315-335
- Tryptophan depletion causes a rapid lowering of mood in normal males.Psychopharmacology. 1985; 87: 173-177
- Biochemical aspects of tryptophan depletion in primates.Psychopharmacology. 1989; 98: 508-511
- Serotonergic responsivity in obsessive-compulsive disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987; 44: 946-951
Received in revised form: July 19, 1995
Received: August 31, 1994
© 1996 J. Benjamin. Published by Elsevier Inc.