This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Memory functioning was contrasted in 40 schizophrenic patients with and without tardive dyskinesia (TD). Visual and verbal memory tests were used to investigate specific types of impairments. The presence of TD was ascertained using the Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS). TD patients scored significantly lower than non-TD patients on two measures of visual learning, though no differences were found for verbal learning or immediate recall. These results are consistent with previous reports that schizophrenic patients with TD demonstrate impaired cognitive functioning. They also raise the possibility that the neurochemical and structural changes underlying TD may produce specific deficits in memory for visual materials. In addition, a significant relationship was found between total score on the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS) and performance on all of the test measures included in the cognitive test battery. This demonstrates the importance of attending to the overall level of schizophrenic symptomatology when evaluating results from experimental learning tasks.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Choline acetyltransferase (chAT) activity differs in right and left human temporal lobes.Neurology. 1981; 31: 799-805
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.3rd ed. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1980
- A survey of tardive dyskinesia in psychiatric outpatients.Am J Psychiatry. 1977; 134: 1367-1370
- Mechanisms underlying tardive dyskinesia.in: Yahr M Proceedings of the Association of Research in Nervous and Mental Disease. Raven Press, New York1976
- Task Force Report of the American Psychiatric Association on Late Neurological Effects of Antipsychotic Drugs.American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1980
- A multiple choice type of the visual retention test.Arch Neurol Psychiatry. 1950; 64: 699-707
- Revised Visual Retention Test: Clinical and Experimental Applications.4th ed. Psychological Corporation, New York1974
- Psychopathology and other behavioral considerations for the clinical neuropsychologist.in: Handbook of Clinical Neuropsychology. vol. 2. John Wiley and Sons, New York1986
- Tardive dyskinesia: Clinical correlation with computed tomography in patients aged less than 60 years.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1983; 46: 1037-1040
- A group test for assessing hand and eye dominance.Am J Psychiatry. 1962; 45: 271-276
- The significance of brain damage in persistent oral dyskinesia.Br J Psychiatry. 1970; 116: 271-275
- Tardive dyskinesia and dementia.Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 135: 500-504
- Computerized tomography in patients with tardive dyskinesia.Am J Psychiatry. 1976; 133: 578-579
- ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology.in: Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Washington, DC1976: 34-37
- Effects of psychiatric disorders and their somatic treatments on neuropsychological test results.in: Handbook of Clinical Neuropsychology. John Wiley and Sons, New York1981
- Evaluation of CT scans in tardive dyskinesia.Am J Psychiatry. 1980; 137: 247-248
- Computed tomography in tardive dyskinesia.Br J Psychiatry. 1980; 136: 606-608
- Iatrogenic morbidity in patients taking depot fluphenazine.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 976-977
- Tardive dyskinesia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982; 39: 473-481
- Results from prospective study of tardive dyskinesia development: Preliminary findings over a 2-year period.Psychopharmacol Bull. 1982; 18: 82-83
- Neuropsychological Assessment.2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York1983
- Correlates of lateral ventricular size in chronic schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 1986; (in press).
- SPSS Users Guide. McGraw-Hill, Chicago1983
- Cognitive impairment in patients with tardive dyskinesia.J Nerv Men Dis. 1985; 173: 156-160
- Lateralization in norepinephrine in human thalamus.Science. 1978; 200: 1411
- The Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale.Psychol Rep. 1962; 10: 799-812
- A new rating scale for Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1984; 141: 1356-1364
- A standardization memory scale for clinical use.J Psychol. 1945; 19: 87-95
- Cognitive impairment in tardive dyskinesia.Psychiatry Res. 1985; 16: 331-337
- Cognitive functions in tardive dyskinesia.Psychol Med. 1983; 13: 671-674
Received in revised form: April 13, 1987
Received: February 11, 1987
☆Supported by Schizophrenia Biological Research Center Grant 4125-019 from the Veterans Administration and Grant MH37922 from the NIMH.
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.