This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Comparison of normal and medicated schizophrenic groups on (he auditory P300 component of the event-related potential confirmed our earlier finding of a left temporal deficit in P300 amplitude in schizophrenia. A difference in P300 topography between groups was evident in both color mapping and in grand-averaged waveforms, which was statistically validated by the presence of a group-by-scalp region interaction (p < 0.05) The left temporal area in schizophrenics was denoted as the region of greatest deficit and of maximal statistical separation (p < 0.05) relative to normals by t statistic mapping (SPM), Hotelling's T-squared “protected” contrasts of individual scalp regions, and the relative ratio of left scalp amplitudes to right scalp amplitudes. The left temporal scalp region yielding maximal group separation in the previous study also statistically separated the schizophrenic group from the normal group. This feature correctly differentiated 9 of II schizophrenics and 7 of 9 controls. These findings are compatible with other histological, metabolic, and electrophysiological studies suggesting temporal lobe abnormality in schizophrenia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Psychiatric Association, Washington DC1980 ed 3.
- Basal ganglia and limbic system pathology in schizophrenia: A morphometric study of brain volume and shrinkage.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1985; 42: 784-790
- A priori tests in repeated measures designs: Effects of nonsphericity.Psychometrika. 1981; 46: 241-255
- Event-related potentials to high-incentive stimuli in unmedicated schizophrenic patients.Biol Psychiatry. 1983; 18: 661-674
- Postmortem evidence of structural brain changes in schizophrenia: Differences in brain weight, temporal horn area, and parahippocampal gyrus compared with affective disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1986; 43: 36-42
- The middle evoked response components and schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 1977; 3: 93-104
- Left brain, retrotransposons, and schizophrenia.Br J Med. 1986; 293: 3-4
- Surprisel … Surprise?.Psychophysiology. 1981; 18: 493-515
- Cognitive psychophysiology: The endogenous components of the ERP.in: Callaway E Tueting P Koslow S Event-Related Potentials in Man. Academic Press, Orlando, FL1978: 349-441
- Topographic display of evoked potentials: Clinical applications of brain electrical activity mapping (BEAM).Ann NY Acad Sci. 1982; 388: 183-196
- Significance probability mapping: An aid in the topographic analysis of brain electrical activity.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1981; 51: 455-462
- P300 in schizophrenia: State or trait marker?.in: 25th Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (abstract), Washington, DC1986: 146
- Preprocessing by factor analysis of ccntrooccipital EEG power and asymmetry from three subject groups.Ann Biomed Engin. 1978; 6: 108-116
- A diagnostic interview: The Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1978; 35: 837-844
- The Global Assessment Scale: A procedure for measuring overall severity of psychiatric disturbance.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1976; 33: 768-771
- P300 in schizophrenia: Differentiation of schizophrenics and normal controls is enhancement by the Goodin subtraction procedure.Int J Neuroscience. 1988; (in press).
- P200 topographic alterations in schizophrenia: Evidence for left temporal-centroparietal deficits.in: Johnson R Parasuraman R Rohrbaugh JW Current Trends in Event-Related Potential Research. Elsevier, Amsterdam1988 (in press).
- Diagnostic criteria for use in psychiatric research.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1972; 26: 57-63
- EEG spectral analysis in schizophrenia.Br J Psychiatry. 1980; 136: 445-455
- Effects of perceptual and cognitive difficulty on P3 and RT in young and old adults.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1982; 54: 311-321
- Age-related variations in evoked potentials to auditory stimuli in normal human subjects.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1978; 44: 447-458
- Brain function in psychiatric disorders. III. Regional cerebral blood flow in unmedicated schizophrenics.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1985; 42: 329-334
- Endogenous potentials generated in the human hippocampal formation and amydala by infrequent events.Science. 1980; 210: 803-805
- A Primer of Multivariate Statistics.ed 2. Academic Press, Orlando, FL1985
- Multiple comparisons for repeated measures means.Multivar Behav Rex. 1982; 17: 87-92
- Augmenting mental chronometry: The P300 as a measure of stimulus evaluation time.Science. 1977; 197: 792-795
- A metric for thought: A comparison of P300 latency and reaction time.Science. 1981; 211: 77-80
- Scalp distributions of event-related potentials: Art ambiguity associated with analysis of variance models.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1985; 62: 203-208
- Multivariate Statistical Methods.McGraw-Hill, New York1976
- Altered P300 topography in schizophrenia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1983; 40: 729-734
- Altered topography of EEG spectral content in schizophrenia.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1983; 56: 263-271
- The hippocampal formation as a source of the slow endogeneous potentials.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1983; 55: 417-426
- P300 latency correlates with Digit Span.Psychophysiology. 1983; 20: 665-669
- Psychophysiology of P300.Psychol Bull. 1981; 89: 506-540
- Cognitive event-related potential correlates of schizophrenia.Psychol Bull. 1986; 100: 43-66
- Late event-related potentials and psychopathology.Schizophr Bull. 1977; 3: 105-120
- Correlations between P300 topographic mapping and positive symptoms. 1988; (in submission).
- Research Diagnostic Criteria for a Selected Group of Functional Disorders.ed 2. Biometrics Research Division, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York1975
- Human endogenous limbic potentials: Crossmodality and depth/surface comparison in epileptic subjects.in: Advances in Psychology: Tutorials in Event-Related Potential Research: Endogenous Components. vol. 10. North Holland, New York1983: 217-232
- On the neural origin of P300 in man.in: Motivation, Motor and Sensory Processes of the Brain. Progress in Brain Research. vol 54. Elsevier, Amsterdam1980: 51-56
Received in revised form: August 7, 1987
Received: March 5, 1987
☆Supported by the Veteran's Administration, NIMH 40,799. the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Research Center and NIMH Research Training Grant T32MH16259.
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.