This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- DSM-III: Diag-nostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Psychiatric Association, Washington1980: 159-160 ed 3.
- DSM-III: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Psychiatric Association, Washington1980: 176-178 ed 3.
- Low plasma levels of dexamethasone are associated with elevated levels of Cortisol in psychiatric patients given dexamethasone.Am J Psychiatry. 1984; 141: 1619-1621
- The Dexamethasone Suppression Test for diagnosis and prognosis in psychiatry.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1985; 42: 1193-1204
- Influence of nicotine on cardiovascular and hormonal effects of cigarette smoking.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1984; 36: 74-81
- Smoking and drug metabolism.in: Balfour DJK Nicotine and the Tobacco Smoking Habit. Pergamon Press, New York1984
- Psychological and physiological changes during tobacco-abstinence in habitual smokers.J Clin Psychol. 1978; 34: 759-764
- Abnormal dexamethasone suppression in normal females.Br J Psychiatry. 1983; 142: 489-497
- Tobacco withdrawal symptoms: An experimental analysis.Psychopharmacology. 1984; 84: 231-236
- Tobacco withdrawal.in: Kozlowski LT Annis H Cappell F Glaser F Goodstadt M Israel Y Kalant H Sellers EM Vingilis E Research Advances in Alcohol and Drug Problems. Plenum, New York1987 (in press).
- Signs and symptoms of tobacco withdrawal.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1986; 43: 289-294
- A carbon monoxide analyzer for measurement of smoking behavior.Behav Ther. 1976; 9: 293-296
- Stress alters the Dexamethasone Suppression Test in rhesus monkeys.Psychopharmacol Bull. 1983; 19: 542-544
- Dexamethasone Suppression Test in recently detoxified alcoholics: Clinical implications.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1984; 4: 94-97
- Effects of abstinence from tobacco smoking on physiological and psychological arousal levels in habitual smokers.Psychosom Med. 1977; 39: 25-38
- Effect of smoking on prednisone, prednisolone, and dexamethasone pharmacokinetics.J Pharmacokinet Biopharmacol. 1981; 9: 1-14
- Changes in cigarette smoking prevalence in the US: 1955 to 1983.Ann Behav Med. 1985; 7: 5-9
- Cigarette dependence.Br Med J. 1971; 2: 115
- Urinary adrenaline concentrations during 10 days of smoking abstinence.Psychopharmacology. 1984; 84: 141-142
Received: January 1, 1987We thank Merrell Dow for providing nicotine gum and Margorie Ornsteen and Gail Streckler for help in conducting the study.
☆Supported by a Research Scientist Development Award (DA-00109) from the National Institute on Drug Abuse
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.