This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Nialamide, an MAO inhibitor, was given per os (PO) to a normal man who volunteered in two separate trials (total intake 300 mg and 1000 mg, respectively), and his bufotenin excretion was followed by consecutive urine samples. In both experiments the excretion rose well above the values measured from the same test subject when not taking nialamide (median 0.089 nmol/mmol creatinine, range 0.002–1.78). At its highest, the excretion was 16.5 nmol/mmol creatinine, and the maximum urinary output was 495 nmoles (56 μg) in 24 hr. The levels of bufotenin in plasma required for the excretion of the latter amounts are not far from those that produce psychic symptoms in man.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The enzymatic N-methylation of serotonin and other amines.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1962; 138: 28-33
- Methylation hypothesis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1979; 36: 303-307
- The administration of methionine to chronic schizophrenic patients: A review of ten studies.Biol Psychiatry. 1973; 8: 209-225
- Effect of neuroleptics on indoleamine-N-methyltransferase activity and brain metabolism of bufotenin.Biochem Pharmacol. 1981; 30: 571-575
- Urinary excretion of free bufotenin by psychiatric patients.Biol Psychiatry. 1988; 24: 441-446
- Bufotenine reconsidered.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1985; 72: 447-450
- Schizophrenia: a new approach.J Ment Sci. 1952; 98: 309-315
- Single dose of tranylcypromine increases human plasma melatonin.Biol Psychiatry. 1986; 21: 1085-1089
- Mass fragmentographic quantitation of urinary N,N-dimethyltryptamine and bufotenin.J Chromatogr. 1979; 162: 579
- Increased urinary excretion of bufotenin by violent offenders with paranoid symptoms and family violence.Lancet. 1984; ii: 700
- Observations on the metabolism of the psychotomimetic indolealkylamines: Implications for future clinical studies.Biol Psychiatry. 1990; 28: 841-848
- Study of metabolism of psychotomimetic indolealkylamines by rat tissue extracts using liquid chromatography.Biochem Pharmacol. 1987; 36: 1503-1508
- Urinary excretion of 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine, N,N-dimethyltryptamine and their N-oxides in the rat.Biochem Pharmacol. 1987; 36: 2235-2237
- In vivo metabolism of 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine and N,N-dimethyltryptamine in the rat.Biochem Pharmacol. 1987; 36: 1509-1512
Received in revised form: August 19, 1992
Received: May 2, 1992
☆This work was supported by grants from the Signe and Ane Gyllenberg Foundation and the Medical Research Council of the Academy of Finland.
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.