This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Olfactory discrimination was measured in patients with schizophrenia who were on neuroleptic medication and was compared with other psychiatric patients receiving neuroleptics and normal controls. The performance of the patients with schizophrenia was significantly lower than the psychiatric and normal controls. The latter two groups performed at equivalent levels. The findings are discussed with respect to olfactory deficits found in patients with cerebral lesions and with abnormalities of specific neurotransmitter systems.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Olfactory acuity to a pheromonal substance and psychotic illness.Biol Psychiatry. 1984; 19: 899-905
- Development of the University of Pennsylvania Smell Test: Standardized micro encapsulated test of olfactory function.Physiol Behav. 1984; 32: 489-502
- Smell identification ability: Changes with age.Science. 1984; 226: 1441-1443
- The olfactory bulb in Alzheimer's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1984; 47: 56-60
- Psychophysiology and genetics: A key to psychopathology research.Psychopathology. 1983; 20: 371-383
- Olfactory discrimination in alcoholic Korsakoff s patients.Neuropsychologia. 1975; 13: 173-179
- Functions of the frontal cortex of the rat: A comprehensive review.Brain Res Rev. 1984; 8: 65-98
- Etiology and expression of schizophrenia: Neurobiological and psychosocial factors.Ann Rev Psychol. 1986; 37: 291-319
- Review of Neuroscience.Macmillan, New York1980
- An assessment of olfactory deficits in patients with damage to prefrontal cortex.Neuropsychologia. 1980; 18: 621-628
- Olfactory memory in patients with anterior temporal lobectomy.Cortex. 1977; 13: 445-452
- Olfactory dysfunction in Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1985; 142: 781-782
- Olfactory tubercle choline acetyltransferase activity in Alzheimer-type dementia, Down's syndrome and Huntington's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1984; 47: 1138-1139
- Olfactory impairment in Parkinson's disease.Neurology. 1983; 33: 943-946
- Olfactory deficits in Alzheimer's disease.Biol Psychiatry. 1986; 21: 116-118
Received in revised form: May 28, 1987
Received: March 10, 1987
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.