This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The authors studied antidiuretic hormone (ADH) secretion in schizophrenics on antipsychotic drugs. The mean plasma level of ADH is lower among schizophrenics than among controls at comparable values of plasma osmolality. In regression analysis of the relationship between plasma ADH and plasma osmolality, the slope of the regression line is gentler and the threshold of ADH secretion is lower in schizophrenics than that in control subjects. The authors suggest that the relationship between plasma ADH and plasma osmolality may be different in schizophrenics receiving antipsychotic drugs than in controls.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mechanism of altered water metabolism in psychotic patients with polydipsia and hyponatremia.N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 397-403
- Acute psychosis, increased water ingestion, and inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion.Am J Psychiatry. 1975; 132: 907-910
- Neuroendocrinology.in: Williams WH Textbook of Endocrinology. H. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1981: 589-645
- The osmoregulation of vasopressin.Kid Int. 1976; 10: 25-37
- Hypostheuria as a marker for selfinduced water intoxication and schizophrenic disorders.Am J Psychiatry. 1984; 141: 1258-1260
- Evaluation of patients with self-induced water intoxication and schizophrenic disorders (SIWIS).J Nerv Ment Dis. 1984; 172: 552-555
- Water metabolism and the neurohypophysial hormones.in: Bondy PK Rosenberg LE Metabolic Control and Disease. H. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1980: 1241-1323
Received in revised form: January 6, 1989
Received: June 8, 1988
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.