This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tryptophan pyrrolase in ethanol administration and withdrawal.Adv Exp Med Biol. 1973; 35: 105
- The effects of ethanol on tryptophan pyrrolase activity and their comparison with those of phenobarbitone and morphine.Adv Exp Biol Med. 1975; 59: 229
- Enhancement of rat brain tryptophan metabolism by chronic ethanol administration and possible involvement of decreased liver tryptophan pyrrolase activity.Biochem J. 1979; 178: 575
- Enhance-ment of rat brain metabolism of a tryptophan load by chronic ethanol administration.Br J Pharmacol. 1980; 68: 22
- The effects of ethanol on rat liver and brain tryptophan metabolism.Subst Alcohol Actions/Misuse. 1980; 1: 507
- Activation of tryptophan pyrrolase after chronic alcohol administration.Subst Al cohol Actions/Misuse. 1982; 2: 225
- Ethanol impairs tryptophan transport into the brain and depresses sero-tonin.Life Sci. 1981; 29: 2751
- Depression, suicide, and aggression in alcoholics and their relationship to plasma amino acids.Psychiatry Res. 1984; 12: 219
- Dynamics of kynurenine excretion in urine during the management of the alcohol withdrawal syndrome.in: Bokii IV Zachepitskii RA Treat-ment and Rehabilitation of Alcohol Patients. RSFSR Ministry of Health, Leningrad1977: 88
- Dietary precursors and brain neuro-transmitter formation.Annu Rev Med. 1981; 32: 413
- Serum indole-3-acetic acid in control subjects and newly abstinent alcoholics after an oral loading with β-Trp: A preliminary study using liquid chromatography with amperometric detection.Anal Biochem. 1984; 142: 480
- Analytical methodology for assays for serum tryptophan metabolites in control sub-jects and newly abstinent alcoholics: A preliminary in vestigation using liquid chromatography with ampero-metric detection.J Chromatogr. 1984; 297: 271
- Elevated brain tryptophan and enhanced 5-hydroxytryptamine turnover in acute hepatic heme deficiency: Clinical implications.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1985; 232: 337
- Hepatic tryptophan oxygenase activity as a marker of changes in protein metabolism during chronic ethanol treatment.Acta Pharmacol Toxicol. 1974; 35: 155
- Effect of chronic ethanol treatment on tryptophan oxygenase, tyrosine aminotransferase and general protein metabolism in the intact and perfused rat liver.Biochem Pharmacol. 1974; 23: 21
- Zimelidine-induced variation in alcohol intake by nondepressed heavy drinkers.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1984; 35: 374
- Relationship of dietary tryptophan and niacin to tryptophan metabolism in al-coholics and non-alcoholics.Am J Clin Nutr. 1974; 27: 572
- Effects of pyridoxine on hepatic tryptophan pyrrolase activity in rat during chronic ethanol administration.Biochem Exp Biol. 1980; 16: 391
- Effects of multivitamin treatment on the activity of rat liver tryptophan pyrrolase during ethanol administration.Acta Vitaminol Enzymol. 1981; 3ns: 199
- Pyridoxine deficiency and tryptophan metabolism in chronic alco holies.Am J Clin Nutr. 1966; 19: 379
- studies on tryptophan metabolism in man; the effect of hormones and vitamin B6 on urinary ex-cretion of metabolites in the kynurenine pathway.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1974; 136 (Suppl): 1-186
- Tryptophan catabolism by tryptophan pyrrolase in rat liver.J Biol Chem. 1975; 250: 5009
- Importance of tryptophan pyrrolase and aromatic acid de-carboxylase in the catabolism of tryptophan.Biochem Pharmacol. 1978; 27: 763
Received in revised form: June 8, 1987
Received: August 18, 1986
☆Supported by a Merit Review research grant from the Veterans Administration.
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.