This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Pain ratings during the cold pressor test were significantly lower in female inpatients with borderline personality disorder who report that they do not experience pain during self-injury (BPD-NP group, n = 11), compared with similar patients who report that they do experience pain during self-injury (BPD-P group, n = 11), and normal female subjects (n = 6). Pain ratings were not significantly different in the BPD-P and normal control groups. Self-report ratings of depression, anger, anxiety, and confusion were significantly lower, and ratings of vigor significantly higher following the cold pressor test in the BPD-NP group, but not in the BPD-P group. Only anxiety was significantly lower in the normal control group following the cold pressor test. The implications and limitations of these preliminary findings are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Imipramine reduces experimental pain.Pain. 1986; 25: 245-257
- Effects of doxepin on perception of laboratory-induced pain in man.Pain. 1978; 5: 253-262
- Human pain responsivity in a tonic pain model: Psychological determinants.Pain. 1989; 37: 143-160
- Topographic brain measures of human pain and pain responsivity.Pain. 1989; 37: 129-141
- Thermal pain: Sensory (d′) and criterion (Lx) differences between psychiatric patients and normals.in: Paper presented to XXIst International Congress of Psychology, Paris, France1976
- Raised plasma metenkephalin in patients who habitually mutilate themselves.Lancet. 1983; : 545-546
- Naloxone decreases diurnal variation of pain sensitivity and somatosensory evoked potentials.Life Sci. 1978; 23: 1449-1459
- Analgesia to painful stimuli in affective illness.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 1148-1151
- Some physiological correlates of hunger and pain.J Exp Psychol. 1959; 57: 389-396
- Psychophysics II-scaling methods.in: Kling J.W. Riggs L.A. Experimental Psychology. ed 3. Sensation and Perception. Vol I. Holt Rinehart and Winston, Inc, New York1972
- Pain relief by antidepressants: Possible modes of action.Pain. 1985; 23: 1-8
- Suicidal and parasuicidal behavior in borderline personality disorder.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1985; 8: 389-403
- Differences in cognitive coping strategies among pain-sensitive and pain-tolerant individuals on the cold-pressor test.Behav Ther. 1992; 23: 31-41
- Cyclic changes in pain perception: An ROC analysis.Percept Psychophysiology. 1980; 27: 499-504
- Traumatic antecedents of borderline personality disorder.in: van der Kolk B.A. Psychological Trauma. American Psychiatric Press, Inc, Washington, DC1987
- Childhood trauma in borderline personality disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 1989; 146: 490-495
- Pain perception in patients with eating disorders.Psychosom Med. 1990; 52: 673-682
- Pain sensitivity in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.Biol Psychiatry. 1991; 29: 1073-1078
- The inner experience of the borderline self-mutilator.J Pers Dis. 1987; 1: 317-324
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Treatment of Parasuicidal Women: Treatment Manual. University of Washington, Seattle1983
- Signal detection theory and the psychophysics of pain: An introduction and review.Psychosom Med. 1976; 38: 79-94
- Profile of Mood States.Education and Industrial Testing Service, San Diego1971
- The effects of cigarette smoking on pain and anxiety.Addict Behav. 1984; 9: 265-271
- Naloxone and self-mutilation.Biol Psychiatry. 1983; 18: 99-101
- The peripheral pulse monitor—a review of electrical plethysmography.Anaesth Intensive Care. 1978; 6: 226-233
- Self-mutilation and suicide.in: Shneidman E.S. Suicidology: Contemporary Developments. Grune and Stratton, New York1976
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1987 (ed 3) Revised.
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R Personality Disorders (SCID II).Biometric Research Department, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York1987
- Applications of the Beck Depression Inventory.in: Sartorius N. Ban T.A. Assessment of Depression. Springer-Verlag, New York1986
- Endogenous opioids, stress induced analgesia, and post-traumatic stress disorder.Psychopharmacol Bull. 1989; 25: 417-421
- Tricyclic antidepressants for chronic low-back pain—mechanisms of action and predictors of response.Spine. 1986; 11: 661-665
- Studies on pain. Observations on pain due to local cooling and on factors involved in the cold pressor effect.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1943; 23: 123-142
Received in revised form: March 13, 1992
Received: January 3, 1992
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.