This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We investigated dopamine transporter receptor ligand binding in the prefrontal cortex as a function of age in schizophrenic and control postmortem brains. [3H]GBR 12935 binding constants were calculated by Scatchard analysis from the autopsied brains from 29 individuals with schizophrenia, and 28 control subjects. There were wide interindividual variations in Bmax and KD that were not related to gender, age, or postmortem interval (PMI) in controls. While there were no significant associations between gender, PMI, and Bmax, or KD in individuals with schizophrenia, there was a significant negative correlation between age and Bmax (r = −.44, p = .02). The slope of the regression lines between age and Bmax for the two groups was significantly different. The results suggest a differential effect of age, or something associated with age, on [3H]GBR 12935 binding sites in the prefrontal cortex of controls and individuals with schizophrenia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Post-mortem distribution of dopamine and homovanillic acid in human brain, variations related to age, and a review of the literature.J Neural Transm. 1979; 45: 81-105
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Psychiatric Press, New York1980 3rd ed.
- Pharmacology of the mesocortical dopamine neurons.Pharmacol Rev. 1983; 35: 53-68
- Dopamine transporter mRNA content in human substantia nigra decreases precipitously with age.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 1992; 89: 7095-7099
- Cerebral glucography with positron tomography: Use in normal subjects and in patients with schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982; 39: 251-259
- [3H]GBR 12935 binding to the dopamine uptake sites in post-mortem brain tissue in schizophrenia.J Neural Transm. 1989; 77: 227-230
- Age-related changes in the human nigrostriatal dopaminergic system.Ann Neurol. 1990; 27: 157-161
- Lack of fit and pure error.in: Applied Regression Analysis. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Washington DC1966: 33-40
- Regional brain glucose metabolism in chronic schizophrenia: A positron emission transaxial tomographic study.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1984; 41: 293-300
- Diagnostic criteria for use in psychiatric research.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1972; 44: 1017-1021
- GB-STAT Professional Statistics & Graphics, Version 4.0.Dynamic Microsystems, Inc., New York1991
- The Prefrontal Cortex: Anatomy, Physiology and Neurophysiology of the Frontal Lobe.Raven Press, Silver Spring, MD1989
- Studies in post-mortem dopamine uptake II. Alterations of the synaptosomal catecholamine uptake in post-mortem brain regions in schizophrenia.J Neural Transm. 1987; 68: 303-313
- Characteristics of [3H]GBR 12935 binding in the human and rat frontal cortex.J Neurochem. 1991; 56: 1663-1672
- [3H]GBR 12935 binding to the dopamine transporter is decreased in the caudate nucleus in Parkinson's disease.J Neurochem. 1987; 49: 617-621
- Organization of dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in human striatum: receptor autoradiographic studies in Huntington's disease and schizophrenia.Synapse. 1988; 2: 546-557
- Aging produces a specific pattern of striatal dopamine loss—implications for the etiology of idiopathic Parkinson's disease.J Neurochem. 1992; 58: 642-648
- Applied regression analysis and other multivariate methods.in: Duxbury Press, New York1978: 99-100
- Aging and extrapyramidal function.Arch Neurol. 1977; 34: 33-35
- Rate of cell death in Parkinsonism indicates active neuropathological process.Ann Neurol. 1988; 24: 574-576
- Analysis of the radioligand binding experiments: A collection of computer programs for IBM PC.J Pharmacol Meth. 1985; 14: 213-228
- Fitting curves to data using nonlinear regression: a practical and nonmathematical review.FASEB J. 1987; 1: 365-374
- [3H]SCH 23390 labeled D1 dopamine receptors are unchanged in schizophrenia and Parkinson's disease.Eur J Pharmacol. 1985; 114: 235-237
- CNS dopamine autoreceptors: distribution, pharmacology and function.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1984; 430: 27-42
- Dopamine receptors and transporters in Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia.FASEB J. 1990; 4: 2737-2744
- Dopamine turnover and glutathione oxidation: implications for Parkinson disease.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 86. 1989: 1398-1400
- Monoamine re-uptake sites in the human brain evaluated in vivo by means of [11C]nomifensine and positron emission tomography: The effects age and Parkinson's disease.Acta Neurol Scand. 1988; 77: 192-201
- Physiological dysfunction of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988; 45: 609-615
- Persistence of cerebral metabolic abnormalities in chronic schizophrenia as determined by positron emission tomography.Am J Psychiatry. 1985; 142: 564-571
- Low frontal glucose utilization in chronic schizophrenia: A replication study.Am J Psychiatry. 1988; 145: 251-253
- Neuroleptics and the natural course of schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 1991; 17: 235-280
- Decrease density of human striatal dopamine uptake sties with age.Eur J Pharmacol. 1986; 126: 175-176
Received in revised form: February 23, 1995
Received: December 22, 1994
© 1995 Society of Biological Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc.