This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Daytime melatonin was measured by radioimmunoassay in 113 depressed outpatients before and after treatment with imipramine, mianserin, phenelzine, and placebo. At baseline, elevation of daytime melatonin values above expected levels suggests nonspecificity of the assay. After 6 weeks of treatment, melatonin levels were somewhat lower in patients on imipramine, mianserin, and placebo and slightly increased in patients treated with phenelzine. Changes in melatonin levels during treatment were significantly different for phenelzine compared with the other treatments. These findings are consistent with alterations in β-adrenergic functioning or changes in serotonin levels.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Melatonin in relation to body measures, sex, age, season and the use of drugs in patients with major affective disorders and healthy subject.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1984; 9: 261-277
- A chronobiological study of melatonin and cortisol secretion in depressed subjects: Plasma melatonin, a biochemical marker in major depression.Biol Psychiatry. 1984; 19: 1215-1228
- Supersensitivity and subsensitivity of the α-adrenergic receptor in pineal gland regulated by catecholamine transmitter.in: Proc Nat Acad Sci USA. 70. 1973: 2411
- Patterns of melatonin rhythms in depression.J Neural Transmiss. 1986; 21 (Suppl): 269-290
- An inverse correlation between serum levels of desmethyl imipramine and melatonin-like reactivity in DMI-responsive depressives.Psychiatry Res. 1981; 4: 109-113
- A rating scale for depression.Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-61
- Effect of treatment of rats with antidepressants on melatonin concentrations in the pineal gland and serum.Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1982; 222: 534-543
- Regulation of rat pineal melatonin synthesis: Effect of monoamine oxidase inhibiton.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1982; 25: 327-338
- Pineal N-acetyltransferase and hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase: Control by the retinohypothalamic tract and suprachiasmatic nucleus.Brain Res. 1979; 174: 245-362
- Pineal gland in organ culture.Mol Pharmacol. 1970; 6: 164-171
- Phenelzine v imipramine in atypical depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1984; 41: 669-677
- Abnormal 24 hour pattern of melatonin secretion in depression.Lancet. 1979; 2: 1362
- Monoamine oxidase in chronic schizophrenia: Studies of hormonal and other factors affecting enzyme activity.Br J Psychiatry. 1977; 130: 151-158
- Human plasma melatonin is elevated during treatment with the monoamine oxidase inhibitors clorgyline and tranylcypromine but not deprenyl.Psychiatry Res. 1986; 17: 119-127
- Selective inhibition of MAO-A but not MAO-B activity increases rat pineal melatonin.J Neurol Transmiss. 1985; 61: 265-270
- Single dose tranylcypromine increases human melatonin.Biol Psychiatry. 1986; 21: 1085-1089
- Recent studies in the neuroendocrinology of major depressive disorders.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1980; 3: 313-326
- Desmethyl imipramine treatment increases melatonin production in humans.Biol Psychiatry. 1986; 21: 406-410
- Research diagnostic criteria: Rationale and reliability.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1978; 35: 773-779
- Simultaneous determination of imipramine, desipramine and their 2-hydroxy metabolites in plasma by ion-pair reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography with amperometric, detection.J Pharmaceut Sci. 1981; 70: 257-261
- Determination of mianserin and metabolites in plasma by liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection.J Pharmaceut Sci. 1982; 71: 889-892
- The daily profile of plasma melatonin in obese and Prader-Willi syndrome children.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1982; 55: 491-495
- The effect of desipramine upon melatonin and cortisol secretion in depressed and normal subjects.Br J Psychiatry. 1985; 147: 389-393
- Pineal-hypothalamic-pituitary function in patients with depressive illness.in: Fuxe K Gustafsson J-A Wetterberg L Steroid Hormone Regulation of the Brain. Permagon Press, Oxford1981: 397-403
- Circadian rhythms in melatonin and cortisol secretion in depression.Adv Biochem Psychopharmacol. 1984; 39: 197-205
- Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1985: 526-528 (cd 7.)
Received in revised form: March 4, 1988
Received: October 29, 1987
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.